PDA

View Full Version : Magnified optics w/ fixed FSB??

beau1911
08-04-08, 00:49
Im going to be running a Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25X-4X with LaRue SPR-M4 mount
on my latest LMT build. I was planning on 14.5 barrel, 7' Larue rail with the standard FSB. But ive heard the fixed FSB is annoying at low mag. settings so im thinking about a maybe 10' rail and flip up front sight.

Is anyone else using a similar setup? Opinions? Options?

Any input is appreciated!

Lynn Freshly
08-04-08, 01:20
There is a slight blur at low magnification with a standard front sight. Just look past it a focus on your target/threat. After doing this for a while, you won't even notice the blur anymore. Just drive on.

Lynn

Daveo
08-04-08, 06:39
I'm going to agree 100% with Lynn...there will be a slight blur but you won't even notice it after a little bit of use.

My experience came with a 4X ACOG.

LOKNLOD
08-04-08, 08:21
If you haven't done the build yet, this would be my recommendation -- get the basic upper, and optic, and shoot it that way to see how you feel about the FSB visibility. If all's well, get your rail and keep the standard FSB. If it drives you nuts, then you can go with a shaved block/longer rail/flipup setup. Either way you'll only have to buy stuff once and not lose a bunch of money swapping stuff around.

I say this because I thought running the Accupoint with a fixed front sight would be no biggie. And it doesn't bother me at 4x, but at 1.25x it drives me nuts. I prefer the fixed FSB with an Aimpoint, so I didn't think it'd bother me with the Accupoint, but I found it distracting. On my midlength I can see the outline of the front sight pretty clearly at low mag (it is a blur at the higher mag and not a problem there). This is completely a subjective personal thing but it's worth investigating before spending the dough. Just my personal experience.

MassMark
08-04-08, 08:51
This is interesting. I used to run a Swift 6-18x44 on my Colt National Match. I was convinced the dealer was BS-ing me when he said the front sight would be no issue - until I looked down the scope. Even at the lower magnification I never even noticed it. It used to be a head-scratcher: "how could this be - how could this hunk of metal in front of this hunk of glass not affect it?" I theorized that it was because of magnification and objective width - was I half right? As I approach my final build date, I was contemplating a Millet DMS on my build, but reading this, I'm beginning to wonder if I should stick to my original plan and put the Millet on the SOCOM and keep the Tripower for the M4...