PDA

View Full Version : Tungsten Guide Rod in Glock 43

T2C
11-15-15, 10:56
I installed a set of sights for someone and took their Glock 43 to the range to adjust the windage with their carry ammunition. The owner had installed a tungsten guide rod assembly he purchased online from www.Glockstore.com. I had not given changing the guide rod in my Glock 43 much thought until after I fired his pistol.

The recoil of the Glock 43 I sighted was noticeably lighter than my own. Until I got the windage adjusted close I did not fire his defensive ammunition and shot FMJ. With 124g FMJ his Glock 43 shot better 25 yard groups than mine. With my arms resting on a bench I shot several impressive 25 yard groups with some shots touching each other. When I shot his carry ammunition, three of five shots at 25 yards were touching and the group was under 2-1/2". After I zeroed his sights I shot some drills with his pistol and did not have any malfunctions, but I only fired 75 rounds so I can't comment on reliability.

In the past I would not have considered a different guide rod for my Glock 43, but my experience with his Glock 43 with tungsten guide rod has me reconsidering my position.

Has anyone else installed a tungsten guide rod on their Glock 43 or Glock 42? Have you installed a stainless steel guide rod? What were your observations? Was the pistol still reliable? Did you notice a change in felt recoil? Did accuracy improve or get worse? Do you think it was worth the money?

Sgt_Gold
12-07-15, 18:49
Tungsten guide rods are great in bullseye and gamer guns, but are a bad choice in anything used for self defense. I don't have any links, but I've seen and heard about more than one tungsten guide rod cracking and locking up the pistol in question. I've never heard of a stainless guide rod causing the same problem.