PDA

View Full Version : M4C - Fallout 4 Thread

skijunkie55
11-11-15, 08:28
Who has it? How are you liking it so far? What awesome / odd / unexplained things have you encountered so far?

I'm about 5 hours into it and have just completed the first quest outside of Sanctuary. Probably spent 3.5 hours just finding materials, scrapping, and building my settlement.
It is by far the most immersive RPG i've played in a LONG time... So much to do, not enough time to do it. Definitely worth the 5 year wait :D

Crow Hunter
11-11-15, 08:32
A guy I work with has it.

Played about 2 hours last night and loved it. Saved his game. Went to out to eat with his wife. Now it won't load. The game is completely locked up. He looked online, saw it was recommended that he uninstall/reinstall. Can't do that either. He is a little miffed but he said that the game was awesome for what he got to play of it. He also said that the game world looked massive.

Does it have actual calibers and stuff like New Vegas?

That was something that I think is really cool about New Vegas. You can shoot .38 Spec in .357 Magnums or .223 in 5.56 weapons. My buddy here doesn't know enough to tell me. (He doesn't know the difference in real life, a bullet is a bullet to him.)

ETA:

This was on an Xbox One, in case anyone was wondering.

Rekkr870
11-11-15, 09:22
I'm thinking about picking it up today. I'll probably be trading in MGS5....that game was a let down (story wise).

skijunkie55
11-11-15, 09:48
A guy I work with has it.

Played about 2 hours last night and loved it. Saved his game. Went to out to eat with his wife. Now it won't load. The game is completely locked up. He looked online, saw it was recommended that he uninstall/reinstall. Can't do that either. He is a little miffed but he said that the game was awesome for what he got to play of it. He also said that the game world looked massive.

Does it have actual calibers and stuff like New Vegas?

That was something that I think is really cool about New Vegas. You can shoot .38 Spec in .357 Magnums or .223 in 5.56 weapons. My buddy here doesn't know enough to tell me. (He doesn't know the difference in real life, a bullet is a bullet to him.)

It appears the ammo list is scaled down a bit in this game (one ammo type / caliber for each weapon - pistols, rifles, shotgun, energy weapons, etc.) and replaces with higher levels of weapon customization... Video from E3 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-D8KDx2_eQ

I've only got a handful of the gun / ammo types so far. Not enough parts / skill tree level to do the fancy upgrades but getting more every day!

jmp45
11-11-15, 11:58
I picked it up last night at Bestbuy, they had a deal with a ps4 and charge station @349. I have 3 and Vegas, the only games I'm really interested in. Haven't had enough time to compare to Vegas. It would have been nice if they had the controls setup the same as the previous versions.

Crow Hunter
11-11-15, 14:02
I picked it up last night at Bestbuy, they had a deal with a ps4 and charge station @349. I have 3 and Vegas, the only games I'm really interested in. Haven't had enough time to compare to Vegas. It would have been nice if they had the controls setup the same as the previous versions.

Two of my other favorite games. I liked the story/setting better on Fallout 3 but I liked the guns/ammo/faction reputations/Hardcore Mode on New Vegas.

Is there a Hardcore Mode on Fallout 4?

I liked the fact I had to keep up with ammo weight/water/food/sleep and HP were restored slowly instead of instantly. Completely changed my play style. No more spamming stimpacks and hauling around 10,000 lbs of ammo just in case.

VIP3R 237
11-11-15, 14:21
I'm pretty interested in this game but I haven't played any of the previous titles, would I be completely lost if I pick it up?

jmp45
11-11-15, 14:35
Two of my other favorite games. I liked the story/setting better on Fallout 3 but I liked the guns/ammo/faction reputations/Hardcore Mode on New Vegas.

Is there a Hardcore Mode on Fallout 4?

i prefer F3 to Vegas for the setting also. I don't think F4 currently has hardcore mode. I kind of liked the previous versions having places to rest to recover, haven't found any so far in F4 just a handful of stimpacks. I'm not that far out of the vault. Bobby pins break easier on this version be quick to exit that mode on a failure to save them.

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
11-11-15, 15:07
i prefer F3 to Vegas for the setting also. I don't think F4 currently has hardcore mode. I kind of liked the previous versions having places to rest to recover, haven't found any so far in F4 just a handful of stimpacks. I'm not that far out of the vault. Bobby pins break easier on this version be quick to exit that mode on a failure to save them.

It drove me nuts but I constantly saved and would make attempts to prevent my pins from breaking. It was frustrating but that was the only way to open hard locks until I got to higher levels with only a few bobby pins in inventory. Favorite weapons were a mix of stuff but I always kept a Fat Man, Plasma rifle and a good sniper rifle handy. Will be exciting to see how quickly I can gather materials and build good stuff as well as power armor. One of the most annoying things that games like Far Cry 4 actually improve upon is all the crap lying around that I would pick up. I couldn't tell early on what was junk and what I could use as build parts so I would end up hauling everything out of vaults and caves so I could fast travel, dump and repeat only to find out most of it was garbage. Saved up caps that way but it was tedious and took away from the fun.

Jaysop
11-11-15, 15:19
It's pretty awsome. Some nice refinements from the previous ones. Still doesn't look as good as MGS5 but story and environment make you forget it all. So far it's a classic Fallout game. Gun crafting is cool. Haven't gotten to the building parts yet.

And no you can pick up FO4 without having played any of the others and fit right in. It gives you more info in the beginning in this one than the previous ones has.

jmp45
11-11-15, 15:20
If you hit 'O' right before the pins shear you exit and save them. On F3 and Vegas it was easier to do. i had two in F4 and broke both before I could exit. I'm going to save right before I attempt to open whatever so I can go back to recover. I've never been successful of cracking a pass on a terminal. You get 3 attempts then you're locked out. On F4 it resets in 10 seconds so maybe I'll have better luck with that.

A online map has been put up.

http://www.ign.com/maps/fallout-4/commonwealth

SPARTAN HOPLITE ARMS
11-11-15, 15:30
If you hit 'O' right before the pins shear you exit and save them. On F3 and Vegas it was easier to do. i had two in F4 and broke both before I could exit. I'm going to save right before I attempt to open whatever so I can go back to recover. I've never been successful of cracking a pass on a terminal. You get 3 attempts then you're locked out. On F4 it resets in 10 seconds so maybe I'll have better luck with that.

Yeah I always saved before high level doors so I could reload to save the pins. They're not easy to find and I preferred carrying alot.

Crow Hunter
11-11-15, 15:38
I'm pretty interested in this game but I haven't played any of the previous titles, would I be completely lost if I pick it up?

Nope.

They are pretty much self contained and they do a good job of explaining everything at the beginning. There are references to events that happened in the other games but they are easy to pick up on in game. (Like The Master and Super Mutants)

I have never played Fallout and Fallout 2 but jumped right into Fallout 3 with no problem.

I hope they add a Hardcore Mode at a later date. MUCH more fun to play. Unless you fast travel across the whole map and die of thirst... Oops.

Koshinn
11-11-15, 17:48

No you won't. Fallout 1 and 2 take place on the west coast, 3 is DC, New Vegas is obvious, and 4 is Boston area. There are references to past games every so often, but they're not really critical.

I'm only a few hours in and here are my thoughts so far:
Game looks better than stock Skyrim, Fallout 3, and New Vegas. Doesn't look as good as a modded Skyrim, but a modded Skyrim would run at like 1 fps on consoles.

MGS V, which came out a couple months ago, looks much much better.

I've encountered quite a few random bugs and glitches. This is par for the course for a Bethesda game.

Gun crafting is neat.

Crafting in general has basically no instructions on how to do it, so look it up or spend time figuring it out.

Combat is better than previous Fallout games and Skyrim. I'm loving using semi-auto guns.

The Damage Threshold mechanic from New Vegas was removed and F4 goes back to F3's system of only Damage Resistance. DT + DR was way more realistic... I'm guessing they didn't want the game to be complicated.

Reloading ammo from New Vegas was removed. Kind of sucks, but whatever.

I've found 10mm, .38, 5.56, .308, and .45 ammo so far, and I think it was 4 or 5 or 6mm ammo (for the minigun).

The animations in the game are terrible. The jogging animation while holding no weapons is horrendously bad.

F4 no longer has stat points apparently, everything is done via perks. Again a simplification of the game.

The weird thing about F4 compared to other games is that you get power armor VERY early in the game and you also fight a Deathclaw very early in the game. The previous games had power armor as end game gear and deathclaws as things you generally never wanted to mess with.

So besides dumbing down the gameplay but then adding a very complex crafting system, and besides all the random bugs... it's a good game. But unless you HAVE to play it now, I'd wait a few months until most of the bugs get worked out.

SilverBullet432
11-11-15, 17:49
I got it also. Lots of stuff to do. Destiny might be dead...