PDA

View Full Version : Question on a Remington 870 P

FLRon
08-02-08, 21:47
Greetings from a new member and a first time owner of a shotgun. After much consideration I selected a Remington 870 P with the 18" barrel and 2 shot extension with the parkerized finish.

The main purpose of this shotgun will be home defense and range use. I would like to be able to swap out the barrel and use it for duck hunting when i head up to North Dakota in the Fall.

I looked on the Remington website but did not see it, so my question to all is, can you get Remington to make a 30" barrel in the parkerized finish?

The second minor question is, does the 870 P use a different magazine cap that is parkerized from the other 870 models? I just curious if I need to designate that when ordering.

Thanks for your input.

CLHC
08-02-08, 22:02
Greetings and Welcome to the M4C!

Here's an interesting <link (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11636)> just in case.

All of Remington’s 870’s have interchangeable parts, even if they have cosmetic
differences.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Dan Goodwin
08-03-08, 07:36
Bass Pro Shop frequently has racks with Remington 870 barrels of different persuasions on them. Check the Remington website.

For duck hunting with a close finish match (probably oughta krylon the whole rig for hunting anyhow), get a 28- or 30-in. Remchoke bbl. Replace the extended tube with a standard mag tube cap.

While you're at it, get a Brownell's XP mag tube spring and aluminum follower. Then get a mag tube limiter so you're 870 can hold no more than two in the tube.

You have the very shotgun we issue our patrol officers. I recommend that they take their work guns out hunting (game that doesn't require 3-shot plug) and playing at the skeet and wobble trap field. Breaks the guns in well and teaches them to shoot them as shotguns should be shot.

FLRon
08-03-08, 08:26
Thank you Dan! Exactly what I was looking for. Could you explain the use of Krylon as far as which particular product and where to apply? How will that affect the finish of the parkerization and walnut stocks?

Deciding on which shotgun to get was an interesting process. I was attracted to the Marine Magnum for a while but the more I learned, i realized that model was based more on the Express build. The Police Magnum seemed to have everything important upgraded to some degree, so it became obvious in my mind as to what I wanted if I were to have just one great shotgun.

Could you tell me what you like best for sights? The front bead is OK I'm sure, but if you had your pic, what do you prefer?

Thanks for the links CLHC! I saved them for future reference.

Dan Goodwin
08-03-08, 21:26
Go look at the painted rifle sticky file in Custom Builds; that's what I'm talking about.

If you don't want duck, doves, deer, deviant bad guys or flying monkeys to see you, you don't want a rifle or shotgun that is target designator black.

mopar
08-06-08, 12:13
I was attracted to the Marine Magnum for a while but the more I learned, i realized that model was based more on the Express build.

Where did you get that infromation? Before I got my marine magnum I spoke to a rep over at Remington and he told me the only part from the express was the ISS plastic trigger housing and stock he said everything else was from the P model especial the attention to detail in assembly due to the electroless nickel coating and there are no dimples in the tube and it has the same mag cap as the P as well as machine parts vs powdered metal cast.

FLRon
08-06-08, 12:42
Hi Mopar. I wish I could pull the source quickly, but frankly I did so much reading from numerous Google searches and I would be hard pressed to find it.

Please know that I am just relating something that I read in a couple of places, and not something that I have first hand knowledge about. If I can track down the source, I'll pass it along.

f.2
08-10-08, 16:38
_____