PDA

View Full Version : Don't carry replica guns in Boston!

WillBrink
11-09-15, 10:15
Why anyone would carry a replica in public I don't know, but they do on occasion it appears. It's a great way to get shot. I have conflicting feelings over this. Will it actually lower crime? No. Might it prevent someone too stupid to realize walking around with a replica gun is an excellent way to get shot? Maybe. It's not, as far as I can tell, an infringement on 2A Rights, but the fact is, given the chance, Boston would be another NYC and NJ.

Mayor Walsh to sign ordinance banning replica hand guns

BOSTON (AP) -

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh is planning to sign an ordinance banning replica handguns in public spaces throughout the city.

Walsh says the ordinance is aimed at increasing public safety by allowing police to confiscate replica firearms and requiring the owner to retrieve them at local police stations.

The goal is to make residents, particularly young people, aware of the dangers of replica handguns -- which can be mistaken for real guns.

Walsh will be joined at the Monday signing ceremony at the Twelfth Baptist Church in the city's Roxbury neighborhood by Boston Police Commissioner William Evans and members of the local clergy.

A 12-year-old boy was fatally shot by police in Cleveland last year after brandishing what turned out to be a replica gun.

The regulations will take effect immediately after the signing.

Source The Associated Press.

SteyrAUG
11-09-15, 14:40
I think this is more of a "kids issue."

When I was 12 I ran around with a 1:1 scale 1911 .45 auto from Replica Models (later Collectors Armory). It was nearly indistinguishable from the real thing, could chamber dummy (solid brass) rounds and be field stripped.

Usually wore it in a WWII flap holster on a WWII web belt. Got it mainly for playing army but my friends and I would sometimes still have them on us if we went to the mall.

I think the major difference is back then 12 year olds weren't shooting at people with real guns and even though I knew it wasn't real, I'd never think to scare somebody by pointing it at them or worse pointing it at a cop.

Had a single instance in 1979 at the Broward Mall when two of my friends and I were running around the designated play area (which was made to look like a fort) and I had my 1911 and they had a Luger and another 1911. A security guard called us aside and asked us what we had. I unholstered mine and handed it to him explaining what it was.

He said something along the lines of "that's neat" and asked us not to point them at other people and we told him we wouldn't and we resumed "our" war game.

It's a shame it still isn't like that. But we tolerate dangerously violent and mentally unstable children in public and in schools and they will get ahold of real guns, point them at people and cops and in fact shoot people. Really wish we could just ban dangerously violent and mentally unstable people, especially kids.

ETA: Here is what we had.

http://www.collectorsarmoury.com/Replica-M1911-45-Caliber-Government-Automatic-Non-Firing-Replica/productinfo/22-1227/

Firefly
11-09-15, 15:12
You must've had rich parents that loved you, Steyr.

We actually brought toy guns to school.

I brought my Rambo UZI and took the stickers off and my toy 1911 ( I didn't know what a 1911 was and was always told it was a .45) to school with other guys and we had many a playground firefight.

That UZI was my favorite toy gun. Nobody thought anything of it.

Now you'll get MP5'd or M4'd. Progress.

WillBrink
11-09-15, 15:16
I think this is more of a "kids issue."

When I was 12 I ran around with a 1:1 scale 1911 .45 auto from Replica Models (later Collectors Armory). It was nearly indistinguishable from the real thing, could chamber dummy (solid brass) rounds and be field stripped.

Usually wore it in a WWII flap holster on a WWII web belt. Got it mainly for playing army but my friends and I would sometimes still have them on us if we went to the mall.

I think the major difference is back then 12 year olds weren't shooting at people with real guns and even though I knew it wasn't real, I'd never think to scare somebody by pointing it at them or worse pointing it at a cop.

Had a single instance in 1979 at the Broward Mall when two of my friends and I were running around the designated play area (which was made to look like a fort) and I had my 1911 and they had a Luger and another 1911. A security guard called us aside and asked us what we had. I unholstered mine and handed it to him explaining what it was.

He said something along the lines of "that's neat" and asked us not to point them at other people and we told him we wouldn't and we resumed "our" war game.

It's a shame it still isn't like that. But we tolerate dangerously violent and mentally unstable children in public and in schools and they will get ahold of real guns, point them at people and cops and in fact shoot people. Really wish we could just ban dangerously violent and mentally unstable people, especially kids.

ETA: Here is what we had.

http://www.collectorsarmoury.com/Replica-M1911-45-Caliber-Government-Automatic-Non-Firing-Replica/productinfo/22-1227/

I may have had the exact same thing at the same age. LOL.

Moose-Knuckle
11-09-15, 15:26
Outlawing toy firearms, Burgermeister Meisterburger would be proud!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX87QQLVD5k

OH58D
11-09-15, 15:44
Gee....back in the 1960s I used to play Cowboys and Indians and we used cast metal Colt Single Action looking cap guns. Now they would take them away from me, give me a fine and I'd probably be branded a racist for engaging in ethnic stereotyping. Indian Lives Matter.

TAZ
11-09-15, 15:55
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I used to go round my neighborhood playing cowboys and indians, cops and robbers with toy guns all the time. Heck, sometimes we have pellet guns. Thankfully nobody got hurt or lost an eye. So I am all for letting kids play as much as they want. On the other hand I an see how cops would be at a disadvantage when dealing with folks pointing things at them and then getting put even further behind the curve by now needing to tell the difference between replica or real. Maybe if folks displayed some common sense and respect politicians wouldn't need to even think about laws like this.

Moose-Knuckle
11-09-15, 16:14
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I used to go round my neighborhood playing cowboys and indians, cops and robbers with toy guns all the time. Heck, sometimes we have pellet guns. Thankfully nobody got hurt or lost an eye. So I am all for letting kids play as much as they want. On the other hand I an see how cops would be at a disadvantage when dealing with folks pointing things at them and then getting put even further behind the curve by now needing to tell the difference between replica or real. Maybe if folks displayed some common sense and respect politicians wouldn't need to even think about laws like this.

My mother went to high school with a guy who back in the 70's while patrolling as a deputy Sheriff shot and killed a kid who pointed a toy gun at him on a traffic stop. It devastated him. Sadly this is nothing new but the case in Cleveland that was cited in the OP was sensationalized due to the kid's race.

In this day in age I won't let my son play with toy guns in public then again he's not in public without me so, it's a different world now. Hell a kid can't even chew a Pop-Tart in the shape of a gun without being kicked out of school.

Kain
11-09-15, 17:53
First thing that I thought of when I read the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1crhwQPKr7w

That said, or viewed, however you like. I understand the thought process here, it looks like a gun and can get people dead. I mean, I have had more than a few good friends and gun guys mistake airsoft guns, pellet pistols that had a pass resemblance to other guns, and more for the real thing. I mean guys who handle guns lots, and at ten paces still think the pellet pistol that is black and shaped roughly like a glock is real until I tell them, no, it a bb gun. Even had a good friend mistake an airsoft gun from three feet away sitting on a shelf for the real gun, and he was quite pissed before I told him it was a toy, because he thought I was holding out on him and hadn't told him I bought a nice Sig. And these are under no stress conditions, good lighting, and from guys who know their guns. Under stress, poor lighting, ect, it is looks like a weapon, is presented as a weapon(even if it is nothing but a pack of smokes or a driver's license), someone likely going to get dead over it. Perception of a weapon is the name of the game here. As well as the play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

Not sure I can say I agree with the law, but I see where they are coming from.

jpmuscle
11-09-15, 18:02
Thing is laws won't stop this from happening in the future (shocking I know). As for kids playing, here's a clue, don't point a gun (replica or otherwise) at the good guys in blue. LE wise not much changes a good shoot is a good shoot given the facts known at the time of a given situation.

TAZ
11-09-15, 19:39
Thing is laws won't stop this from happening in the future (shocking I know). As for kids playing, here's a clue, don't point a gun (replica or otherwise) at the good guys in blue. LE wise not much changes a good shoot is a good shoot given the facts known at the time of a given situation.

I know 100% that these laws wont do squat to change the situation one bit. I go back to the premise that if people would exercise SOME common sense aka teach your damned kids not to point guns at cops, idiot politicians wouldn't have reason to think of this crap. Its not rocket science, but then for some folks wiping their ass without a government edict is.

SteyrAUG
11-10-15, 00:16
You must've had rich parents that loved you, Steyr.

We actually brought toy guns to school.

I brought my Rambo UZI and took the stickers off and my toy 1911 ( I didn't know what a 1911 was and was always told it was a .45) to school with other guys and we had many a playground firefight.

That UZI was my favorite toy gun. Nobody thought anything of it.

Now you'll get MP5'd or M4'd. Progress.

That 1911 was $45 in 1979 which would be about $145.00 today. While I earned better than minimum wage in my chores for allowance rate, technically I did work for it and paid for it myself. Took several months to save up for it.