PDA

View Full Version : Century VZ2008 issue

Vintovka
11-01-15, 07:38
My VZ2008 has an issue with feeding/cycling. Before I even shot it, I thought that the bolt carrier moved awfully sluggishly. Fast forward to its first range outing, the bolt carrier didn't have the strength to fully chamber the first round. I've observed that the first 5-6 rounds from a fully loaded magazine struggle the most (when the spring tension is highest in the magazine). Once I get below 22-23 rounds, the rifle cycles much more reliably, but still has hiccups now and then. Since I don't get to go to the range a lot, I figured I'd just keep shooting it and try to wear it in. 400 rounds later, it cycled noticeably more reliably, but still would have trouble pushing the next round into battery sometimes.

Upon taking it apart, I don't really see any wear marks anywhere. What could be causing this?

Joe R.
11-01-15, 13:12
Century is not held in high regard when it comes to build quality. Having said that my vz2008 has been 100% and accurate to boot. There may be some tolerance stacking/build factors involved.

I would be sure the gun is properly lubed and shoot the snot out of it to see if it wears in. No, no gun "should" need this, however some in fact do.

wanderson
01-26-16, 15:44
I've had a VZ-2008 for a few years, out of the box the action was smooth, smoother than my WASR. But before my first range trip I took it apart to clean & lube it, when I put it back together something was binding. Couldn't identify what it was, everything looked right, but I broke it down again and SLOWLY re-assembled it and it worked fine after that. Not sure what was off but there's several great videos on how to remove & reinstall the bolt, it's different from an AK but once it's done a few times it's simple.

Mine's been great, light recoil and accurate @ 100 yards

Fiorina
01-26-16, 20:48
What kind of magazines are you using? Is there a chance there's gunk in them? It's also conceivable that you may need a new recoil spring. It could be too well used and not have enough umph left in it. Seeing as how these probably came in as parts kits

Fiorina
01-26-16, 20:49
I didn't check the date of the thread before posting, wonder if the op got it figured out?

Vintovka
01-27-16, 12:29
I didn't check the date of the thread before posting, wonder if the op got it figured out?

Haven't been home again since posting to work with the rifle at all, but you might have a good idea about the magazines. They're Czech surplus and appear to be in decent shape, but I haven't taken them apart. Could be some cosmoline or something in there. Also likely going to pre-emptively order new springs so I can rule that potential issue out next time I go shooting (never hurts to have extra parts on hand anyway).

So I'm going to:

-Disassemble/clean the magazines
-Disassemble, clean, and carefully reassemble the rifle
-Replace recoil/piston springs (if the first two attempts aren't successful)

I really like the VZ2008 overall, so I hope the issue gets resolved as easily as possible. Appreciate the input.

Fiorina
01-28-16, 06:55
I would definitely take the mags apart for a cleaning and to check the followers. Rule out the simple stuff

wanderson
01-28-16, 08:56
Next time I open up my VZ2008 I'll take a look at the recoil spring and see if it's the same length as one of my AK springs.
I just replaced the recoil springs in my WASR & Draco with Wolff xtra power springs, not much difference in the Draco as it had a smooth action out of the box and a slightly longer/stronger stock spring than the WASR. The WASR however is noticeably stronger now. WASRs tend to kind of drag when they hit the G2 trigger hammer,

96 SS
02-02-16, 11:19
They are not the same length

wanderson
02-03-16, 15:40
You are correct sir, not even close. Guess that's what they mean by 'short stroke'.

Or maybe 'short stroke' is what happened to my brain when I thought these springs were the same...too much time with the AK and not enough with the VZ.

Vintovka
05-22-16, 11:32
Bought all new springs and a recoil spring guide from Apex yesterday. Hopefully that addresses the issue. Fantastic little carbine aside from the feeding issues.

Vintovka
06-30-16, 17:35
Finally had a chance to shoot it today. Yesterday I took it apart, replaced every spring, cleaned everything and put a layer of M Pro-7 on all the moving parts. Then very deliberately and carefully reassembled according to instructions I found. Also disassembled and cleaned the magazines and oiled the followers. Performed perfectly this afternoon. I put 120 rounds of Tula FMJ and 80 rounds of Brown Bear HP through it. No stoppages at all and it's also delightfully accurate. Glad it's working well

dwhitehorne
06-30-16, 19:31
Amazing what a little cleaning and lube will do for what we think is a problem gun. David

mtdawg169
06-30-16, 21:27
I can't get the piston out of my vz2008. It's binding and is impossible to remove without a pair of pliers and a light hammer