PDA

View Full Version : So what is your take onthe "Spectre" 80% Polymer Pistol Frame?

AnthonyCumia
11-08-15, 14:35
Anyone here have one/seem them in the wild?

How is Glock not suing them?

Bret
11-08-15, 16:42
Glock can only prevail in court if they infringe upon a patent or copyright.

AnthonyCumia
11-08-15, 18:32
Glock can only prevail in court if they infringe upon a patent or copyright.

Do they not own or have a patent/copyright on the designs of their pistol receiver/frame?

BlahBlah
11-08-15, 18:51
An 80% frame isn't a pistol. It's a block of polymer shaped like a pistol.

Bret
11-08-15, 19:04
Do they not own or have a patent/copyright on the designs of their pistol receiver/frame?
They certainly have patents on certain design elements to the pistol and frame, but if this 80% frame does not use any of them then there's no problem. You can't patent an overall look. The fact that the 80% frame takes a Glock slide isn't an issue either. Note that it matters not whether it's an 80% frame or 100% frame. A patent violation would be a patent violation.

AnthonyCumia
11-08-15, 21:47
They certainly have patents on certain design elements to the pistol and frame, but if this 80% frame does not use any of them then there's no problem. You can't patent an overall look. The fact that the 80% frame takes a Glock slide isn't an issue either. Note that it matters not whether it's an 80% frame or 100% frame. A patent violation would be a patent violation.

Cool, thanks for the info.

So any word of a jig for it? Would you buy one?

Renegade
11-08-15, 23:03
Anyone here have one/seem them in the wild?

JAN/2016 RELEASE DATE.

How is Glock not suing them?

Lone Wolf makes complete guns, they do not get sued.

Texaspoff
11-09-15, 06:08
Looks like a Lone Wolf frame to me. Everyone want to stick with the general Glock design. When someone designs a frame that would truly have some benefits to the factory Glock frame, then they will have something.

TXPO

mig1nc
11-09-15, 06:48
Maybe that's why the website only says Glock 17? The Glock 17 came out in 1979, so their international patent protection should have expired by now.

Maybe others, I don't know.

Bret
11-09-15, 08:34
Again, they can't patent the entire pistol, only design elements. I'm trying to imagine what patentable design elements would be different between the Glock 17 and Glock 19. Length of barrel, frame and grip generally wouldn't be. They can renew patents on design elements if they make significant changes.

KalashniKEV
11-09-15, 10:45
They certainly have patents on certain design elements to the pistol and frame, but if this 80% frame does not use any of them then there's no problem. You can't patent an overall look.

Exactly.

It is possible to go after an imitator using trademark though, like the pink color of Owens-Corning fiberglass insulation.

HK did to GSG, since they consider the lines and shape of the MP5 to be their trademark

A quick google image search makes me think that this would not be applicable here though.

AnthonyCumia
11-09-15, 15:10
Exactly.

It is possible to go after an imitator using trademark though, like the pink color of Owens-Corning fiberglass insulation.

HK did to GSG, since they consider the lines and shape of the MP5 to be their trademark

A quick google image search makes me think that this would not be applicable here though.

I know Glock went after S&W for their pistols a while back.

KalashniKEV
11-09-15, 16:18
I know Glock went after S&W for their pistols a while back.

That was not a trademark case, that was a patent infringement case.

S&W cloned the Glock internals and the judge agreed. A settlement was reached in which S&W would "remove the surface located below the sear in the Sigma Series Pistols, which Glock contends is a positive guide means, and Glock has agreed that such a modification would resolve the patent infringement claim."

They also paid Glock somewhere between $5M and $8M.