PDA

View Full Version : 60 minutes: "Is the U.S. ready for smart guns?"

Waylander
11-02-15, 12:03
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/smart-guns-60-minutes-lesley-stahl/

SF Police Chief: "Smart guns are a no-brainer."

I watched this piece on 60 Minutes yesterday and while I wasn't surprised by most of it there was at least one lone voice of reason.

"Every time there's a massacre at a school, like the recent one in Oregon, it reignites the debate for more gun control -- not only because of the mass shootings, but because of the hundreds of incidents of gun violence every day on our streets and in our homes. One idea that keeps coming up is smart guns. These are firearms that only work when they're fired by their owner. It seems that "gee whiz" technology is seeping into every corner of our lives. Why not guns?"

So your gun won't activate or has been hacked? Here, download and install this patch before you can fire it.

"Steve Sanetti: There's a lot of skepticism and a lot of resistance to them.

Steve Sanetti, president of the gun lobby and trade group the National Shooting Sports Foundation, represents over 12,000 gunmakers, dealers, and businesses.

Lesley Stahl: Does your organization see the smart gun as gun control?

Steve Sanetti: People that own guns are not the ones saying, "I'm the one that wants this. Please develop it." It's coming from the gun control side. It's coming from people who, frankly, really want to put as many obstacles to a gun going off as they can."

At one point the reporter turned to New Jersey state senator Loretta Weinberg who introduced a bill (that passed) that made it law if and once smart guns were sold, only "smart" guns could be sold from then on. Supposedly she didn't foresee the unintended consequences.

"The passion has been fueled by the NRA which says on its legislative website -- smart guns could open the door to a ban on all other guns. Why do they say that? Well, it's actually happened! In 2002, New Jersey's governor signed a law that became known as "the mandate."

"Loretta Weinberg: Because of the intervention of the NRA and the Second Amendment folks.

Lesley Stahl: That, they say, the reason they intervened is because of the mandate.

Loretta Weinberg: Right. It isn't the law that's stopped the development. It is the people who threatened folks who actually wanted to sell such a gun.

"As of today, you cannot find a smart gun to buy in the United States. Senator Loretta Weinberg told us that she plans to ask the New Jersey state legislature to repeal the mandate - but replace it with a demand that dealers display at least one smart gun in their stores."

That sounds reasonable. :sarcastic:

"Steve Sanetti: Firearms are safe. The firearms manufacturers include appropriate locking devices for their guns along with them when they're shipped. They may be low-tech, but they work.

He says adding high-tech to guns may make them less safe. For example, the batteries that operate the smart guns.

Steve Sanetti: We've all had battery-operated devices where the battery dies.

Lesley Stahl: So the people who are working on this tell us that the batteries will have a 10-year life -

Steve Sanetti: What about the 11th year?

Lesley Stahl: Well, you change the battery.

Steve Sanetti If you remember. If -

Lesley Stahl: No, you're going to get a warning.

Steve Sanetti: If the gun is stored inside a cabinet, or box, or a safe or something like that, you might not see the warning."

Ryno12
11-02-15, 12:13
Now, if I could check emails, browse the internet, and play Sudoku on my smart gun, that would kick ass!

MegademiC
11-02-15, 12:15
Maybe we should have smart microphones that turn off when someone starts talking about things they know nothing about.

Firefly
11-02-15, 12:32
Smart Guns like in Aliens? Cool.

Smart guns that make it hard for me to use my mechanical device in time of need? Bad.

It'd be unnecessary and pointless. By their logic, if everyone had to blow into a breathalyzer; it would stop DUIs wouldn't it?

Any computer program is hackable. There is a video where they hacked the Tracking Point scope.

It's a stupid idea devised by stupid people to offer the illusion of security.

MountainRaven
11-02-15, 12:37
The question is not, "Are Americans ready for smart guns?"

The question is, "Are smart guns ready for Americans?"

Waylander
11-02-15, 12:42
Now, if I could check emails, browse the internet, and play Sudoku on my smart gun, that would kick ass!

Sudoku? Of all games you pick Sudoku? :D

Smart Guns like in Aliens? Cool.

Smart guns that make it hard for me to use my mechanical device in time of need? Bad.

It'd be unnecessary and pointless. By their logic, if everyone had to blow into a breathalyzer; it would stop DUIs wouldn't it?

Any computer program is hackable. There is a video where they hacked the Tracking Point scope.

It's a stupid idea devised by stupid people to offer the illusion of security.

Don't people realize technology is "smarter" than us faulty humans? :sarcastic:

It'll be great and cool and awesome! It's the future. Silicon Valley is already on board. They know what they're doing.
Smart phones...Intelligent, self driving cars...that have all been, ahem..hacked..ahem.

But it's for the greater good. It's for the children. It's worth the trade-off! :sarcastic:

Firefly
11-02-15, 12:50
Everyone knows Dr. Strangelove but who remembers Fail Safe.

I would LITERALLY entreat my personal well-being to a retarded, schizophrenic 10 year old with pyromania before I would a computer.

That was kind of the moral of Terminator, Fail-Safe, and to some extent Robocop.

Robocop has evidence Dick Jones is bad. Robocop tries to arrest Dick Jones. Directive 4.

Machines and programs can't understand intent or morals. They are typically only as smart as their creator and can be overridden by yet smarter people still.

And to this day people still line up to surrender their life to a system of devices that are prone to breakage, logic errors, and malicious programming

nova3930
11-02-15, 12:52
We can talk about smart guns just as soon as they're reliable and secure enough for police and military use....

Crow Hunter
11-02-15, 12:58
We can talk about smart guns just as soon as they're reliable and secure enough for police and military use....

This.

I am all for smart guns. I would love to have a gun that only I or my wife could fire.

However, it would infinitely more valuable to a police officer or a soldier. No gun takeaways and no reason to fear soldiers weapons falling into the wrong hands.

If they aren't ready for that, they aren't ready for me to use.

Waylander
11-02-15, 13:08
I wouldn't doubt if we aren't far from it. I could see quite a few police chiefs and military commanders jumping at the chance. We can't assume they all have the safety of their officers and soldiers at heart instead of their political aspirations.

The military is already using smart projectiles.

SteyrAUG
11-02-15, 13:10
Because computers in cars has worked so well...

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-02-15, 13:20

Yep. And those guns are professionally maintained...

Another Progressive idea that doesn't address the actual issues. Most of these ASsers were not prohibited people, so what would that do? Wanna bet that the Gen2.0 guns would have a remote disable feature so that if people had their gun rights taken away, the gun would deactivate.... and we know who else would have control of that....

Firefly
11-02-15, 13:48
Yep. And those guns are professionally maintained....

Aaahh.....No. No, no.

If you want to destroy delicate, expensive equipment, give it to a cop.
BTDT, seen it, witnessed it, still sometimes can't believe it

And then comes the inevitable castigation of "This/you/you assholes is/are why we can't have nice things!!!"

Those policy books and case laws don't write themselves, ya know

sevenhelmet
11-02-15, 13:49
Because computers in cars has worked so well...

Not to mention the "unquestionable" reliability of electronic quick-access security containers and biometric readers. Those never fail to activate when needed.

Someone please explain to me how having a "smart gun" is any better than storing your personal firearm(s) in a residential security container or safe?

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-02-15, 14:34
Not to mention the "unquestionable" reliability of electronic quick-access security containers and biometric readers. Those never fail to activate when needed.

Someone please explain to me how having a "smart gun" is any better than storing your personal firearm(s) in a residential security container or safe?

Has no one seen the movie "Skyfall"???

usmcvet
11-02-15, 15:04
They mentioned the iPhone finger print scanner. I don't know about you guys but mine is not reliable. If your hands are damp forget it! I remember when Uncle Mikes came out with a holster like this several years ago. I called and asked about it. The person on the phone was irritated when I pointed out I live in Vermont and gloves are worn for 1/4 of the year! Her solution was to cut the finger off your glove. Ummm no thanks.

Moose-Knuckle
11-02-15, 15:37
Sorry but this is pure bovine-feces.

Smart guns, bullet IDs (serialized individual bullets), blah, blah . . .

Ed L.
11-02-15, 15:44
The NJ future smart gun requirements specifically exempt the police.

Myself, I want an Iphone as reliable as my AK47--not the only way around.

Waylander
11-02-15, 16:09
From the article:

15 years ago gunmaker Smith & Wesson promised the Clinton White House to develop smart guns as part of a deal to fend off liability litigation.

I could see the chain of events going something like this.

Since gun bans and ammo bans haven't worked and are less popular than ever, it's all going to be about hitting gun owners in the pocket books.

Gun and ammo manufacturers and distributors will continue to get sued more and more for a variety of reasons. They're going to pass that cost onto consumers and as consumer demand drops, maybe they start to think about offering smart guns and ammo to be able to stay afloat.

The consumer may be soon need to carry gun liability insurance or else lose everything if sued. Or maybe we will be required to carry liability insurance for guns.
As existing guns get more expensive to insure, people may be forced to buy smart guns to get enough of an insurance break to even own a gun. It may not happen overnight but as owners of existing guns die off and only smart guns are manufactured that could be the new normal.

Think it can't happen? There is already talk about getting insurance breaks for owning self-driving cars since there is the perception they can make us safer.

Firefly
11-02-15, 16:21
And....I can still buy an ax without showing ID.

More laws, taxes, and rules. The joys of a free country.

ScottsBad
11-02-15, 16:28
I am all for smart guns. I would love to have a gun that only I or my wife could fire.

However, it would infinitely more valuable to a police officer or a soldier. No gun takeaways and no reason to fear soldiers weapons falling into the wrong hands.

If they aren't ready for that, they aren't ready for me to use.

DON'T BE FOOLED! The real purpose of smart guns IS NOT TO ENSURE THE IDENTITY OF THE OWNER/USER, it is to include RADIO FREQUENCY DETECTORS, AND A BACKDOOR GUN SHUTDOWN DEVICE.

AND THEY WILL MAKE HACKING THE GUN A FELONY like removing the serial numbers. Of course we know that only the criminals will hack the guns.

We must resist electronics in guns at all cost.

Dist. Expert 26
11-02-15, 16:32
This is yet another absolutely retarded idea from the left. What a surprise.

My question is this- why do we try to engage in a reasonable debate with these people? They know full well that these ideas are asinine, they only propose them with the intention of enacting a backdoor gun ban. My response would be as follows- "No. That's stupid. You know it's stupid. Take your nanny state somewhere else.". Of course there would likely be a few expletives thrown in for emphasis, but you get the point.

SteyrAUG
11-02-15, 16:59
Seems like every 10 years, since the late 80s, they trot this shit out.

I really thought we killed this crap in 1999 after the NRA boycott of Smith & Wesson.

Firefly
11-02-15, 17:05
I'm all for common sense compromise.

We'll do smart guns if media submits to MMPI tests and drug test.

Likewise all members of government must release all STD records and drug tests.

sevenhelmet
11-02-15, 17:42
Has no one seen the movie "Skyfall"???

Why do you think he left that POS gun in the Dragon pit?

I freaking hate that part of the movie though. It was an overt propaganda push. How many sedentary sheltered liberal JB fans do you think saw that movie and went "Oh, that's a good idea! They should do that for real!"

wildcard600
11-02-15, 19:28
Maybe we should have smart microphones that turn off when someone starts talking about things they know nothing about.

Say goodbye to 99% of "news" and "non-fiction" programming on tv/radio. not that it would be a bad thing.

TAZ
11-02-15, 20:51
I will be ready to embrace smart gun technology when USSS, and all other LEO agencies, particularly those who are responsible for VIP protection details, have field tested then for 25 years and can accurately report Five 9 reliability. Till then these folks can go choke on a bag of dicks.

JoshNC
11-02-15, 23:48
I will be ready to embrace smart gun technology when USSS, and all other LEO agencies, particularly those who are responsible for VIP protection details, have field tested then for 25 years and can accurately report Five 9 reliability. Till then these folks can go choke on a bag of dicks.

Exactly.

Moose-Knuckle
11-03-15, 00:12
DON'T BE FOOLED! The real purpose of smart guns IS NOT TO ENSURE THE IDENTITY OF THE OWNER/USER, it is to include RADIO FREQUENCY DETECTORS, AND A BACKDOOR GUN SHUTDOWN DEVICE.

AND THEY WILL MAKE HACKING THE GUN A FELONY like removing the serial numbers. Of course we know that only the criminals will hack the guns.

This mirrors my thoughts on the concept.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-03-15, 01:29

Crap, now I have to wrap my gun, head and junk in tin foil? Gun to make it keep working, head to keep out the aliens mind control and my junk to protect it from cell phone signals. I'm going to look like I'm a reject from the Wizard of Oz.

OH58D
11-03-15, 08:06
If all that was available was a "Smart Gun", I'd probably start arming myself with a Crossbow. For those in California, I remember even that weapon being banned there, and that was the 1970s.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-03-15, 08:37
If all that was available was a "Smart Gun", I'd probably start arming myself with a Crossbow. For those in California, I remember even that weapon being banned there, and that was the 1970s.

It's not the arrow...