PDA

View Full Version : LMT SOPMOD woth extra $$?

A_shizzle
08-03-08, 23:57
Im buyin another AR and have decided to go LMT. Ill be buying the upper and lower seperatly. The lower with standard collapsable stock cost 135 less than the one with the SOPMOD from GandR. Ive never had the opportunity to handle one before so i wanted to know if i should fork out the extra cash and get the SOPMOD or get the standard and spend the money on rails and other accesories..etc.. Thanks for any input.

SethB
08-04-08, 02:13
I still think VLTOR makes a better stock.

Failure2Stop
08-04-08, 03:33
You can easily sell a SOPMOD for $180, they list for $200.
If you haven't used one or formed an opinion yet I would say to go with it and if you don't like it, you can sell it and have $50 to apply to your next choice.

Army Chief
08-04-08, 03:56
I haven't retrofitted any SOPMODs on my personal kit (yet), but I have used them in military trim, and I was pretty impressed. There are a host of alternatives on the market right now, and many of them are truly excellent; that said, I think if/when I decide to go with a non-standard stock, it will likely be the LMT. It just feels "right," from the materials used and design concept down to the cheek weld and buttpad. The standard stock works just fine for me, but I do consider the SOPMOD to be an upgrade worthy of consideration.

Chief

98z28
08-04-08, 13:32
The LMT SOPMOD has a cheeckweld that has to be felt to be appreciated. I would gladly pay $135 for the upgrade over a standard stock. That said, I think the VLTOR EMOD is an even better choice. For me, the cheekweld feels even better, the battery storage is more convientient, and the buttstock has a better feel (and a strike plate). I have not used any Magpul stocks, which everyone seems to love. The CBR and UBR look great depending no the aplication, but I have yet to even see either one in person, yet alone use them.

Have you seen this?

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5

Here is a quote from a fellow member USMC03 that seems to reflect what I read on M4C (my own experience is limited a standard stock, SOPMOD, and EMOD on 16" guns):

"As a general rule *I* [USMC03] run:

-Magpul CTR's on SBR's (short barreled rifle) and some 14.5" M4's (with carbine length (7.0) rail system or standard carbine handguards)

-LMT SOPMOD stocks on 14.5" M4's and SBR's with long rail systems

-EMods and Magpul UBR's on 16" mid-lengths

-Magpul UBR's on 14.5" - 16" barrels with longer rail systems (10.0 - 13.2) (example show above of a UBR on a Noveske with a 14.5" barrel and a 10.0 rail system)

I also recently had the chance to try a Magpul UBR on a 20" rifle and the UBR balanced out the rifle extreemly well." - from: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15946

markm
08-04-08, 14:01
I'd really like to try a SOPMOD, but I can't get myself to pay the price.

theJanitor
08-04-08, 14:06
i really like my SOPMODs, but i recently pulled one off and am trying to use a CTR. It seems to be working well on a fairly lightweight gun (LMT lower, VLTOR upper, DD Omega rail, Colt M4 barrel, surefire x300, aimpoint/larue ML3)

The sopmod seems to balance out a front heavy gun a bit better though, and i cannot find a more comfortable stock than the SOPMOD.

Iraqgunz
08-04-08, 16:25
Demi,

I hear ya! As a matter of fact (not to hijack) I am looking at buttstock for my Troy MCS build. Anyone care to chime in? I am thinking of the UBR or the Vltor EMOD.

AllAmerican
08-04-08, 16:31
i really like my SOPMODs, but i recently pulled one off and am trying to use a CTR. It seems to be working well on a fairly lightweight gun (LMT lower, VLTOR upper, DD Omega rail, Colt M4 barrel, surefire x300, aimpoint/larue ML3)

The sopmod seems to balance out a front heavy gun a bit better though, and i cannot find a more comfortable stock than the SOPMOD.

+1 I only had experince with standard mil. stocks, ordered the LMT with the SOPMOD and it has a lot better cheek weld to me. Seems I get a better sight picture through my Aimpoint M3 to......
just my .02

C-Fish
08-04-08, 18:59

I'll meet you out at Rio Salado this weekend if you want...

Mark

BillC
08-04-08, 20:42
I've only shouldered an LMT which had the sopmod, and it felt incredible compared to the standard M4 stock, I say go for it.

A_shizzle
08-04-08, 21:48
Awesome. I think im ganna go ahead and get the SOPMOD. Thanks for the input everybody.

RogerinTPA
08-04-08, 21:50
I like mine. It is a bit over priced but....it is pretty ergonomic as others have said and it is the best stock I've tried so far. I will be trying the Emod stock in the near future for my other AR.

5POINT56
08-05-08, 14:08
IMO, the LMT SOPMOD is still be best stock available.

I love my CTR's and the garden vsariety 6-position designs get it done nicely too. The UBR is cool, but rather specific. If I could use only one stock, on any AR rifle, for the rest of my life with all current choices being considered, the LMT SOPMOD would be that stock.

newguru
08-05-08, 15:10
Why, in your opinion of course, is the SOPMOD a better stock than the Vltor EMOD?

I have 2 EMOD's and really like them. Just curious why you think the SOPMOD is the end all be all.

Have you use an EMOD?

austinN4
08-05-08, 15:15
I looked hard at a SOPMOD stock but in the end went with a CTR as I like it better.

Magsz
08-05-08, 15:31
Why, in your opinion of course, is the SOPMOD a better stock than the Vltor EMOD?

I have 2 EMOD's and really like them. Just curious why you think the SOPMOD is the end all be all.

Have you use an EMOD?

I believe the emod is roughly one inch longer than the sopmod but i may be wrong on that.

Some shooters may not like the added length.

newguru
08-05-08, 15:47
I believe the emod is roughly one inch longer than the sopmod but i may be wrong on that.

Some shooters may not like the added length.

These are both collapsible stocks so what am I missing? Length there (on both stocks) can be adjusted.

EMOD won't collapse as far as they want?

RogerinTPA
08-05-08, 15:54

Have you use an EMOD?

You wouldn't go wrong with with either stock. The edge going to the Emod, slightly cheaper...

newguru
08-05-08, 16:13
You wouldn't go wrong with with either stock. The edge going to the Emod, slightly cheaper...

More than slightly:

EMOD is usually around $119.00
SOPMOD is around $199.00

This is for the stock only on both models. That is around 40% less expensive for the EMOD.

IMO:

EMOD wins in storage access, less expensive, built in swivel (this may be included on brand new SOPMODS now but wasn't in the past) and better buttpad (IMO).

Really the only thing I like better on the SOPMOD is the baby smooth cheek weld. This could be a game breaker to some but you give up the smooth cheek weld for the ease of access to the storage slots.

panzerr
08-05-08, 20:03
The LMT SOPMOD has a cheeckweld that has to be felt to be appreciated. I would gladly pay $135 for the upgrade over a standard stock.

ditto that

VLTOR makes a nice stock too, but I prefer the SOPMOD.

GLOCKADOODADOO
08-06-08, 13:52
Should have made this into a poll. And my vote is for the sopmod. I have them on mine. :D

newguru
08-06-08, 13:56
Should have made this into a poll. And my vote is for the sopmod. I have them on mine. :D

Again, why would that be the case? If you are going to recommend something, give an explanation.

Some of these posts it feels like people are saying, "buy this or that...this is what I have" and not saying why its better than the other stuff that is out there.

There must be some reason(s) why you think this is superior to other stocks. I'm hoping you can explain why you think so. Elaborate.

C-Fish
08-06-08, 14:27
Here is my take having the following stocks at my disposal.

LMT SOPMOD: Cheekweld is very good (probably the best).
VLTOR EMOD: Cheekweld is very good (second to SOPMOD).

My only beef with the SOPMOD is the butt plate. Look at the photos and you'll see that the SOPMOD is straight whereas the EMOD has a curve to it.
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Projects/Carbine%20Stocks/IMG_2180%20Stick.jpg
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Daniel%20Defense%2C%20Inc./IMG_4056%20Stick.jpg
(Thanks Stickman for the photos).

The EMOD seeks to "shoulder" better for me, although I still like the SOPMOD overall.

I have the SOPMOD on my M4gery, the EMOD resides on my RECCE (Stag lefty).

This seems to be the best for me...

***Disclaimer, I'm not an expert, YMMV, I also own a CTR, CAA and M4 stock that have been tested on the above mentioned rifles***

newguru
08-06-08, 15:10
Great post mseiferth! Exactly what I was looking for in a response.

spamsammich
08-06-08, 15:32
My vote is no on being worth the extra money with the EMOD or modstock available. Having purchased an EMOD well before I ever laid hands on a SOPMOD, I may be a little biased. Having said that, there was NOTHING about the SOPMOD that caused me to think, "I should sell my EMODs and get this".

Perhaps I wasn't sensitive enough to feel the difference between the two when I handled the SOPMOD in a local shop. Cheek weld felt the same to me so I could not justify the extra cost. I could see the extra length of the EMOD being a real plus for a taller guy.

I got screaming deal a brand new mil spec CTR for my shorter, lightweight rifle and keep the EMODs on the 16" guns. I really like the way it balances out my mid-length upper.

Magsz
08-06-08, 17:45
These are both collapsible stocks so what am I missing? Length there (on both stocks) can be adjusted.

EMOD won't collapse as far as they want?

Yep, they're both collapsible but for people that run NTCH the e-mod may feel slightly too long for them depending upon their build.

Like i said, it appears as though its only an inch of difference in length. Ive never compared the two side by side.

marylandsniper
08-31-08, 12:28
I put off buying an LMT SOPMOD stock for many years and now that I have it, I can see the difference. This stock has the best ergonomics I has used to date. :D

Broadway
08-31-08, 13:42
The SOPMOD is a great stock that provides a good check weld when shouldering the rifle. That being said, so does the EMOD. There are some definite quality choices out there to include the Magpul offerings. The real difference other then in a personal preference is in the price point.

I use a Magpul CTR on my duty rifle simply because it works and because of the minimal weight savings. If you have to carry a rifle for several hours searching, ounces start to add up. It takes real world abuse (not normal range use) and the company's CS is top notch. It does not have spare battery capacity so that has to be kept elsewhere. I would not hesitate to field any of the three mentioned.

Iraqgunz
08-31-08, 14:38
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Tactical Duostock? I knew a couple of guys who liked them and ssaid that they were awesome.

sdacbob
08-31-08, 15:09
I installed a SOPMOD on my LMT just yesterday, much better than the stock M4 piece.

daddysnapmuffins
08-31-08, 22:06
If the extra money isn't a major issue definitly get it or try it out and see how you like it. I have a SOPMOD on my LMT 16" M4 and absolutely love it. I can't say it is the best because I haven't tried every single one out there but I can say without hesitation that it is one of the best.

Failure2Stop
08-31-08, 22:25
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Tactical Duostock? I knew a couple of guys who liked them and ssaid that they were awesome.

I tried it out some time ago, wasn't for me. It's good for people that want to shoot without learning stance. Not good for F/A.
I consider it to be a crutch- good for walking if you can't walk without one, but you ain't gonna be a sprinter with one.

But then again, I'm kinda grumpy.

jhs1969
08-31-08, 23:39
For years I never thought I would need any other stock than the standard M4 stock. I got a chance to use a buddy's VLTOR stock and was amazed how much better the cheek weld felt. I ordered a LMT sometime latter with the SOPMOD and loved it even more than the VLTOR from ealier. The biggest advantage for me on the SOPMOD is not necessarily the cheek weld, but the rubber butt plate. It locks it's self into my shoulder with not slippage at all, especially with my Eagle vest and it's rubber (for lack terminology) shoulder panel. I understand the EMOD has a rubber butt plate but have never used it. Try all you can then choose what you like the best, this is probably the best way to make most decisions. Good luck.