PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Precision Rifle (Full Review)

Fireman1291
11-09-15, 21:00
Most of you know that I've had two RPR's chambered in 6.5CM and 308Win since the day they came out. The reason this review took so long is I saw other reviewers rushing to be the first to post a video of the RPR. Which I totally get it, strike while the irons hot right?

Well, I really wanted to put this thing through the ringer. And as such I had to take my time collecting the footage for the video. Over the course of the past few months I have built the guns up, sighted them in, shot at distances from 100 to 1,000 yards and spent time getting to know the rifle and it's user intuitive features.

I must say that for the price this sells for at local shops (if you can find one in stock) it has to be the best thing going right now. The 6.5CM and 308Win both shoot sub MOA and feed and extract 100%. The trigger is light and crisp and gets better and better as you use it. I have roughly 800rds through the 6.5 and 600 through the 308Win so they are nice and broken in. I polished the bolt on the 6.5CM and left the 308 alone as a test and you can tell the 6.5CM cycles a tad smother. Other than that I don't see what anyone would need/want to do to this rifle after they set it up with some glass.

For the video I show the best group shot on THAT particular film day and of course the one day I went to the 100 yard indoor range with no wind I shoot a mind blowing 5 shot group and my camera bugged out and the file was corrupted. I was pretty damn pissed for awhile about that one. It looked like a .400" group. UGH! Anyway I really tried to keep the video short but it was hard as I had to tell the story of the rifle and my time with it.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy the video and please leave any feedback in the comments under the video. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8VD3jP3s20

ace4059
11-09-15, 22:37
I still haven't found one reasonable priced that's instock.

Nice video, Great Review... I'm jealous.

Fireman1291
11-10-15, 05:14
I still haven't found one reasonable priced that's instock.

Nice video, Great Review... I'm jealous.

Thank you sir. Yeah it will take awhile for the supply to catch up to demand. Hopefully the prices will fall below MSRP again.

wilson1911
11-10-15, 05:58
Are you going to do a review on the gun stand you used in the video ? It looks good.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-10-15, 11:01
I think a Harris and a rear bag are a more complementary accessories for the Ruger for a big cost savings. I don't get the rear post system. Didn't like them on my LMT MWS or AI chassis rifle. Maybe for a completely flat concrete surface, but anything with an uneven or surface with some give, I couldn't get the stability I wanted with out putting my fist somewhere between the pod and surface. A bag I can squeeze for fine adjustments works better, for me. I bungee the thing to the rifle so I can't lose it or forget it someplace. The posts seem like such a good idea and look cool, but I've gone away from them.

Nice review. A great way for people to get into PRS shooting.

Tx_Aggie
11-10-15, 12:20
Great video. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

This rifle is definitely on my list of purchases for next year.

Fireman1291
11-10-15, 14:20
Great video. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

This rifle is definitely on my list of purchases for next year.

Very cool! Thanks for the compliment!

5.56Geo
11-17-15, 21:47
Very nice review! I am currently number #13 on the waiting list at the LGS chain wide for a 6.5Creedmoor and have been waiting since July 24th! I do like your choice of scope for your 6.5 and had planned to pair one with my 6.5 when I get it. What power magnification did you have it set at during the down scope filming?

HCrum87hc
11-18-15, 14:59
Thanks for the video. It certainly strengthens my desire for one of these rifles. The 6.5 CM is on my short list.

colt933
11-18-15, 15:22
I have one in .243. 200 rounds through it so far with hand loads and it keeps getting better. I cleaned it once at 20 rounds and will clean it again soon.

My only real complaint is the round float tube. I'll put a seekins tube with a flat bottom on it before long.

Fireman1291
11-19-15, 12:28
Very nice review! I am currently number #13 on the waiting list at the LGS chain wide for a 6.5Creedmoor and have been waiting since July 24th! I do like your choice of scope for your 6.5 and had planned to pair one with my 6.5 when I get it. What power magnification did you have it set at during the down scope filming?

I don't remember what magnification it was set at. Most likely it was set at around 20.

BadDogPSD
11-30-15, 22:36
Finally found one in 6.5. Anxious to get it set up and out to the range!

RIDE
11-30-15, 22:37
Finally found one in 6.5. Anxious to get it set up and out to the range!

Nice! Where and how much $?

andersenvincent7
12-03-15, 19:51
Is the trigger comparable to a stock Remington 700?

chrismartin
12-03-15, 20:55
Is the trigger comparable to a stock Remington 700?

My RPR trigger is better than my factory 700 X-Mark Pro trigger. The XMP was all over the place. You would adjust it lower and it wouldn't change pull weight. It was gritty and heavy. I replaced it with a Timney.

The RPR trigger adjusted down to just over 2lbs. It has a little bit of creep if you feel for it, but on the range I don't notice it. It's also smoothed out a bit since I've been shooting it. My only real complaint right now is that the trigger safety blade is "gritty". The blade itself feels like it rubs on something. It's not annoying enough to pin the safety back, but it's still noticeable if you feel for it.

echang86
12-04-15, 02:10
What's the barrel nut like on these things? According to Ruger's website the Ruger Precision Rifle is compatible with AR handguards. But what about the handguards with proprietary barrel nuts? Will the RPR be able to take those??

yossarian42
12-29-15, 12:02
Watched this video on YouTube last night, didn't know it was made by a m4c member. Great video. I'm obsessed with this rifle right now, but having a hard time justifying the purchase. Longest ranges here on long island are 200 yds. Still want.

jack crab
02-07-16, 10:51
Did you mount the bipod with the rail section that came with the rifle?

I brought a RPR home this weekend. Mounted the QD sling mount, no problem.

I mounted the rail and attached the bipod. Looked good. Tried setting the bipod legs, etc. and the whole thing twisted out of the fore end. Yikes.

I did some YouTube and Googling. I mounted some MLok rails on anther gun. Mount some other keymod rails on a third gun. Mounted some rails on an ALG fore end (it appears different from the keymod and MLok format. In short, I mounted a half dozen or so mounts on several other guns. No problem.

Tried again on the RPR, and same thing. Rail and everything pulled off the fore end.

Is the fore end not that durable? Did I get a soft fore end?

I ordered the B&T Atlas bipod mount for tube fore ends so there will be plate inside the fore end for the rail to attach in the future.