PDA

View Full Version : FN FNS-9: Check Yes or No?

ATTom
11-04-15, 16:36
Hi Guys,
I'm looking at an Fn Fns-9 and I can't seem to find a lot of good information.

All YouTube reviews (especially hickock45) seem excellent. The only real complaint seems to be its not a glock and there are not a million parts for it and the trigger is a bit heavy. Oh and mags are about double what glock mags are. Midwest guy supply seems to sell all of the trigger parts that could ever wear out.

I dry fired it in the gun and it seemed ok in the gun store.

To me it fixes most of my issues with the glock 17- mainly the hump and slick grip (I slide around even on a gen4).

Does anyone see a reason to not get one? This will be my CCW pistol as well as my home defense and tactical (for lack of a better word) pistol class weapon.

What says M4C?
thank you,
ATTom

ST911
11-04-15, 17:30
Hi Guys,
I'm looking at an Fn Fns-9 and I can't seem to find a lot of good information.

All YouTube reviews (especially hickock45) seem excellent. The only real complaint seems to be its not a glock and there are not a million parts for it and the trigger is a bit heavy. Oh and mags are about double what glock mags are. Midwest guy supply seems to sell all of the trigger parts that could ever wear out.

I dry fired it in the gun and it seemed ok in the gun store.

To me it fixes most of my issues with the glock 17- mainly the hump and slick grip (I slide around even on a gen4).

Does anyone see a reason to not get one? This will be my CCW pistol as well as my home defense and tactical (for lack of a better word) pistol class weapon.

What says M4C?
thank you,
ATTom

I had an FNS and FNX in 9mm for extended T&E. I like the FNS quite a bit more than I thought I would, and my sample was both accurate and reliable for all shooters. Those were samples of one each, but I would look at the FNS again if needing makes/models of service pistols other than current inventories.

mcnabb100
11-04-15, 17:39
I've also been looking into them. Some people said the back strap locking tab is a bit flimsy, and I think at least one said the back strap was a bit loose. I haven't gotten to handle one yet but I doubt it's much of a problem. Everything else seems pretty solid about them.

K1tt3n5
11-04-15, 17:46
Good guns, I prefer the vp9 though.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-04-15, 17:49
Excellent, zero-drama gun from an excellent, zero-drama manufacturer.

KalashniKEV
11-04-15, 18:07
I really like my FNS-9.

It does everything I want it to.

dwhitehorne
11-04-15, 18:22
I've owned the safety and non safety versions in 9mm and still have a 40. Tested them at work also so I have a few thousand rounds through every model. The FNS is very accurate for me. There is no aftermarket so buy one and shoot it since you can't change much. The grip is very sharp if you plan to carry IWB. Also the grip is the same lenght as the Glock 17 while the slide is the same lenght as the Glock 19. The trigger is fine but I wish it was lighter. The long slide and compacts have a better trigger than the fullsize. I really like the sight picture. Its a good gun especially for the le prices. I do prefer my VP9 though. David

anachronism
11-04-15, 18:57
I have an FNS9. I did a lot of research before buying, and you are completely correct, there is little information out there on them for some reason. My particular gun came with factory night sights, and three magazines. To my thinking, all it really needs now is more magazines. Holsters are readily available, even for left-handers. My trigger is a bit heavy, but showed noticeable improvement after the first 400 round range session. I believe it will smooth out to an acceptable level pretty quickly. The grip texture seems a bit rough at first, but I feel no discomfort at any point when handling, or shooting it. This is a very well proportioned pistol too. It's not too thick, and it's not too thin. As mentioned before, there is no drama to be found anywhere. It points very naturally for me, and accuracy is good so far, especially with the cheap ammo I'm breaking it in with (Geco). A friend of mine has handled it a bit an said it has all the advantages of a full-sized pistol, plus the balance and handling of a compact. He just ordered one for his wife, if that means anything. $44.00 list per magazine isn't all that horrible, and deals can be found. I remember when Beretta mags were that price, and HK mags are comparably priced. I compared the FNS to the SIG P320, and the HK VP9 before I plunked down my money. The FNS was the logical choice, for me anyway.

Helix12
11-04-15, 19:12
The FNS has only been out for about three years so there aren't a lot of after market parts for it. Do you need a lot of after market parts? I've owned and shot Glocks for two decades and the only after market parts I've ever bought are better sights since I don't like the factory sights and an Apex extractor kit to fix a serious brass to face problem with a Model 19.

Before I bought an FNS-9 about a year ago all my striker fired handguns had been Glocks. The reason I started looking at it is because a poster on a forum listed the things he didn't like about the Glock and would like to see changed. I agreed with everything he said. Another poster said if Glock made those changes it would become an FNS. Some time later I had a chance to handle a few FNS samples and finally bought one. Except for the longer grip than the one on my Model 19, I like every single feature of the FNS better than my Glocks:

1. Better grip angle
2. No hump on the rear of the grip
3. No 2x4 feel which is common to all Glocks
4. Superior sights
5. Better trigger than any Glock I have ever owned or shot. The triggers on mine, and the other two I have shot, are not heavy at all and definitely crisper than the Glock factory trigger.
6. Metal magazines instead of plastic

Glock is a fine gun. Now that I have owned and used the FNS, the Walther PPQ and the VP9, the three Glocks I currently have will definitely be the last I ever buy. Glocks, like vanilla ice cream, have been around for a long time and will continue to be. However, the last few years other manufacturers have provided some excellent handguns as competition.

Just my opinion. Good luck with your choice.

bear13
11-04-15, 19:37
I have run every kind of ammo through my Fns9. It has never had a bobble. Grip angle is really good. Gun was really accurate. But the trigger is too heavy and the grip is a little too fat. Bought Vp9 after and I prefer it. Trigger is a lot better and it is so much easier to pick up and get fast clean hits with it. But rumor is FNH is building a new Fns and it will also fit the FBI pistol protocol. I would buy one in a heart beat if they fix the few things I did not like. American made and Fn actually cares haha

plouffedaddy
11-05-15, 07:09
It's an excellent gun as is the FNS9-C. They're just under-rated because FN's marketing sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHKBPd-ssv4

KalashniKEV
11-05-15, 12:48
Do you need a lot of after market parts?

This.

Glocks need new sights immediately and a slightly longer mag release is preferred by most.

FNS needs nothing. Period.

It even has 3 mags in the box. Stuff it in the holster of your choice and go.

bear13
11-05-15, 15:04
This.

Glocks need new sights immediately and a slightly longer mag release is preferred by most.

FNS needs nothing. Period.

It even has 3 mags in the box. Stuff it in the holster of your choice and go.

Good point. I bought mine when it first came out so it was a pretty penny. The price point now a days is awesome. A lot of gun with night sights for the price you pay.

Auto-X Fil
11-05-15, 15:49
Darn good gun. I prefer the VP9 or PPQ, though for minor reasons (mostly trigger).

Hwikek
11-05-15, 19:01
Does the FNS 9 have that same issue with people accidentally hitting the slide release during firing? Every time I shoot a Sig I have that same problem, even trying to change my grip did not fix the issue so far but I also don't own any Sig pistols.

anachronism
11-05-15, 21:25
Does the FNS 9 have that same issue with people accidentally hitting the slide release during firing? Every time I shoot a Sig I have that same problem, even trying to change my grip did not fix the issue so far but I also don't own any Sig pistols.

I do not have this issue with mine. Has anybody mentioned the ambi controls yet? Mine has an ambi slide release, and ambi safties. All low profile to boot. I didn't realize that my FNS had an ambi safety until I got it home.

Fouled
11-05-15, 21:26
I have one. In order of my preference: VP9, PPQ, G19, FNS9, M&P. The trigger on my FNS9 is a bit spongy and the return seems sluggish.

Hwikek
11-06-15, 00:01
I do not have this issue with mine. Has anybody mentioned the ambi controls yet? Mine has an ambi slide release, and ambi safties. All low profile to boot. I didn't realize that my FNS had an ambi safety until I got it home.

Okay that's very encouraging.

I've been following this pistol since I first heard that Dave Spaulding was recommending them to people. When they first came onto the scene it was having issues where the gun would be dead if the trigger was pushed from behind until the slide was worked. Then this was apparently fixed not long after Dave put out a video showcasing it and feeling it wasn't a crucial issue as he'd never seen it happen in his career.

Then there were concerns about the polymer going soft like on the FNP and FNX. In addition people were also worried that the pistol would have a dead trigger if the ambient temperature was too high, since this had been noticed in the FNX though FNH fixed this at some point.

Afterwards there was news in a thread about the FNS pistols that the Baltimore County or City police were going to replace their Sigs with the FNS and a certain member "Turretgunner", now banned, lost his or her mind at the news. After a lot of drama it was stated that the handgun had gone through "extensive" testing, I don't remember the exact details but it was in excess of 10K rounds fired through more than one FNS which was after they had already been tested against some other competitors but the member didn't know all the testing details.

Now it seems that everyone: from low round count users, to YouTube reviewers, to forum members around the web like the pistol. This makes me want to get one of the duty sized guns to try out. Back when I handled one at a local sporting goods store I noted that the trigger wasn't excessively heavy, wasn't noticeably gritty, and had a similar length of pull to a Glock. I found the trigger to be above average for a pistol but not in PPQ territory so to speak. The gun had good sights that weren't too striking in the rear and fairly bold in the front. I didn't see any real reason to write it off but I also didn't have an extra $600 lying around. Fast forward to this June and I'm seeing this gun at Bi-Mart for $499.

I'm sorely tempted now to get one of these pistols with all of the positive feedback as of late and the fact that it's clear FNH is willing to do what it takes to get the system working right. What kind of accuracy are people getting out of them?

dwhitehorne
11-06-15, 15:19
I talked to the Baltimore range supervisor in detail about their testing. They pcked the FNS40 long slide with a Warren rear sight and are pleased with it. The biggest problem with the FNS is no one knows about it. David

Hwikek
11-06-15, 15:39
I talked to the Baltimore range supervisor in detail about their testing. They pcked the FNS40 long slide with a Warren rear sight and are pleased with it. The biggest problem with the FNS is no one knows about it. David

Did they have any more to say about what the testing consisted of and how the FNS-40 was selected?

dwhitehorne
11-06-15, 18:52
The Sergeant had lots to say but nothing I can discuss in detail. He was a great help to me when I was preparing for our evaluation process. All of our LE testing requires non disclosure agreements. That is why you don't get much first hand info in the forums. David

KalashniKEV
11-06-15, 21:52
I didn't see any real reason to write it off but I also didn't have an extra $600 lying around. Fast forward to this June and I'm seeing this gun at Bi-Mart for $499.

Was that with NS?

I paid $389 in July from Prepper Gun Shop for the 3-dot, no safety model.

I swapped it out with my safety model, but retained one mag from that box.

These guns are the absolute best value out there, IMO. Price-wise they're competing with like... Ruger SR-9s, S&W SD-9s, Canik TP-9s etc... and these are legit, duty ready pistols.

Hwikek
11-06-15, 22:10
Was that with NS?

I paid $389 in July from Prepper Gun Shop for the 3-dot, no safety model.

I swapped it out with my safety model, but retained one mag from that box.

These guns are the absolute best value out there, IMO. Price-wise they're competing with like... Ruger SR-9s, S&W SD-9s, Canik TP-9s etc... and these are legit, duty ready pistols.

No idea, I didn't realize that they came without them. It was right next to a P320 for the same price the Glocks were closer to $540 if memory serves. Assuming that FNH can make money on these guns at sub $400 retail without dropping quality this could be the death of the M&P unless S&W can truly bring the pistol up to speed.

KalashniKEV
11-06-15, 23:12
...this could be the death of the M&P unless S&W can truly bring the pistol up to speed.

M&P was a stillborn for anyone who could objectively evaluate the weapon.

I still think the only reason they sold any was because of the Magpul video.

Hwikek
11-06-15, 23:25
Oh geez, I'd sure hope it has a better future than that. At least for those who still use the platform.

alcante262
11-07-15, 00:40
I have had one since July ,put 500 rounds through it .not one hiccup.Accurate ,lightweight,ergonomically great with the different back straps.I have the one most like a 1911.I just love it.Daily CCW in a Bladetech holster.Great gun.

TaterTot
11-07-15, 01:04
Great gun. Price is reasonable and they need nothing other than a quality holster. I've been carrying and shooting one for 2 years with zero problems out of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

anachronism
11-07-15, 16:49
FWIW, mine was $499.00 with night sights. Pricing is all over the place, and it does pay to shop a bit.

bobbytucson
11-07-15, 20:58
you cant go wrong with the fns 9 , aslong as its a newer made one that has the trigger stuck rearward bug it had early on in its release. its a great shooting pistol. has great pointability