PDA

View Full Version : Handmade holster for my 19

vpetrell
11-09-15, 10:11
Hope it's not in the wrong spot. Delete or move if needed.

Made my first holster for my 19 over the weekend. Turned out pretty well. This one is going to be for the range and not concealment. I learned a lot about placement on the body and comfort after this one.

Let me know what you think

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/6fc4889bccd470d32ddb2f16ad57383c.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/80237ee3f36b57ef386797a637af7efb.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/2d211a05d41febc6a17e9d2fcdde721a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 Inf
11-09-15, 12:32
If that is your first rodeo at leather craft - good job, even if it is not, good job. I like it. I generally wore my belt on the outside of pancake style holster - I always felt it held the weapon in closer to the body.

vpetrell
11-09-15, 12:36
If that is your first rodeo at leather craft - good job, even if it is not, good job. I like it. I generally wore my belt on the outside of pancake style holster - I always felt it held the weapon in closer to the body.

Thanks for the kind words. It's my first holster, but not first time with leather. I tried the belt over the holster and it was to tight. When it loosens a bit with use I may switch to that methoJust picked up the hobby a few months ago for knife sheaths. So I think I found a new way to spend my time and money

K1tt3n5
11-09-15, 14:35
I feel like the trigger guard should be covered just a touch more. The holster and your work look solid, far better than I could do and more than good enough for me to use. Good job man.

vpetrell
11-09-15, 14:39
I feel like the trigger guard should be covered just a touch more. The holster and your work look solid, far better than I could do and more than good enough for me to use. Good job man.

That's what a few others have mentioned. I think I will fix tonight just in case. Can't be to safe. It was more exposed before I took the pics with the stain on them. For my next one I make it will be fully covered off the bat.

Thanks for the words. Wasn't as hard as you would think

VP

MStarmer
11-09-15, 19:14
Spend some time on Leatherworker.net if you aren't already. They can really help get your process down, there's lots of ways to do them. Not bad for a first attempt, I won't even post a pic of mine. Mine don't turn out too bad now, here's a LH one I made for my G27.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg68/mstarmer/20131130-DSC_1869-2.jpg (http://s245.photobucket.com/user/mstarmer/media/20131130-DSC_1869-2.jpg.html)

K1tt3n5
11-09-15, 22:04
What are you all using to sew the leather together? I can't imagine that being very easy.

26 Inf
11-09-15, 23:32
Spend some time on Leatherworker.net if you aren't already. They can really help get your process down, there's lots of ways to do them. Not bad for a first attempt, I won't even post a pic of mine. Mine don't turn out too bad now, here's a LH one I made for my G27.

That is pretty nice forming and stitching. Like the color.

Straight Shooter
11-10-15, 00:07

This is why Id never use leather on a Glock pistol. Also, and this is just personal opinion...a Glock in leather just don't look ...right.
Leather for 1911's- Kydex for Glock.
Story on the pics is guy got in his SUV with wife on the other side and gun fired into leg/seat/floorboard in store parking lot. GALCO Holster.
But, it IS a good job on a first time holster, btw!

EDIT: DAMN-after all these years FINALLY figured out how to add pics! Its on now!! :D

K1tt3n5
11-10-15, 00:14
Fully covering the trigger guard would help with that right?

Straight Shooter
11-10-15, 01:08
Fully covering the trigger guard would help with that right?

No idea. Seems to me leather being pliable, it could still be made to cave/bend under the weight of a large person under some circumstances.
And, again..not bashing leather, nor the op's first time work, or anything like that. Im specifically talking about leather for a Glock or Glock style pistol. Were I personally to buy one, it would HAVE to be lined or its a no go for me.
The Galco holsters are top of the line, so if that one could develop a crease or bend over time, any of them could. No worries for me with Kydex, and again, a glock in leather just aint right.

MStarmer
11-10-15, 08:51
With the right process leather can be almost as stiff as kydex. As far as stitching goes I do all mine by hand, I use an awl in my drill press (not on) just to press the holes and then come back and saddle stitch them.

To anyone who thinks that custom high end leather holsters (I'm not talking about Galco here) are too much then you need to try and make one yourself. My hats to these guys doing it for a living, it's a lot of work and they don't make near enough.

vpetrell
11-10-15, 08:59
I do all my stitching by hand as well. I use different tools for different projects. For my holsters I use a bladed leather fork I think it's called. Also use a drill press with an awl in it, and for sewing, I use synthetic sinew(personal preference) but any tough material can be used.

Just take your time and be meticulous about your process. I learned a lot on my first to improve on my next ones I make.

556BlackRifle
11-10-15, 09:41
OP, Nice first holster (I'm sure it's better than I can do) but I agree with the others about the trigger guard. I carry a Glock most of the time and it always makes me nervous reholstering in leather. The only leather holsters I really trust are my Milt Sparks 55 BN and VM II. The pics that Straight Shooter posted are exactly why I'm also a fan of Kydex and hybrid holsters.