PDA

View Full Version : How Good is Fiocchi Ammo?

Hwikek
11-04-15, 00:09
The only Fiocchi I've ever shot caused one failure in my G19 that was "flawless" before that. It gave me such a start that I kept disassembling the pistol after every round of Fiocchi for about 30 more rounds before I felt comfortable enough to just shoot what I had left of it. I never found any squibs but since I've never heard a round that was under powered before I wasn't going to take any chances. Did I just happen to get a bad round or is this unremarkable for Fiocchi 115gr?

Voodoo_Man
11-04-15, 05:07
Different ammo will shoot different in the same gun. For example I know Fiocchi shoots slightly left at 25y for me, Winchester White Box is nearly dead one and PMC Bronze shoots a little low.

Every gun is different, sometimes every large batch of ammo is different (very minimal difference) at distance. Fiocchi is good to go.

Leuthas
11-04-15, 05:30
I've used fiochi a great deal in the past for personal training as well as providing for an event or class... For that area of use it is good to go.

wahoo95
11-04-15, 07:08
Any ammo that is mass produced can have a bad cartridge slip past QC....especially when you factor in the high production numbers on automated machines. Sometimes the difference may be a slight difference in case dimensions, powder charge, etc.

If you shoot several boxes and experience multiple issues then you can say there's an ammo issue

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NickySantoro
11-04-15, 09:04
No difficulties with Fiocchi so far in multiple calibers.

WillBrink
11-04-15, 09:09
Always worked as range ammo for me. Don't recall any issues. Always seemed hotter than other range ammo in my pistols, but I never chrono'd it and it was a subjective impression.

Hwikek
11-04-15, 10:25
Well I'll give it another go when I see it on sale again. I was just surprised to see the malfunction when I'd never had an issue before shooting Blaser brass cased ammo, issues with BTF though we're a different story. I believe I put roughly 200 rounds of Fiocchi through the gun and that one malfunction was the only issue I had.

wahoo95
11-04-15, 10:32
Keep shooting long enough and eventually you'll run into an ammo related issue with most brands.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WillBrink
11-04-15, 10:40
Well I'll give it another go when I see it on sale again. I was just surprised to see the malfunction when I'd never had an issue before shooting Blaser brass cased ammo, issues with BTF though we're a different story. I believe I put roughly 200 rounds of Fiocchi through the gun and that one malfunction was the only issue I had.

If you didn't have issues with it in the past, maybe a bad batch. There's usually some brand of ammo that your gun(s) don't like for what ever reason. All my 1911s hated the Remington UMC stuff for some reason. That was the only range ammo that gave me trouble. Seemed under powered and (if correct) likely kept the guns from properly cycling.

Hwikek
11-04-15, 10:57
Alright, thanks for the info everybody. I just wanted to be reasonably sure on whether there was anything to be concerned about Fiocchi but it looks like it might have just been a fluke. I'm glad I asked here before writing the brand off as I'd hate to not have another option for reasonably priced brass cased ammo.

Flankenstein
11-04-15, 11:26
No problems here...lots of different calibers too.

kerplode
11-04-15, 15:06
I've fired lots and lots of Fiocchi in several different calibers and never had any issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and use it for training.

Bad rounds slip by in every manufacturer. Hell, about a month ago I had a squib round in a box of RA40T of all things. I'll probably set the rest of that lot aside for training, but I'm not going to swear off Winchester forever because of it...

JC5188
11-04-15, 15:31
I've used their 9mm and .45 for range ammo. Local lgs bags it and sells it bulk. As stated by others, never a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone

williejc
11-04-15, 17:18
No duds in 2000 rds 9mm range ammo.

montyb
11-04-15, 17:43
I had good results until I had a squib out of a 38 they did shoot well...

HKGuns
11-04-15, 18:20
I too have had very good luck with Fiocchi, mostly 9mm and 45ACP for range fodder.

k30l4
11-05-15, 22:41
I have always had good results with fiocchi. Is well priced and cases are great for reloading. I would choose fiocchi over Winchester wb.

Bret
11-07-15, 09:23
The only Fiocchi I've ever shot caused one failure in my G19 that was "flawless" before that. It gave me such a start that I kept disassembling the pistol after every round of Fiocchi for about 30 more rounds before I felt comfortable enough to just shoot what I had left of it. I never found any squibs but since I've never heard a round that was under powered before I wasn't going to take any chances. Did I just happen to get a bad round or is this unremarkable for Fiocchi 115gr?
You didn't mention what type of failure you had. Was it a failure to eject, a failure to feed, etc.? Why would you have to disassemble the pistol after every round?

I've been shooting Fiocchi 9mm for years. It's all been good ammo and I've had zero trouble out of it. At first it was hotter than most 9mm and burned very clean. I'm talking so clean that you could practically reload the cases without cleaning them. This Fiocchi was made in Italy. Then they began to import a special version for the US. The cases were marked Fiocchi-USA. This ammo was also imported from Italy. It burned clean as before, but was not loaded as hot. The "USA" thing seemed to indicate a lower pressure for the US market. Seveal years ago I purchased a couple of cases that were made in their new Missouri factory. I was disappointed that it went from burning clean to dirty, but it still functioned 100%. These cases were significantly hotter than the prior Fiocchi I'd purchased. Because of this, I only use it in certain pistols and rifles that I know won't be impacted by the hotter loading. I have not purchased any since, but I wouldn't hesitate and understand that it's not loaded as hot now.

BTW, once I was sorting through some of my Fiocchi spent cases and found one marked 9x21. The case was the same length as 9mm, but it was just marked incorrectly.

Hwikek
11-07-15, 14:54
You didn't mention what type of failure you had. Was it a failure to eject, a failure to feed, etc.? Why would you have to disassemble the pistol after every round?

I've been shooting Fiocchi 9mm for years. It's all been good ammo and I've had zero trouble out of it. At first it was hotter than most 9mm and burned very clean. I'm talking so clean that you could practically reload the cases without cleaning them. This Fiocchi was made in Italy. Then they began to import a special version for the US. The cases were marked Fiocchi-USA. This ammo was also imported from Italy. It burned clean as before, but was not loaded as hot. The "USA" thing seemed to indicate a lower pressure for the US market. Seveal years ago I purchased a couple of cases that were made in their new Missouri factory. I was disappointed that it went from burning clean to dirty, but it still functioned 100%. These cases were significantly hotter than the prior Fiocchi I'd purchased. Because of this, I only use it in certain pistols and rifles that I know won't be impacted by the hotter loading. I have not purchased any since, but I wouldn't hesitate and understand that it's not loaded as hot now.

BTW, once I was sorting through some of my Fiocchi spent cases and found one marked 9x21. The case was the same length as 9mm, but it was just marked incorrectly.

Okay, I had an issue where the pistol didn't cycle completely but honestly it's been long enough since I shot the Fiocchi that I don't remember what the exact malfunction was. I think what made me concerned that it was a squib was that the casing hadn't been ejected. I don't recall the slide having traveled that far either but again I don't remember exactly what happened as it was several months ago. Up until that point I had no problems with the gun failing to eject and chamber the next round. I only had problems with where the ejected casing was going :( I was just disassembling the pistol afterwards to see if the bore was obstructed. It never was and after enough rounds I stopped checking and just shot up the remaining Fiocchi.

opngrnd
11-07-15, 15:03
If you didn't have issues with it in the past, maybe a bad batch. There's usually some brand of ammo that your gun(s) don't like for what ever reason. All my 1911s hated the Remington UMC stuff for some reason. That was the only range ammo that gave me trouble. Seemed under powered and (if correct) likely kept the guns from properly cycling.

I've had the same issue with Rem UMC and 1911's.

ramairthree
11-13-15, 22:35
Used it for years in 9mm, 45, and 9x21

Still have about 500 rounds of 9x21 , probably 20 years old.

Have not bought any in about ten years.

A pallet of 9mm not stored well in Colombia was horrible about ten years ago. Saw squibs.