PDA

View Full Version : I need a new pistol.....

billybronco
08-04-08, 15:07
The XD m is coming out but the old XD's were kinda hit and miss, were they not? They got a nice warranty to back them up, that's for sure.....

My max out dollar range is between 600.00 and 700.00 for this one.

Can't do glocks, sorry.

FN, XD m, perhaps a Springer 1911 Champion....

I considered the new SIG 250 but the thing just feels too flimsical.

who can help?

ToddG
08-04-08, 17:39
Are you currently without a pistol?

If not, when you say you need a pistol can you be more specific as to your needs?

Oscar 319
08-04-08, 17:47
Just curious as to why an M&P is not on your list for consideration?

:confused:

ZDL
08-04-08, 18:09
What was hit or miss about the xd's?

The xd M looks like marketing hype to me. To be honest though I haven't looked into it a ton so take that with a grain of salt.

billybronco
08-04-08, 18:18
alright, well, i don't NEED a pistol persay; however, i'm going to NEED one when President Hussein takes power and enacts the most oppressive rule over firearms the nation has ever seen.

we all know it will happen if/when he gets in.

i only own 5 pistols.

USP Custom Combat 45 ACP
USP Tactical 45 ACP
Sig P229 Equinox .40
Springer 1911 Champion 45 ACP
P30 9mm

I can shoot a Glock relatively well....no offense guys, but the thing feels like an abortion. the things are built like no other. i'll give em that. i don't see why anybody should have to cant their goddamn wrist forward to acquire a sight picture. nor do i feel that one should have to send it off to somebody to have work done on the trigger OR sights!!!! i mean, no wonder the thing is 500.00 brand new!!!!

i'd like to have a Hi Cap 9mm/40 - night sights - must have an excellent trigger - i obviously like hammered pistols but i'll take a striker - the FNP looks good as does the XD m.

billybronco
08-04-08, 18:21
i've thought about the M&P.....hell, i even recommended one to my buddy who's a JTAC!!!!

don't know why i haven't given it more thought.

perhaps i will........is there a "midsized" pistol in the works?

DZL HOG
08-04-08, 20:30
I like my XD9. I have handled, but not fired the new XDm, I dont see much of a noticeable difference. I think its more marketing to compete with the new M&Ps. The reviews Ive seen from ppl who own them are very happy.

The FNPs seem to get great reviews and are priced great too, they just arent that well known.

The M&P is still on my list, but has been moved down after I handled a CZ. I shoulda bought it then and there, but didnt know anything about them. On other forums they get great reviews on reliability and accuracy. Im not sure if your only looking for poly frames or not. But the CZ75 SP-01 may fit in your criteria. Hi-capacity, hammer fired, manual safety or decocker, DA/SA trigger and the Tatical(decocker) model I looked at had factory night sites. The all metal models will probly be heavy, esp loaded, but poly models are available.

Just a couple suggestions.

RogerinTPA
08-04-08, 22:13
Try the M&P, you will like it. After you decide to buy it, call Grant at G&R Tactical and get a great price.

billybronco
08-05-08, 07:52
thanks folks

trio
08-05-08, 08:02
i understand your opinion on Glock ergonomics...they either work or don't for people (i'm one of those people that thinks a glock feels good in the hand)...

but the work thing I don't get...

since when did you have to send it out to have the trigger or sights worked on? i guess I'm lost there, but I can have every bit of custom work you could ever need done to a glock done by gotm4 five miles from my house for free simply by walking into Virginia Arms and purchasing whatever part I need there....and it generally takes about 5 minutes...and if he wasnt there I could do it myself....i HAVE installed disconnectors, mag releases, etc....and I have no doubt that if someone showed me how I could pretty easily learn the other stuff....

heck when i wanted to try the NY trigger option with the 3,5 disconnector I went to Virginia Arms, handed my glock over, and in under 10 minutes we tried the: NY Trigger, NY Trigger w/ 3.5 connector, Glock Trigger w/ 3.5 connector, and back to stock glock...thats what? 4 trigger jobs in 10 minutes?

is there a firearm you don't need some sort of sight tool or pusher for preferably?

glocks are some of the easiest guns to work on IMO....its one of their greatest selling points to me...if something really, really went wrong in a bad scenario, pop out your armorer's tool. grab the part, and pop it in....

Hound_va
08-05-08, 09:52
I'm kind of amazed that you would find working on a Glock difficult after you've done all the work on your USP Custom Combat 45 ACP, USP Tactical 45 ACP, Sig P229 Equinox .40, Springer 1911 Champion 45 ACP and P30 9mm. Sights are a wash as they all require sight pushers, but for the trigger job aspect, the Glock is by far the easiest to DIY out of the bunch.

billybronco
08-05-08, 10:46
i haven't had ANY work done on ANY of my pistols.....that's my point.

granted, the glock may be super easy to have work done on it, sights, trigger, etc., but i simply can't get around the angle of the frame.

again, my pop has a 23 that i can shoot with a fair degree of accuracy but not with any sort of speed.

i'm taking everybody's advice and seriously considering the M&P

Soulrack223
08-05-08, 11:13
My last pistol purchase was an M&P 40 and it was 100% due to this site. FWIW I am very happy with my purchase.

mattjmcd
08-05-08, 11:23
Another vote for the M&P

Also, have you considered a Walther P99? IMO the ergos are better than those of Glock. My only gripe was that the trigger reset was ridiculously short (mine was an AS model).

Zulu
08-05-08, 14:53
+1 On the M&P Here is a pic of my wifes 9 compact , I'm getting a 40c.

http://www.team99.org/images/guns/cathy/cats.JPG

Larger Pic (http://www.team99.org/images/guns/cathy/cat.JPG)

Jay Cunningham
08-05-08, 14:59
alright, well, i don't NEED a pistol persay; however, i'm going to NEED one when President Hussein takes power and enacts the most oppressive rule over firearms the nation has ever seen.

i only own 5 pistols.

USP Custom Combat 45 ACP
USP Tactical 45 ACP
Sig P229 Equinox .40
P30 9mm

I can shoot a Glock relatively well....no offense guys, but the thing feels like an abortion. the things are built like no other. i'll give em that. i don't see why anybody should have to cant their goddamn wrist forward to acquire a sight picture. nor do i feel that one should have to send it off to somebody to have work done on the trigger OR sights!!!! i mean, no wonder the thing is 500.00 brand new!!!!

i'd like to have a Hi Cap 9mm/40 - night sights - must have an excellent trigger - i obviously like hammered pistols but i'll take a striker - the FNP looks good as does the XD m.

Maybe you NEED to sell four of those pistols.

billybronco
08-05-08, 15:18
yeah katar, you're right.

the USP is a shit pistol. no good at all......not accurate, not reliable, doesn't point like a dream nor is it made well.

as far as the 229 goes, it's not like it's the most accurate pistol i've ever fired nor does it eat anything i feed it.

the champion is an absolute piece too......maybe i'll sell it along with the USP's and the 229 and spend 3K on a CUSTOM 1911!!!!!

YEAH!!! That's a GREEEAAAATTTTT IDEA!!!!

Jay Cunningham
08-05-08, 15:20
yeah katar, you're right.

the USP is a shit pistol. no good at all......not accurate, not reliable, doesn't point like a dream nor is it made well.

as far as the 229 goes, it's not like it's the most accurate pistol i've ever fired nor does it eat anything i feed it.

the champion is an absolute piece too......maybe i'll sell it along with the USP's and the 229 and spend 3K on a CUSTOM 1911!!!!!

YEAH!!! That's a GREEEAAAATTTTT IDEA!!!!

When was the last time you practiced at the range? Which pistol did you take? Did you just take the one pistol? Do you have holsters and mag pouches for all of your different types of pistol?

billybronco
08-05-08, 15:29
my folks live on 138 acres 75 minutes from richmond, va.

i have the luxury of shooting EVERY weekend if i so choose.

we have a 25 yard pistol range, 100 rifle and 300 rifle with steel plates.

i'm no pro like you but i'm pretty nasty with ALL of my handguns, carbines and bolt guns.

last time? the P30 cuz it's my most recent purchase. it's super easy to shoot and took no time to familiarize myself with it.

got all the gear i need.

why? no, they're not safe queens.

Jay Cunningham
08-05-08, 15:35
No need to get defensive.

I'm trying to point out that you DON'T in fact NEED a new pistol.

You WANT a new pistol, which is fine, but different.

The SIMP Principle (http://pistol-training.com/archives/70)

ToddG
08-05-08, 16:16
my folks live on 138 acres 75 minutes from richmond, va.

I hate you.

i'm no pro like you but i'm pretty nasty with ALL of my handguns, carbines and bolt guns.

Some people collect guns because they like to own a lot of guns. There's nothing wrong with that so long as you have the disposable income and/or accept that you're spending money on redundant toys rather than spending money on learning to use your tools better.

Other people tend to own relatively few guns because the finances and/or interest causes them to focus on training with and mastering the few they've got.

The SIMP Principle (http://pistol-training.com/archives/70)

That dude is a frakking genius. :cool:

Jay Cunningham
08-05-08, 16:18
That dude is a frakking genius. :cool:

And modest too! :p

DarrinD
08-05-08, 17:15
DELETED by DarrinD

ToddG
08-05-08, 17:37
To all who have gone astray from the topic: Please take further political discussion to the General Discussion area where a more patient and loving Moderator can tolerate it. Thank you.

billybronco
08-05-08, 17:48
ahhhh....i see now.

yes indeed....i agree wholeheartedly with you.

how's the old wild west adage go?

"beware a man who owns only one gun. he will know how to use it".

you are absolutely correct....i do WANT a new gun.

<edited by ToddG: political stuff>

i believe the M&P midsize 9mm it is....

ralph
08-05-08, 20:01
I own a XD 45 (service model) I've probably got around 6-700rnds through it it's still fairly new, and I really haven't had any problems wth it, I like it alot, I haven't had a chance to get a close look at theXD-M yet, but from what I've read on the XD forum, It seems to be getting mixed reviews, people either like it or hate it, I'd just like to get a good look at one, A few months back I was on the fence of either a XD or S&W MP I did some research on the M&P and at the time I read posts on other forums had lead me to believe that S&W had'nt got all the bugs worked out, stories of mags dropping out on their own, disspointment over quality, etc So, I decided I'd go with a known product and bought the XD, figuring I'd give the M&P another look in a couple of years when they got everything worked out. For me, this worked, I got a high cap .45 that's pretty accurate, very reliable, and built very robustly. If I had to choose between the .45's I own, (2 1911's a Sig p-220) I think I'd go with the XD, simply because I shoot it as well as the other 3, it has a high capacity mag, fewer parts in the pistol, lighter, and built to take abuse..it works for me.

ZDL
08-05-08, 20:06
I own a XD 45 (service model) I've probably got around 6-700rnds through it it's still fairly new, and I really haven't had any problems wth it, I like it alot, I haven't had a chance to get a close look at theXD-M yet, but from what I've read on the XD forum, It seems to be getting mixed reviews, people either like it or hate it, I'd just like to get a good look at one, A few months back I was on the fence of either a XD or S&W MP I did some research on the M&P and at the time I read posts on other forums had lead me to believe that S&W had'nt got all the bugs worked out, stories of mags dropping out on their own, disspointment over quality, etc So, I decided I'd go with a known product and bought the XD, figuring I'd give the M&P another look in a couple of years when they got everything worked out. For me, this worked, I got a high cap .45 that's pretty accurate, very reliable, and built very robustly. If I had to choose between the .45's I own, (2 1911's a Sig p-220) I think I'd go with the XD, simply because I shoot it as well as the other 3, it has a high capacity mag, fewer parts in the pistol, lighter, and built to take abuse..it works for me.

Finally someone else who wasn't impressed the M&P. I was really surprised when I read all the raves about it on here. The one I handled was absolute garbage. I must have had a lemon. I trust most of these guy's and their opinions so since you and I are odd man out that might tell us something.

I will second the XD highly. Love it. Points naturally for me. Hit's what I'm aiming at and goes bang when its supposed too. I'm happy with mine.

TOrrock
08-05-08, 20:55
I like my M&P 45 so much I'm picking another one up.......

If you want to try one, lemme know.

ToddG
08-05-08, 22:26
Finally someone else who wasn't impressed the M&P.

Actually, what he said was that he wasn't impressed by what he'd heard. Nothing in his post suggested he's ever fired one.

The one I handled was absolute garbage.

I realize that was probably hyperbole, but I'm sincerely interested in what you thought about it that led you to such a negative impression. It may, as you said, have been a lemon. But it also might simply have been "not right" for you. In either case, I'd like to get the datapoint.

ZDL
08-05-08, 23:41
Actually, what he said was that he wasn't impressed by what he'd heard. Nothing in his post suggested he's ever fired one.

I realize that was probably hyperbole, but I'm sincerely interested in what you thought about it that led you to such a negative impression. It may, as you said, have been a lemon. But it also might simply have been "not right" for you. In either case, I'd like to get the datapoint.

Sure.

For lack of a better term the gun initially felt "loose" when I first handled it. A simple shake of the weapon provided a "click-clack" sound. Tough to describe so I'll move on to the technical things.

First mag resulted in 2 ftf's. One of the primers had no mark on it leading us (my shooting buddies and I) to believe it wasn't even struck. The other round did have a mark on it but not enough of one to make the round go off. 3rd mag had one more ftf.

The empty mags would not lock the slide back when empty with any sort consistency.

Trigger pull was not consistent. A few times the trigger pull would be "snappy". A few times the trigger would almost feel jammed causing us to actually release the pull to examine the weapon to make sure it wasn't.

It just wasn't what I expected from S&W. I'm ok with the fact that it was probably a lemon but that was the only one I have been able to be exposed to so far. Certainly not passing judgment on the gun.. Just the one I handled.

I read that people here have had some issues with the XD. I for one haven't.

The old ford/chevy discussion really. I've had 2 chevys. One was a total POS. The other.... 140k miles and it just won't die. Same thing.

ToddG
08-05-08, 23:52
ZDL -- Understood, and thanks. Certainly sounds like there was something mechanically wrong with the gun (assuming it was properly cleaned, lubed, factory ammo, all the normal stuff). Did anyone try sending it back to Smith for rehab?

williejc
08-06-08, 01:43
When making a choice, you might consider these issues: domestic product or not; maker's or importer's reputation for warranty service; availability of parts and magazines; and mindset about civilian markets in addition to l.e. sales.

In the future, if restrictive laws prevent importation of handguns, might not this event also affect availability of parts and magazines. Too, some importers could elect to forego the civilian market, and the result would be the same.

S&W will stand on its head to take care of the consumer and so will FN. I consider FN(who owns Browning)to be a domestic company despite their worldwide holdings.

Williejc

ZDL
08-06-08, 01:51
ZDL -- Understood, and thanks. Certainly sounds like there was something mechanically wrong with the gun (assuming it was properly cleaned, lubed, factory ammo, all the normal stuff). Did anyone try sending it back to Smith for rehab?

I'm not sure. It was a gentleman's at the range who let us evaluate it. We passed our judgment on it that something was seriously wrong. It was the gun's first time out according to the guy who owned it. I'll give it another shot when I come across one again. I'm currently looking for another subcompact so know is a good time to get my hands on S&W's version for another test.

Bigun
08-06-08, 03:33

i only own 5 pistols.

USP Custom Combat 45 ACP
USP Tactical 45 ACP
Sig P229 Equinox .40
P30 9mm

i'd like to have a Hi Cap 9mm/40 - night sights - must have an excellent trigger - i obviously like hammered pistols but i'll take a striker - the FNP looks good as does the XD m. You may only have 5 pistols but the ones you have are top notch. Most of the pistols you have are not too small hand friendly so I'm guessing that you have pretty good sized hands, if so you will not be happy with the standard XD even the Tac .40 felt too small for my gorilla mits If all you are looking for is a high cap 9mm look hard at the CZ75B. If you are looking for combat tupperware then the XD M, the S&W M&P, or the FN will be more suitable.

billybronco
08-06-08, 07:58
thanks guys. i'm gonna have to do some more research.

real deal range time would obviously be stellar...

i fired my buddies M&P 45 and it was a nice handling pistol.

i really think that's gonna have to be the one.