PDA

View Full Version : A CASE FOR THE COMPACT

Dean51
11-01-15, 11:55
When I first got into law enforcement I would have never entertained the idea of carrying a compact service pistol, after all, why would you want to? A full size pistol allows for longer sight radius and larger magazine capacity, why on earth would you pick a compact? Well a few years ago while watching a training video from Paul Howe I noticed that he carried and recommended a compact Glock for tactical use, I was in the market for a new duty pistol at the time so I took MSG Howe's advice and bought a Glock 19, mounted a Surefire x300 on it and went about my way.

After carrying the compact Glock for about a year I realized the method behind the madness. The first thing that I noticed was that I did not shoot any worse with the compact, if fact my accuracy was not affected at all. I performed exactly the same with the compact as I did with my full sized guns. The other thing that I noticed was the compact was a "do all" gun. As Paul Howe is fond of saying "it's one club you can use to play the whole course". It was big enough for duty use but is was small enough to be a concealed carry gun. Well my HK addiction kicked in and to replace my Glock I chose an HK45C. Since then the 45c has become my favorite pistol that I have ever owned, I love everything about it. It has been my constant companion for 2 years now. It rides in a Safariland holster with a 10rd elephant foot mag and a Streamlight TLR-3 while I'm on duty. Off duty it holds the standard 8rd mag and is carried in a Kydex IWB holster.

Now I don't claim to be the sharpest tack in the box and I am admittedly reluctant to change, but after spending the last few years carrying a compact service pistol I can't imagine going back to a full size. Now that I look around I see a lot of people carrying compacts for a service weapons and if memory serves me I remember Ken Hackathorne saying on a video (I think one of LAV's episodes) that the handgun he sees most in special forces is the Glock 19 (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyone else make the switch from full size to compact for a service pistol?

11-01-15, 13:33
I did as well for duty. Went from the G21 to the G19. I'm 100% satisfied with the switch. Not only is it heck of a lot lighter (easier on the body), I didn't really lose out on anything. Functionality is the same. Didn't give up on capacity either. I've read numerous posts in the past on other forums and the consensus seems like if it's for duty, it MUST be a full size platform. Why? If the individual officer can shoot the compact version just as well and qualify with it, why not? I know there are arguments for both sides but if the officer can run the compact just as hard and effectively as the full size counterpart, rock on.

Code3Patriot
11-01-15, 14:29
I had a similar experience. I went from a P226 .357 to a P229 .357 the final nine months I worked before getting injured and eventually taking a service connected disability retirement.

I lost nothing capacity wise, it was more out of the way jumping into and out of patrol vehicles, I qual'd just as well with it and the smaller profile made it feel more handy on traffic stops, building searches and any other time I had to break leather.

jschmitt08
11-01-15, 14:42
I had a similar experience. I went from a P226 .357 to a P229 .357 the final nine months I worked before getting injured and eventually taking a service connected disability retirement.

I lost nothing capacity wise, it was more out of the way jumping into and out of patrol vehicles, I qual'd just as well with it and the smaller profile made it feel more handy on traffic stops, building searches and any other time I had to break leather.
I also carry a P229 on duty. I don't feel like I lose anything carrying it compared to a full size gun. Not real fond of the weight though, which is why I carry a Glock 23 in my new unit. I like the idea of only carrying one gun for everything.

jck397
11-01-15, 17:36
I had a job where I had a combination of concealed carry and open carry, and my dress could be anything from suit and tie to plainclothes street crimes enforcement (jeans and t-shirt) to raid vest/duty belt. I started out with a G19/26 combo, and fully intended to add a 17 with an X300 to the mix. However, after some time with the 19, I never got around to it. Instead I just ran the 19, with 17 mags as backups in my mag pouches.

I really like the way that the 19 balances, and I'm a firm believer in having the light bezel extend out past the muzzle in case a contact shot is needed. I really see no need for a full-size gun when a mid-size is available--I can't see any situation where I'd take a 17 over a 19, a 226 over a 229, a P320 full size over a compact, etc.--the loss of concealability/versatility isn't worth the trade off for any marginal gains in sight radius and capacity.

Code3Patriot
11-01-15, 18:08
I also carry a P229 on duty. I don't feel like I lose anything carrying it compared to a full size gun. Not real fond of the weight though, which is why I carry a Glock 23 in my new unit. I like the idea of only carrying one gun for everything.

My department was SIG only, so no G19/23/32 as a option on duty. Not knocking the SIG or the .357 - we had fantastic success with them in OIS (and still do since I left) - but if i had the choice I would have gone with Glock for weight savings and added capacity.

RCI1911
11-01-15, 18:46
I prefer my M&P9c to my full size guns. I like the balance, the weight, the concealability and accuracy and follow-up shot speed are the same. I've seriously considered selling my full-size guns. I also prefer a Commander sized 1911 to the 5" gun. They are just a better balanced gun IMO.

MegademiC
11-01-15, 18:55
I use an mp40fs. Between a G19 and 17 in size. If I went glock, it would be a g19, no question. Just big enough to feel full sized.

Knorth
11-01-15, 19:01
Yup. Went to the Glock 23. For some reason, the smaller the gun the better I shoot. I can also shoot a PM9 just as good if not better.

seb5
11-01-15, 19:14
In 1999 my department bought and issued handguns. I hung up my 1911 and was issued a Glock 22 and a 27. After about a month I swapped both for a 23. I'm still carrying it and after 2 extractors, 4 recoils spring assemblies, 2 sets of sights, and over 24,000 rounds I see no reason to switch back. I shoot better with it and it offers no disadvantages unless you have large paws. My other Glocks are all 19's so I see no reason for me to ever own a larger pistol unless I started gaming again.

titsonritz
11-01-15, 22:43
I just sold my last full size pistol. Still have three compacts and a subcompact.

Blastem
11-02-15, 22:59
Yep, I know an Army SF guy who's unit deployed with G19s

Benito
11-02-15, 23:43
I'll go against the grain. For me, I shoot the G17 far better than the G19. Maybe there is something else at play that I am not aware of, but the G19 feels like it's squirming around in my hands. The grip just feels too short, and I have hands that are smaller than average.
I have no idea how guys with large hands prefer the G19 to the G17 as far as shootability goes.

Texaspoff
11-02-15, 23:50
Same story here...When I started 20 years ago I was carrying full sized pistols, Sig P220's. Ran a 229 for short time, then got all tied up in Glocks. Started with a G22 for a bit then went with the 23 and ran them for about 17 years then had G19's for the last 3 years or so. Recently moved over to a P320C. I started with Sig, and will be going out with them. But I feel ya on the compacts, they just carry and shoot better for me. I have also always carried off duty what I carry on duty, and compacts lend themselves to this a bit better than full sized platforms.

TXPO

RHINOWSO
11-03-15, 07:33
When people mention sight radius as being a deciding factor in choosing a carry / duty weapon, I shake my head. This isn't bullseye competition people.

And extended duty magazines fit just fine in my compact carry handgun...

williejc
11-03-15, 15:10
Much of requiring one size is the standardization mentality. I recognize and criticize this mentality but am not qualified to comment with authority. However, I do remember when the Illinois State Police required left-handed officers to use right hand holsters so that it would look right in formation.

Slvr Surfr
11-08-15, 17:35
I carry a Gen4 G34/X300u for duty use. For me personally, I shoot it better and more accurately then my Gen3 G19. I like the idea of weight savings using a compact gun, but when carrying everything else (leather Sam Brown, taser, spray, ASP, in-car mic, spare mags, handcuffs) the weight savings wouldn't be noticeable to me. I honestly may have to try a Gen4 19 to make a more "apples to apples" comparison, but I personally won't be making the switch.

I think the old idea of using only full size guns for duty usage is for more than just increased sight radius. When 1911's used to be the main semi-auto duty gun, the full size govt model was the most reliable size. Add to that, smaller guns tend to recoil more so than full size guns (especially in any caliber larger than 9mm). I think with modern fighting pistols, reliability is non-issue, so we are left with sight radius and perceived felt recoil as the reason for using full size guns.

Tomac
11-09-15, 04:17
SIG P320 Compact w/17rd reloads does it all for me, both EDC & nightstand.
Tomac

K1tt3n5
11-09-15, 10:30
Of all of my glocks I shoot my 19 and 23 the best. The 17 while having less perceived recoil feels large to me. I can't conceal either very well so I usually carry a 42 or 26 that I also shoot better than my 17. My 21 is by far the least accurate gun in MY hands.

jyo
11-24-15, 01:31
Well, quite some time back, in the old revolver days, I carried a Ruger 4" Security Six everywhere when in the wild (back when there was a lot of wild areas)---never thought much about it---that's what there was and that was that. I felt well armed and often carried a few loose rounds for reloading (before speed loaders were common). Things changed when I started managing gun stores---at about the same time, semi-auto pistols started their climb in popularity. I traded for a mint, polished blue, fixed-sight Browning Hi Power (P35) as I perceived a need for more ammo on board (especially after a riot or two). There wasn't a great choice back then, so I carried that P35 almost every day for 12-13 years or so before we were required to carry DA/SA pistols after a home gunsmithed 1911 ADed (no one was hurt) in our back room when an employee was showing the pistol to another employee. At that time, I switched to the only other pistol I had that was DA/SA---a Walther P5 9mm---lighter in weight, completely reliable---but I felt a few more rounds on board would be better. Shorty after, HK introduced their USPf 9mm pistol (15 rds) and that was the gun I carried for many years while still in the firearms business. The USPf became my house gun when it was replaced by a smaller and lighter HK USPc in 9mm---this in turn was replaced by my current pair of HKs---A P2000 DA/SA and its little brother, a P2000sk (light LEM). And here we are today---the above pistols are now joined by two even smaller guns; a Kahr CW-9 and a Walther PPS, both in 9mm. I feel well armed with most any of these pistols either around the property or for concealed carry. Things have come a long ways...

JCast265
11-27-15, 19:16
I have a full size and compact M&P and prefer the fit and feel of the compact more, am just as accurate with it and can use either the compact or full size mags. I love my compact and if I could only own one it'd be that one.

treecop
11-27-15, 19:54
I switched from a g22 to a 23 a little over a year ago and haven't looked back. The 19/23 frame carries easier and shoots as well, if not better, in my hands. Fit should be a primary deciding factor, caliber and capacity are secondary. A universal handgun makes as much sense as a universal shoe size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk