PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Mk6 1-6x review and shooting at 843 yards

californiasushi
11-15-15, 17:02
I know there's some interest in the Leupold Mk6 1-6x with the CMR-W 5.56 reticle and I wrote a review for a website some of my friends and I started. It's really long and has a bunch of pictures so I didn't want to put a huge wall of text here so here is the link:

http://gunpositive.com/leupold-mk6-1-6x-cmr-w-5-56-a-review-and-some-shooting-at-long-distance/

In the article I also go over shooting a full-sized torso target at 843 yards with the scope mounted on a 16" factory DD upper with a home-built lower. There's a YouTube video of it in the article. I was shooting Hornady 75gr BTHP handloads that I load for my RRA NM 20" stainless barrel and the load was accurate although the velocity was a bit slow. That's the farthest I've shot the scope out to and I thought the reticle was really great to that distance.

If you enjoy it, please like our Facebook!

http://facebook.com/gunpositive

Thanks!

SWATcop556
11-15-15, 19:31
Good review and thanks for the info. This one is on my short list for sure.

Coal Dragger
11-15-15, 19:56
Thanks for the review, I'm actually trying to decide on a scope for my new DDM4V11 Pro.

Hochsitz
11-18-15, 10:43
Nice detailed review. Impressive shots at that distance!

californiasushi
11-18-15, 23:33
Thanks for the positive feedback, I'm glad you guys found the review helpful. I didn't find a lot of shooting reviews on the scope when I was looking at getting one so I thought it'd be nice to get one going. I felt the reticle was unique in 1-nx scopes so I definitely wanted to test it out at distance. I'm happy it worked out as well as it did.

rauchman
11-20-15, 18:36
Thank you. Really great review.

Couple of questions on the scope.....

How long does the battery last on full daytime illumination?
Can you show a pic at 1x w/out illumination?
Have you had occasion to shoot at 1x no ilum, and if so, did you find it workable?

Rohardi
11-21-15, 08:24
The MK6 will be going on my SR15 this winter! Thanks for the review!

HKGuns
11-21-15, 09:04
I really like my MK6, it is on my SCAR17 that I took deer hunting this year.

californiasushi
11-21-15, 17:28
I'm honestly not sure what the battery life is. I don't think there's an official spec on it. There's a post here where Koshinn said "Roughly 24 hours of daylight bright illumination, another 24 hours of gradually dimming illumination still suitable for dawn and dusk, and a final 24 hours of night visible illumination," and that seems about right to me. I've never actually measured it. I usually use the two highest levels of illumination outside, depending on how bright it is outside, so the batteries need a decent amount of energy left for the illumination to be daylight visible. I don't know how other people feel about auto shut-offs for illumination but for range use it might be helpful. I've forgotten to turn the illumination on the Mk6 off and it was dead the next time I tried to use it.

Here's a picture of the 1x without illumination on an IDPA target outside:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23305689/Mk6%201x%20No%20Illumination.jpg

I haven't really used it at 1x without illumination but just trying it very briefly outside it seemed difficult to aim at smaller objects at speed. Shooting at bigger objects, like that IDPA target, at close distances was workable though.

Thank you. Really great review.

Couple of questions on the scope.....

How long does the battery last on full daytime illumination?
Can you show a pic at 1x w/out illumination?
Have you had occasion to shoot at 1x no ilum, and if so, did you find it workable?

rauchman
11-23-15, 20:00
I'm honestly not sure what the battery life is. I don't think there's an official spec on it. There's a post here where Koshinn said "Roughly 24 hours of daylight bright illumination, another 24 hours of gradually dimming illumination still suitable for dawn and dusk, and a final 24 hours of night visible illumination," and that seems about right to me. I've never actually measured it. I usually use the two highest levels of illumination outside, depending on how bright it is outside, so the batteries need a decent amount of energy left for the illumination to be daylight visible. I don't know how other people feel about auto shut-offs for illumination but for range use it might be helpful. I've forgotten to turn the illumination on the Mk6 off and it was dead the next time I tried to use it.

Here's a picture of the 1x without illumination on an IDPA target outside:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23305689/Mk6%201x%20No%20Illumination.jpg

I haven't really used it at 1x without illumination but just trying it very briefly outside it seemed difficult to aim at smaller objects at speed. Shooting at bigger objects, like that IDPA target, at close distances was workable though.

Thank you!