PDA

View Full Version : Suppressors on handguns

Nightrain2006
11-15-15, 12:17
I have recently been looking into suppressors and I am kind of looking for some input. I have a Stoeger Cougar 40 cal handgun that im thinking of trying to find one to put on it, doesnt seem to easy to find though. I have read that they can help with recoil up to about 65% & get you back on target quicker, seems like alot but who knows. Does anyone know if the 65% is very accurate and who might make a suppressor for this gun. I live in IA and the laws have changed. I thought about getting one for my M&P 5.56 AR-15 also but read somwhere shoot 1 first before spending the $ as to not be disappointed. Any info on this would be great too. Thanks in advance.

mcnabb100
11-15-15, 18:22
I don't think you are going to have any luck. your pistol using a rotating barrel to lock the breach.

That means its going to be twisting very quickly every time you fire a round.

Silencers typically screw onto the end of a threaded barrel.

That twisting will either loosen the silencer, possibly causing a baffle strike, or over tighten it. Neither is ideal.

I don't think anyone even makes a threaded barrel for it because of these issues.

If you really want a silencer you should look into buying a different gun to put it on. Beretta 92's (9mm) and 96's (.40) are similar to your cougar and will work.

I know they do reduce recoil, but I have no idea on the %, as I haven't ever used one. I do plan on buying one eventually.

Turnkey11
11-15-15, 18:34
Buy a 9mm, you would be very happy with a full size can and subsonic ammunition. My Beretta M9 is the next gun I plan on buying a threaded barrel for, Ive been more than happy with Glocks, M&P's, and Sigs as suppressor hosts as well. Has the Iowa suppressor bill been signed into law yet? Id almost consider moving home for a few years if my NFA stuff becomes legal.

Auto-X Fil
11-15-15, 19:12
Shooting with a can is generally more enjoyable. One major downside is that you can't see the sights on most guns, so you either need to get tall sights, or sort of aim through the suppressor where the target and front sight should be lining up.

sevin8nin
11-15-15, 19:41
I can confirm you won't be able to suppress that gun. Gem tech worked with Beretta to come up with a suppressor for the rotating barrel of the px4 and then Beretta mothballed the project when they didn't get the SOCOM bid on the. 45
Gemtech holds all the patents for it and there's no demand so thusly, they don't make it.
Also. 40 is almost all supersonic, and louder. Not a very popular one to suppress.

As others have said, buy something in 9mm.

26 Inf
11-15-15, 21:34
I can confirm you won't be able to suppress that gun. Gem tech worked with Beretta to come up with a suppressor for the rotating barrel of the px4 and then Beretta mothballed the project when they didn't get the SOCOM bid on the. 45
Gemtech holds all the patents for it and there's no demand so thusly, they don't make it.
Also. 40 is almost all supersonic, and louder. Not a very popular one to suppress.

As others have said, buy something in 9mm.

Okay, the LGS guy told me that I needed three suppressors 1) .22; 2) .308; 3) .45; I'm getting a .22 first, but wanted to check on the validity of using a .308 suppressor on a .223 or 300.

DirectTo
11-15-15, 21:47
Okay, the LGS guy told me that I needed three suppressors 1) .22; 2) .308; 3) .45; I'm getting a .22 first, but wanted to check on the validity of using a .308 suppressor on a .223 or 300.
I share my 308 suppressor with multiple guns and uppers in 308, 300BO, 5.56, and even a 270 Winchester. Works great across the board.

fivepointoh
11-15-15, 23:41
If you want to keep it cheaper w/ the cans, at least for the rifle one, look into the Saker and when you shoot 5.56 just throw the 5.56 endcap on the saker and it suppresses pretty damn well.

note2self
11-16-15, 01:51
I recommend you get into something 9mm and then get something like an octane 45 hd(that's what I have). That way you can use it on anything from 17hmr to 300blk. I shoot mine on a G17 and savage 17hmr and it's a blast. Recoil is noticeably less on 9mm although i don't know the numbers. Most guys run tall sights but many shoot through the suppressor itself. That's what I prefer and I never have any grouping issues. If you do get into a 9mm, check out KKM barrels....great product and 100% drop in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 Inf
11-16-15, 12:45
Thanks guys.

punkey71
11-16-15, 13:17
For someone who doesn't know exactly what they want, this is pretty neat.

The absolute best at anything? No, of course not. But the versatility is pretty damn amazing.

300WM, 308, 300blk, 556, 9mm, 22.... Damn.

~ $900 plus the stamp.

I've got 556, 9mm and 22 cans so its not really tempting for me, but the guys who haven't jumped in yet can get a hell of a bang for your buck to get started.

http://youtu.be/ZCP4AF8Hv-k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheChunkNorris
11-16-15, 13:27
So far I ended up with:

SilencerCo Warloc
SilencerCo Octane 9 and 45
SilencerCo Saker556
AAC SDN 762

Got those all in one shot when they were talking about rescinding gun trusts so I said screw it and buy what I could. I also have a Knights Mark 23 can as well but that sits in the Mark 23 baggy and comes out for pics. Good thing about the Octane is the pistons are easy to find. Looking back I would've gotten a Saker 556K but the overall sound quality is good on either one. Good luck!

Auto-X Fil
11-16-15, 14:01
This really needs to be moved to the NFS section.

.30 cal suppressors can work just fine on 5.56. A dedicated 5.56 can is a little quiter, but not that much.

Rifle cans normally quite a bit heavier and larger than pistols cans.

Rimfire causes lots of buildup on the baffles. If you're going to shoot rimfire a lot, you NEED a can you can disassemble and clean.

Thus a great minimal setup would be:

1) Light, small 22 rimfire can. Or, skip it if you don't mind just shooting rimfire unsupressed. It's no worse than 5.56 with a can, in most cases.
2) Pistol can in .45 if you shoot that a lot, or 9mm if you can live without suppressed .45 and shoot 9mm a lot.
3) Rifle can in .30 that can handle 300 Win mag. There are a ton of good choices for this, and some have 5.56 end caps to quiet things up a little.

FYI, the coolest suppressed setup I've ever shot is a Ruger American bolt 300 BLK. Sub-sonic 240gr slugs at 1000fps, and that thing is QUIET. Like a BB gun.

tigershilone
11-16-15, 17:28

Yea, he is pretty much dead on target.

Rim fire requires a dedicated can you can take apart EASILY to clean as the lead/debris will literally fill it after a couple thousand rounds. I've cleaned/helped clean silencerco spectre II and sparrow, and a gemtech 22 can (cant remember model). The spectre was easiest to disassemble/clean/reasssemble and the gemtech the worst. Had such a hard time taking it apart, thought we were going to break it. The carbon lead build up inside was keeping us from taking it apart as everything was sticking to the outside tube. The spectre was literally 1/5 the time to clean with no drama at all.

30 cal suppressor can be used on smaller calibers, just decide what type of muzzle mount you are going with. I have a specwar .30 and eventually got a saker 556. If i had it to do over again I'd just get an Omega from silencerco and be done with it---one mount for everything instead of splitting up mounts types by caliber.

.45 pistol will also downsize in caliber as well. I've had a couple AAC Tirants, Silencerco Osprey and also played with Gemtech and Silencerco Octanes. I really like what silencerco has done with their piston setup, you really can have a .45 can do it all with swappable pistons for smaller calibers. If I had the option to do this all over again I would do The silencerco Osprey in 45 (if limited to one can) and again the Osprey in 9mm. The reason I like that can is it is eccentric shaped and clears most sights. Besides the sight issue, the eccentric shape also lets you see when the can is walking off the threads of the barrel.

Center-fire cans really don't need to be cleaned from what I've seen. My AAC tirants haven't needed it after approx 6k rounds so that just adds more faith for the Osprey which is not user serviceable (but silencerco will clean it if you send it in to them, great CS). The other plus in my book for the Osprey is the serialized portion of the can is the booster housing assy. If for whatever reason you get a baffle strike thru the rectangle tube portion it can be repaired without a lot of heartache, get a baffle strike through the AAC outer tube (the serialized part) and you are buying a new suppressor in all likely-hood.

There nothing quite like shooting a HK 45 tactical with a suppressor :D. The only parts I've had wear out so far have been piston booster o-rings and those are cheap to replace.

the only regret for shooting suppressed is not doing it sooner.

Nightrain2006
11-16-15, 20:08
Thanks for all the input guys, that's why I asked the question here, it all helps. I never even gave the rotating barrel a thought.

DirectTo
11-16-15, 20:16
Question for you guys with pistol cans...do you see any additional wear on the barrel assembly due to the increased mass of the metal on the barrel in a Browning-style system.