PDA

View Full Version : (mm forward bolt assist?

AbitNutz
11-13-15, 02:13
I saw that some AR's have a forward bolt assist and some do not...what would that be? Is the forward bolt assist just not needed in 9mm? I would think that since 9mm's are blow back designs that they would get crud more easily.

BillBond
11-14-15, 07:16
Some people think they are not needed at all on any AR15, but I use mine occasionally.

As far as 9mm goes if it had one I would not mind it.

Not sure why you think a 9mm would have more crud buildup since a lot less powder is being burned.

BillBond
11-14-15, 07:16
Double tap.

AbitNutz
11-14-15, 07:54
You're right. Way less powder being burned but with a straight blow back design I would think that a lot more of it would get in the chamber than with a true locked breach system, no?

BillBond
11-14-15, 08:45
The breach is still closed on a 9mm it is just not locked, if it were not closed you would have more serious problems than crud buildup.

Plus it does not have a gas tube dumping gas into the bolt.

jbjh
11-14-15, 11:59
The original Stoner design did not have a forward assist. It was added at the insistence of the military.

There are several schools of thought on this; one being that if a round isn't chambering, clear the offending round, rather than force a potentially greater malfunction.

FWIW, in all the time I've shot an AR, I've never used it, and I've had plenty of malfunctions (older, non-mil spec guns, 223 in an 5.56, etc...).

When I shot IPSC, I was taught to start with Tap-Rack-Bang whenever I had a malfunction. Same with every course I've taken. When I started shooting an AR-15, I did the same. Anytime my bolt won't go all the way forward, if I'm on the bench, I want to know why, and if I'm competing (or God forbid shooting for blood) I want a fresh round in the chamber.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

usmcvet
02-09-16, 15:43
I'd say the FA is there because the company is using a standard upper. Do 9mm BCG's even have the groves for the FA?

wahoo95
02-09-16, 16:01
Do 9mm BCG's even have the groves for the FA?
No they do not

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheChunkNorris
02-10-16, 02:56
No they do not

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bingo,

usmcvet
02-10-16, 05:09
Thanks guys. I didn't think so. I can't find one in stock but from the photos it didn't look it.