PDA

View Full Version : Got Shrooms? (Study)

WillBrink
11-08-15, 07:58
An interesting study that could lead to the development of compounds of great utility:

Psychedelic Mushroom Compound Found to Grow and Repair Brain Cells

According to research from the University of South Florida, psilocybin, the active component within psychedelic mushrooms, is able to grow new brain cells—potentially offering treatment for mental illness and improving cognition.

The study, published in Experimental Brain Research, says psilocybin is able to bind to special receptors in the brain that stimulate healing and growth. In the case of these mushrooms, brain cell growth occurs. In mice, the researchers found psilocybin to actually help repair damaged brain cells and cure or relieve PTSD and depression.

Lead researcher, Dr. Juan R. Sanchez-Ramos, tested the effects of psilocybin by training mice to fear an electric shock when they heard a noise associated with the shock. Then, by giving them psilocybin, the mice were able to stop reacting to the noise-trigger much faster than those mice not treated with the mushroom compound.

“The proposition that psilocybin impacts cognition and stimulates hippocampal neurogenesis is based on extensive evidence that serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) acting on specific 5-HT receptor sub-types (most likely the 5-HT2A receptor) is involved in the regulation of neurogenesis in hippocampus,” says Dr. Sanchez-Ramos according to NaturalNews. “The in vitro and in vivo animal data is compelling enough to explore whether psilocybin will enhance neurogenesis and result in measurable improvements in learning.”

Other research also shows that this same compound could greatly help with depression, helping the majority of participants in one study achieve great well-being.

Psilocybin is referred to as a “nootropic” agent, or one that has numerous functions in the brain that can improve hippocampus health. The hippocampus is part of the brain responsible for learning as well as converting short-term memory to long-term memory. New brain cells in the hippocampus from the psilocybin translates into a healthier and sharper brain overall.

The research on psychedelic mushrooms is limited—far more limited than the research on marijuana. Because these mushrooms are known for causing hallucinations, unguarded self-treatment isn’t recommended. However, this plant, like marijuana, does not deserve a place in the Schedule I classification of illegal substances. Like marijuana, the U.S. government has determined ‘shrooms as having no medicinal value’—an obviously-flawed determination.

Source:

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/295083011345485824/psychedelic-mushroom-compound-found-to-grow-and-repair-brain-cells

11-08-15, 10:06
Psychedelic mushrooms. I may or may not have followed the Dead on breaks during college. May or may not have found myself in cow pastures across the country. All I'll say is it would not surprise me, at all, to find out there are benefits to be gained from looking into this further. One of those things where if you haven't been there, then you simply can't grasp it. I'll also say it SURE AS PHUCK is not for everyone b/c everyone can't handle the trip. No one should ever, ever, ever; without anyone experienced around, try to self-medicate. If you are stupid enough to do this, then keep the Nyquil nearby.

Campbell
11-08-15, 17:24
This^^^^^^

Interesting stuff for sure with these new applications...

Inkslinger
11-08-15, 17:45
My old man has been studying the effects of psilocybin since before I was born. When he comes out of his sweat lodge I tell him he might be on to something.[emoji265]

11-08-15, 18:19
My old man has been studying the effects of psilocybin since before I was born. When he comes out of his sweat lodge I tell him he might be on to something.[emoji265]

If that's true(as in you aren't f'ing with us), then, way cool!

Inkslinger
11-08-15, 18:40
If that's true(as in you aren't f'ing with us), then, way cool!

Completely true. Just no real science on his part. He may be able to elucidate about alternate dimensions, but he'll need DMT for that. Either way it's entertaining, for him, and anyone else around him.

ScottsBad
11-08-15, 18:48
Good for your brain and fun too. Wow.

scooter22
11-08-15, 18:50
The Psilocybe genus is truly amazing. Naturally occurring serotonin analogues are capable of great things.

I highly recommend checking out the Harvard and Johns Hopkins studies on the positive effects of psilocybin.

If you're interested in mushrooms in any capacity, I suggest you check out Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World by Paul Stamets.

11-08-15, 20:32
I once watched one of my friends, who was tripping, be able to tell us how long a song had been playing down to the second; for about 25X one night. Wouldn't matter if he was listening actively, in the background, talking with people, being silent, whatever. No matter what, he was able to do it.

I have encountered some VERY, VERY wild stuff around shrooms. I think much of these things will be explained in the future as science reveals more to us. No hocus pocus BS, but learning to decipher what is going on in the brain and learning that we are capable of so much more.

I watched two friends stare at a poster, one looked at the other and said, "Did you see" interrupted by other friend saying, "Her pull her bra strap down?" These types of things will be explained in the future(maybe 100yrs., who knows) through a better understanding of brain chemistry. Maybe our brains can pick up the electrical impulses in the brain of others and "share the current" so to speak. Hell, just read up on electrical detection in the animal kingdom. Not some carnival gimmick, the $h-t is real.

Scooter- Glad you mentioned the studies. Trying to illustrate there is a whole other side to shrooms beyond the anecdotal BS spewed by free love, stinky hippy types; they are the Fudds in this area and have hurt and crippled research on the topic due to their depictions of use.

scooter22
11-08-15, 21:17
I once watched one of my friends, who was tripping, be able to tell us how long a song had been playing down to the second; for about 25X one night. Wouldn't matter if he was listening actively, in the background, talking with people, being silent, whatever. No matter what, he was able to do it.

I have encountered some VERY, VERY wild stuff around shrooms. I think much of these things will be explained in the future as science reveals more to us. No hocus pocus BS, but learning to decipher what is going on in the brain and learning that we are capable of so much more.

I watched two friends stare at a poster, one looked at the other and said, "Did you see" interrupted by other friend saying, "Her pull her bra strap down?" These types of things will be explained in the future(maybe 100yrs., who knows) through a better understanding of brain chemistry. Maybe our brains can pick up the electrical impulses in the brain of others and "share the current" so to speak. Hell, just read up on electrical detection in the animal kingdom. Not some carnival gimmick, the $h-t is real.

Scooter- Glad you mentioned the studies. Trying to illustrate there is a whole other side to shrooms beyond the anecdotal BS spewed by free love, stinky hippy types; they are the Fudds in this area and have hurt and crippled research on the topic due to their depictions of use.

I completely agree. Drug prohibition has really stifled the advancement of the species in many ways. We're just beginning to scratch the surface of these amazing compounds' capabilities.

This is a good place to start if you're interested in psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy, drug addiction therapy, etc.

http://www.maps.org/research/other-research