PDA

View Full Version : Input on a new 9mm

Hersh
08-03-08, 20:10
For several years most of my pistol shooting has been limited to the 1911 and now I'd like to add a 9mm to my collection. The gun will be used primarily for Steel Challenge and IDPA matches and I'm leaning towards a full-sized XD or M&P.

Several of my friends shoot XDs and they all speak highly of them but, based on what I've read, they're not popular on this forum. On the other hand, the M&P does seem to have a strong following here. One of the local ranges has rentals so I can try both and I'm also interested in hearing everyones's two cents.

Thanks

Alpha Sierra
08-03-08, 20:12
It's simple. For me the M&P points more naturally than any other semi automatic handgun I have ever tried including the M1911. The M&P's trigger reach is also perfect.

Robb Jensen
08-03-08, 20:22
It's simple. For me the M&P points more naturally than any other semi automatic handgun I have ever tried including the M1911. The M&P's trigger reach is also perfect.

To me my 5" (M&P9L) comes up during the draw just as naturally as my STI 2011 and my Springfield Armory 1911. Today I shot in Pistol Irons division at the S&W Steel Challenge at Fredericksburg VA and used my M&P9L against most others using 2011s and 1911s. I placed 67th overall out of 221 shooters and 17th of 74 shooters in Pistol Iron sights.........I thought I did pretty well since this is my 2nd match ever with this pistol. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/competition%20pics/robb-5.jpg

exitinyourhead
08-03-08, 20:44
also a 1911 junkie in the past, but more and more i reach for my m&p 9. I can shoot almost as well with it as I can my colt custom that i've been shooting for 16 years. I've only had the m&p's for a little under a year and keep getting better. I don't think you'd be dissapointed.

There are a lot of xd owners on here as well and i'm sure they will chime in. I've heard good things but not shot it at all.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-03-08, 21:55
Don't discount the Glock 17. No 9mm can match its competition track record (that I am aware of).

MikeCLeonard
08-03-08, 22:39
Might look into the Hk P30 L = Longslide P30.

I don't shoot competitively so I don't know how it would work out for that...but I just picked one up and its one of the nicest looking, and feeling pistols I have ever held.

maximus83
08-04-08, 01:14
To the o.p.: I own all three pistols you mention (1911, XD, and M&P), and shoot them all regularly. I like them all and have no plans to get rid of my XD, but the M&P has definitely become my favorite plastic pistol, for 4 reasons:

1. Accuracy. I can shoot just a bit better with it than the XD, though not as well as my custom SA 1911.

2. Ergonomics. The M&P feels so great and points so well, there's just nothing better in plastic pistol land.

3. Ambidextrous. I'm a lefty, and the M&P is one of the few fully ambi pistols out there.

4. Soft shooter. My M&P soaks up recoil better than any pistol I own, except possibly my full-size CZ 75's. It makes it really fun to shoot and easy to control. For comps, I would think this factor would be important.

citizensoldier16
08-04-08, 02:51
Hey guys, first post and I thought I'd start here.

As an avid IDPA shooter, I have always stood my my Glock 17. It's a classic design that has withstood probably more torture testing than any other 9mm pistol on the market. As stated above, it's track record is hard to disagree with.

I've shot IDPA for nearly 4 years now (SSP Expert) and, other than having probably 20k+ rounds through it, my G17 is bone stock.

One note on Glocks though: When it comes to comfort, I've found there's really no middle ground. They either fit your hand and point well, or not. Like I said, I've shot my G17 for 4 years in IDPA plus probably another 3 years before that. My muscle memory is such that when I draw, my hands and arms automatically point the pistol at whatever I'm looking at. On the flipside, if I draw a 1911, I'm pointed at the ground.

Choose a firearm that you like, that points well, and that fits your hand as far as grip width and trigger pull distance. Do some shopping and you won't be disappointed.

Note on the XD: I like this gun, but it's no Glock IMO. The grip angle is similar, but not identical. To me, the XD is a little top heavy compared to the Glock, so balance is a little off for me.

To each his own...

Hersh
08-04-08, 16:00
Choose a firearm that you like, that points well, and that fits your hand as far as grip width and trigger pull distance. Do some shopping and you won't be disappointed.

That pretty much sums it up. I need to get to the range, rent a couple of choices and see what "fits" me better. You comments on the Glock are well taken too. They've never felt right in my hand, but the people I know that love them wouldn't trade them for anything!

Thanks for everyone's input!

Alpha Sierra
08-04-08, 18:45
Choose a firearm that you like, that points well, and that fits your hand as far as grip width and trigger pull distance. Do some shopping and you won't be disappointed....

And then shoot the crapola out of it.

batgeek
08-04-08, 19:49
if you're a 1911 guy and looking for a 9mm pistol, you have got to aquire a BHP. :)

RogerinTPA
08-04-08, 21:36
M&P9 all the way. I own the M&P9C and 45. I've pretty much shelved my other toys. My next purchase will be the 9.

Magsz
08-04-08, 22:34
Definitely shoot the XD before you think about plunking down the money on one.

Depending on how your hands are configured and how you grip the gun you may find it uncomfortable to shoot.

The gun was biting into the webbing between my thumb and index finger of my right hand when i shot and honestly, it was very uncomfortable after only 20 or so rounds whereas with my M&P i can shoot the thing all day and walk away feeling great.

Looey
08-04-08, 22:45
MP9 all the way between the two that you have mentioned, i think that the XD recoils a lot more than the M&P, i am a Glock shooter but if Glock was not here i would be an M&P shooter.

ToddG
08-04-08, 23:21
I've just never warmed up to the XD. If the XDM comes out in 9mm, I might take a closer look but so far the XDs I've seen run hard in LE tests, etc., have not faired as well as most other major brands. Some people have XDs that seem to run forever, but I've met more people (and agencies) that had problems than those that didn't.

I'm certainly a big M&P fan, and can recommend the full size 9mm without hesitation if it shoots well for you. My second M&P9 will break the 30,000 round mark tomorrow.

My first M&P9 broke something, too ... its slide! There was a machining process that created too sharp an angle along the slide rail on the first slide or two that went through on a new cutter. The result was that after enough stress, the slide cracked. Mine kept firing and I didn't even know it was broken until I got home and field stripped it for cleaning. Smith experienced approximate a 1 in 10,000 breakage rate for this particular issue, but earlier in '08 they began using a bevel on the interior slide rail dimension to eliminate it altogether.

Iraq Ninja
08-05-08, 09:12
I only compete in the Meat Challenge, not the Steel Challenge and have always used a glock for the simple fact that I have confidence in it.

I find the XD interesting, but like citizensoldier16 said, it seems top heavy, or is that only because I am a glock shooter? How do you find the slide weight when transitioning between plates?

I really like the new HK 9mm.

On a side note, can the XD slide be fired when removed from the frame, like the glock can? It is one of those interesting, yet rarely useful tricks that I always thought only the Glock can do...

ToddG
08-05-08, 15:34
On a side note, can the XD slide be fired when removed from the frame, like the glock can? It is one of those interesting, yet rarely useful tricks that I always thought only the Glock can do...

The XD (and the M&P, and probably just about any other striker-fired gun) can do this. The spring tension that provides firing pin energy is housed in the slide unlike a hammer-fired gun.

RogerinTPA
08-05-08, 15:49

Why on earth would anyone want to realistically to do this? Any practical reason?

Deke
08-05-08, 22:53
While not a full size, I have been using the Glock 19 for the last 5-6 years for duty, CCW and competition and I like it. It's light weight, handles well enough and has a great track record.

The S&W M&P 9, in my limited experience, is also a fine choice. I like the way the M&P feels in the hand and how it handles.

If the S&W was around when I bought the Glock, it would not have been an easy decision. Good luck finding what works for you.

evilmonkey
08-05-08, 23:21
My choice is the glock 17! I have the XD and the M&p 9 and I have always stuck with the 17. The M&P (when you have a good trigger job) Is also a good choice but the stock trigger just throws me off. I shot a buddy of mine who had a M&P 9 with a trigger job and it was right up there with my Glock! The Glock to me is a simple, reliable, and even accurate right out of the box!!

Hersh
08-06-08, 15:26
My first M&P9 broke something, too ... its slide! There was a machining process that created too sharp an angle along the slide rail on the first slide or two that went through on a new cutter. .

Todd,

Was that on the gun that you were putting through the 50k round test?

ToddG
08-06-08, 22:49
Hersh -- No, it happened to my first M&P9. In fact, the broken slide is what got me a sit-down with some higher powers at Smith during SHOT. It was during that meeting that we worked out the 50k test. So it was the most fortuitous major component failure of my career. :cool:

Hersh
08-07-08, 16:42
Hersh -- No, it happened to my first M&P9. In fact, the broken slide is what got me a sit-down with some higher powers at Smith during SHOT. It was during that meeting that we worked out the 50k test. So it was the most fortuitous major component failure of my career. :cool:

Todd,

Yeah, you came out of that smellin' like a rose! I'm planning a trip to the range to check out a rental this weekend. Btw, is Smith still offering a model without the mag disconnect? The last time I checked their site there was a sku setup that way. There may be some valid reasons for them, but I'd prefer to not have one.

warpigM-4
08-07-08, 16:56
I had a glock 30 I carried for 5 years great weapon ,But.I ended up getting a XD-45 to me it fits better in my hand than the Glock.I only have a low round count right now on it, unlike my glock I shot all the time.But I have been real happy with my XD.I have No range time with a M&P so I can not say on that.But if you can shoot the XD and see if you are like the rest of us XD lovers. it just fits me.But any of the weapons you have listed would be a good choice.Good luck with the Hunt.But do shoot a XD you might get a warm fuzzy feeling like I did:p

ToddG
08-07-08, 23:38
Btw, is Smith still offering a model without the mag disconnect?

To the best of my knowledge, every model M&P is available without the mag disconnect.