PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Midsized Conceal Carry!

crusader377
11-16-15, 09:53
Although I carry my S&W shield regularly, the recent ISIS attacks in Paris are making me consider upgrade my carry options especially when out in larger public situations. I currently own a full size M&P along with a full size CZ and Beretta and I'm very familiar with all three platforms. The problem is they are a bit too large dimensionally. Here are the options that I'm looking and please feel free to share your thoughts.

1) Just carry the full size M&P 9: Although it is a large gun dimensionally it is relatively lightweight and perhaps the right holster such as a crossbreed could make it more concealable.

2) Beretta 92 Compact: I like this pistol a lot due to superb build quality and I greatly enjoy shooting my full sized 92. Downsides are that it is the most expensive and relatively heavy.

3) CZ PCR or P01: Like the pistol and strikes a good size/performance balance. Downsides still heavier than a polymer pistol.

4) S&W M&P 45c: If this pistol was a 9mm with a 14-15 round capacity would buy it in a heartbeat. Although I like the .45 acp round, I would like more capacity.

5) Glock 19: Great logical choice and has a great size/performance balance. Downsides: Glocks never particularly excited me and I already have too many platforms and would prefer not to add another.

6) CZ P07: Pros: Least expensive, very good size/performance balance. Downsides: Although it is a CZ and I enjoy shooting them, the P07 has zero interchangeability in magazines with the CZ75 so it would really be like a Glock in terms of investing in a new platform.

7) Other

Although I'm open to other suggestions, please don't offer up the M&P 9c. I really want to like the gun but I have large hands and I simply don't like how I grip the pistol.

Straight Shooter
11-16-15, 10:02
I voted for the G19..BUT if you don't want to add another to the stable...then carry the full sized M&P by all means. I switch between the G19, G17 & G41 all the time. The right holster makes a world of difference.

DirectTo
11-16-15, 10:30
Just carry the full size M&P9. You're used to it, you like it, you're probably pretty proficient with it. A quality holster will make it comfortable to carry and easy to hide. And you can take the gun money and buy a holster and a lot of extra ammo.

I'm 5'10", 170 and I can hide a Glock 17 in a Galco King Tuk though I'm usually a 19 guy. Your average passerby isn't going to take a second look anyway.

civiliansheepdog
11-16-15, 10:34
I voted for the G19, but you should look into the Sig P320 if you don't like Glocks. The Sig has a compact model that has a fantastic trigger.

Watrdawg
11-16-15, 10:59
I voted for the G19 and carry mine most every day. Another option coming in about the same size as the G19 is the M&P Midsize 45. It has more capacity than the M&P45c you mentioned. I will carry my M&P 45 middy sometimes and have no issues. It is easily the more accurate than my G19

TAZ
11-16-15, 11:17
Carry the gun that you shoot well and is reliable for you. Unless you're looking at a Desert Eagle or something of the like to carry wearing spandex; with the correct belt, holster and slight wardrobe change you can hide a lot. I'm 5'6 and around 185 or so. Ive carried a USP45, G21SF+X300, 1911, G19, USP45c, HK45, P30, MP9, MP45, XD45 and VP9. Never got made. Jeans and untucked T-shirt or button down.

It's shocking how much gun you can conceal with quality carry gear. So I wouldn't worry too much about size and dedicate your time to identifying the gun that works best for you; then get gear to hide it.

TheChunkNorris
11-16-15, 11:43
I vote for the VP9 only because it competes directly against the G19.

crusader377
11-16-15, 11:56
I vote for the VP9 only because it competes directly against the G19.

I looked at both the VP9 and PPQ and although they are great guns, I really don't want to mess with the whole European style trigger guard mounted magazine release. All of my pistol training has been focused on the American style thumb magazine release.

TheChunkNorris
11-16-15, 12:03
I looked at both the VP9 and PPQ and although they are great guns, I really don't want to mess with the whole European style trigger guard mounted magazine release. All of my pistol training has been focused on the American style thumb magazine release.

You can go with the PPQ M2 if you wish to have the thumb release, the M1 is the one with the European type release. I see you have a Shield... do you favor a single stack more? If that be the case I'd look at a Kahr.

BatteryOperated
11-16-15, 12:22
Try each and base your decision on what you feel is best for you. Since everyone has a slightly different opinion on what is best, shooting one is the only way to make a choice. It seems the best choices have already been covered in the thread, and I would choose from one of those listed. My own personal choice is the PPQ.

Nowski87
11-16-15, 12:44
I would say go with a form factor you know. You can carry the full size M&P but it is a little big, do you I would look at the compact or the CZ P07. Both roughly the size of the Glock 19 which is one of if not the most poplar carry gun.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

LongLostBushman
11-16-15, 12:56
I would suggest the Glock 19. It is an excellent carry gun and usually recommended for a multitutde of good reasons. I also might suggest that you pick up a compact M&P if you like the platform.

Pi3
11-16-15, 12:59
m&p 9c. same as a platform you are already familiar with.

crusader377
11-16-15, 13:11
m&p 9c. same as a platform you are already familiar with.

I really want to like the M&P 9c but the grip is too small for my big hands even with the extended grip option on the 12rd magazine. I looked probably 4-5 times at one. Each time I was hoping to change my mind about the pistol but the M&P9c keeps on coming up short.

MegademiC
11-16-15, 13:11
I carry an mpfs in a vg2 with a wilderness belt with stiffener. I carry Aiwb and can conceal it with fitted t-shirts decently, fitted untucked buttondowns well.

Pi3
11-16-15, 14:27
I really want to like the M&P 9c but the grip is too small for my big hands even with the extended grip option on the 12rd magazine. I looked probably 4-5 times at one. Each time I was hoping to change my mind about the pistol but the M&P9c keeps on coming up short.

Has anyone tried this & is it reliable?
http://x-grips.com/products/sw.html

Auto-X Fil
11-16-15, 15:08
Just carry the full-size M&P if you shoot it well. I don't have a ton of use for something between a single stack 9 and a 4.5" gun. Heck; you might as well try carrying it for a while and see.

I have shot the VP9, PPQ (and M2,) and G19. The VP9 is my favorite by a decent bit, but the PPQ is good as well. If you want to keep the thumb mag release (consistency in training is good), then go PPQ M2.

The G19 offers the option of carrying G17 reloads, and investing into the G26/19/17/34 lineup is never a mistake. But I think a G19 needs work to be what the PPQ is out of the box.

RWH24
11-16-15, 19:03
I like the M&P FS but not the 9c. I voted other for the Sig 320c. Feels real good in my hand or the Sig 250c either one.
I also have a Sig M11-A1 and M&P45 Mid. I'll just carry my Shield 9 thou and an extra mag.

concreteguy
11-16-15, 19:35
Keep your M&P. I only have a tuff time concealing mine in the summer with tight shirts and shorts.

wahoo95
11-16-15, 19:52

The extended baseplate makes it the same size as the G19 which you're considering?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

anachronism
11-16-15, 20:30
Other: FNS 9mm. A bit more compact than other "full-sized" 9mms, 17+1 capacity, plus the ergonomics are so well laid out that it handles much like a much more compact gun.

FN really needs to promote this series much better than they've done so far. Another plus? Made in the U.S.A.

BigSteveEM
11-16-15, 20:30
Try a Sig 239 for your hand. Great shooter for smaller hands or change grip size many options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCBRUIN
11-16-15, 20:57
Glock 19 is the easy answer.

But I'd take a hard look at the Sig P320 compact, and since you included the Beretta 92 Compact I'll throw the P229 (without ginormous beaver tail) in there.

I'd also add the HK45c as an option.

SkiDevil
11-16-15, 21:53
Voted Berreta 92 Compact. You stated that the full-size 92 is one of your preferred sidearms.

I agree with the view that the 'right' carry gear or holsters will hide just about any service style handgun. I carried a G17 for a while and never felt it was over-size.

Since moving over to HK, I prefer a compact USP 9mm or a P2000 SK 9mm.

Bottom-line is go with what pistol you perform best with and have confidence in versus what others suggest.

Ratfink
11-16-15, 22:54
Sig p320 compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
11-16-15, 23:23
Although I'm open to other suggestions, please don't offer up the M&P 9c. I really want to like the gun but I have large hands and I simply don't like how I grip the pistol.

Have you tried extended mag plate extensions or your full size mags with or w/o an XGRIP? I do basically the same with my Glock 26 w/ a +0 Pearce Grip extension and G19 or G17 spare mags. Personally if I were you I'd look into that option since you already have the full size M&P.

I voted Glock 19

Stengun
11-16-15, 23:41
Howdy,

Like others I voted for the G19.

It wasn't my first choice for a CCW handgun, that would be a G23, but it would be my choice of the guns on the list because it was the only Glock listed even if it was a 9mm.

I also do NOT understand the "It's too big!" or "Its too heavy!" line of thinking when it comes to a CCW handgun.

Paul

reed88
11-17-15, 00:05
I voted p07. This is the I've come to conclusion is near perfect for me. Size glock 19ish capacity 15 17 with the the included +2 base plates 19 available with the p09 mags. One of the best ergos of any polymers I've ever held. Best part, which may be subjective, it has some of the most dense polymer I've ever felt, especially after the 320c, and the fns.

Also I don't see how people get around to recommending the vp9 as a compact option its 17 size for heavens sake! Not to mention it has wings for that uh all day stability when your an active lady.

Hemoglobin
11-17-15, 00:49
So I know this is going to sound complicated, but honestly the glock 19. So to me almost all factory sights are BS. They are place holders. Now glock takes the cake for the worst but you know it going into most handguns that you are going to change them. So I just installed the apex flat trigger w/ bar in my 19. I put the 10-8 FO sights and wider notch rear... and the base plates. Ok I now have the gun that was meant for me. As in... I just got a Aim gen 2 and ordered all the vickers pieces, the 10-8 sights, the trigger... I'll stipple it. That trigger is the jam. I hate to say buy a gun then spend more money, but that aim gen 2 deal with some customization is pretty hot. At least it is going to let me know if I should do a full on finger groove chop. That said I like the grip angle and I'm committed. Honestly you don't have bad choices though.

Tigereye
11-17-15, 06:31
I voted G19. You may also be able to conceal your M&P better with the right holster. I think we gun guys worry more about printing than the general public. I believe that most people in public don't have a clue and are too wrapped up in their smart phones to notice.

JackFanToM
11-17-15, 07:49
PPQ is only slightly larger than the G19, coupled with the Oynx IWB holster

friendlyfireisnt
11-17-15, 09:19
Went through a pretty similar decision awhile ago.

Had M&P9's, felt they are a bit too large to carry for me.

I initially chose the CZ P-07 as my mid-size. Didn't have any issues switching back and forth between them either. Downside is magazine cost, and there are precious few sight options. Mine came with tritium sights, and they are pretty decent, but I will eventually switch to fiber optics. Market support isn't really there yet.

I've come to the decision to keep the P-07, ditch the M&P9's and replace them with Glock 19's.

While initial cost for a P-07 is lower, once you factor in the cost of magazines, it's stars to even out, if you keep a large supply of mags. It's also easier to find spare parts, which is a plus.

When it comes down to accuracy and shootability, the P-07 is significantly more accurate than either of my M&P9's, slightly more accurate than my two new Glock 19's. However, I'm finding I am more accurate at speed with the Glock 19's than the P-07. Close, but the 19's are winning.

CDKJudoka
11-17-15, 10:47
I voted PCR/P-01, mainly because they are within an ounce or two of a G19. Yes, it is lighter than the Polymer P-07, and the only reason I know is because I own both, and carry both. You can't go wrong with the P-07 (1 or 2 extra rounds depending on the generation) but the P-01 will be able to comfortably use older CZ75 mags, which made by Mec-Gar are about $20 for 16 rounders. The P-07 mags still go for north of $40. The P-07 will be cheaper for the initial buy than anything listed.

Vandal
11-17-15, 11:12
I voted other, Sig P320c. I have a Glock 19 and really like it but you will have to immediately replace the sights and the trigger in Glocks is pretty much garbage compared to other striker fired guns. The P320c has replaced my G19. I liked it enough to buy a P320 full size as well. The grip/frame is better, the trigger is better and it's more precise in my hands.

HCrum87hc
11-17-15, 13:56
I'm going with the PPQ. It's a great shooting gun, and approximately the size of a glock 19, but slightly larger. I carry mine in a Stealthgear USA Onyx and love it. Having said that, shoot the ones you're seriously considering. That's the best way to go about it.

crusader377
11-17-15, 14:43
I voted PCR/P-01, mainly because they are within an ounce or two of a G19. Yes, it is lighter than the Polymer P-07, and the only reason I know is because I own both, and carry both. You can't go wrong with the P-07 (1 or 2 extra rounds depending on the generation) but the P-01 will be able to comfortably use older CZ75 mags, which made by Mec-Gar are about $20 for 16 rounders. The P-07 mags still go for north of $40. The P-07 will be cheaper for the initial buy than anything listed.

The PCR/P01 is in serious contention for me. I already have a CZ-75b and I like the platform a lot.

armtx77
11-17-15, 15:03
I voted other and offer the OP the P2000sk in V1 Lite LEM.

I know it is a tweener in size as the pinky slides under the mag well, but it shoots like a full size and carries like a compact.

CDKJudoka
11-17-15, 16:31
The PCR/P01 is in serious contention for me. I already have a CZ-75b and I like the platform a lot.
Even more reason to go with the PCR/P01. Familiar platform and you already have spare mags for it. [emoji6]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

opngrnd
11-17-15, 18:46
I voted G19. There is a good reason almost everything gets compared to it, and that's coming from a 1911 guy.

I ran the M&P from 2011-2015 while waiting to finish building my 1911, minus a year of only shooting what I was issued(M9). I used to hate the grip angle of Glocks, and the M&P initially was great sue to the 1911ish ergonomics and thumb safety. Plus, with a thumb safety you can safely put the Apex USB and Hard Sear and have a great 4# trigger that beats any polymer trigger I've tried. But beyond that, the size of the M&P was kind of the wrong size for CCW. A full size 1911 carries flatter, and a G19 seems to do anything the M&P could while also carrying easier. Again, I did like the ergonomics and flat tracking of the slide, but it lost its place in my line up.

I recommend getting the G19, mags, and ammo. So do most others who voted. If I wasn't vested in (and happy with) 1911s, I would probably just be shooting G19s at this point, with a Beretta thrown in to keep current on on the M9 manual of arms. And since my back won't last forever, I'll probably end up saving the Colts for special occasions and shooting the G19 more and more as I approach Decade 4 of life.

Chameleox
11-17-15, 19:37
I picked other. You have a Shield and a full size M&P. If you can conceal the full size, attire and activity depending, rock on. If you can't, the Shield is a good choice. It's pretty capable for a small gun, and will go fine on the hip, appendix, on the ankle, or even in big enough pockets.

Spend the money on some ammo, training, and some holster options.

teutonicpolymer
11-18-15, 06:32
I'd go with the vp9, SIG p320, Glock 17/19, or a CZ P07/Sphinx sdp

This would come down to what I could comfortably conceal for me, but honestly I could pick one of these at random and be satisfied

Hmac
11-18-15, 06:40
I picked other. I wouldn't carry a mid-size pistol. My PPS is the perfect carry gun for me. If I was going to CC a mid-size, a pistol the size and form factor of the Glock 19 is perfect, but...it's a Glock, so that's out. I've found that my PPQ is about the same size, and my VP9 is only slightly larger. That size difference is a valid trade-off. Getting a Glock for its form factor alone turned out to be a bad choice for me.

jca1386
11-18-15, 08:49
I went with the Glock 19. In my few years of carrying, shooting and training one thing has been apparent: Consistency. I have a glock 17,19, MP9, a CZ P07 and a custom 1911. I have experimented and carried all of the above and shot them all at different points in my shooting "career". I gravitated back toward the glock platform for a few simple reasons. I have the mags, holsters, mag carriers and spare parts kicking around. I'm pretty confident in my 'smithing abilities with the glock and that cuts out the downtime for the weapon(s) if I want to change anything around.

As others have stated with a good holster and belt combination you can carry/conceal anything albeit with some creative clothing or carry methods. I'm 5'7" 170 I can carry all those weapons rather comfortably. I guess what it truly boils down to is how much time/energy/money you want to devote to shooting this gun. I try to stick with the same caliber for cost purposes and ease of storage. The glocks, while having a somewhat "unique" grip angle have a million parts available as well as sight options. If that helps sway your decision.

I shot, carried and trained with the CZ, holster options are limited as are parts and sights. Not a terrible gun whatsoever, and it was a very soft shooting 9mm, I just could not get myself to go full bore with the CZ swap. Again this is my humble opinion, for some it works perfectly and with my neanderthal brain the disassembly was not as easy and simple as a glock.

The 1911 is an awesome pistol. End of story there. But for the same reasons I posted above I was a bit leery about doing any serious work to the gun and/or not having the gun at my disposal while it was at the gunsmith having work done to it. This is where the glock works for me again, I can go online and for 50 or so bucks I can have the parts to rebuild the trigger system and be back up and running. It carries so well, and feels superb in the hand and if you venture down that road more power to you! It's a super platform that requires attention and the ability to diagnose problems.

You have the M&P 9, you know the concerns that you have with carrying but you also don't need to learn another platform. The controls, mags etc are all pretty much the same and you're aware of the issues if any that the gun has. Confidence in the weapon that you're carrying is an important thing, don't underestimate that. I carried mine for a short spell, the thing that kept me from continuing was that it was roughly the same size as the 17 I had carried for a while and I didn't want to learn another platform. I had the apex parts in it as well as the warren sights on it, again I just didn't want to learn another platform and devote the energy into something I had already had in service.

Sorry for the rambling onto a tangent....just got home from a night in the firehouse with a minimal amount of sleep....

Joe

TheChunkNorris
11-18-15, 10:08
I voted p07. This is the I've come to conclusion is near perfect for me. Size glock 19ish capacity 15 17 with the the included +2 base plates 19 available with the p09 mags. One of the best ergos of any polymers I've ever held. Best part, which may be subjective, it has some of the most dense polymer I've ever felt, especially after the 320c, and the fns.

Also I don't see how people get around to recommending the vp9 as a compact option its 17 size for heavens sake! Not to mention it has wings for that uh all day stability when your an active lady.

The only thing that's Glock 17 sized is the grip and aside from that the other measurements are identical:

G17

Height - 138mm
Width - 30mm
Length - 204mm

VP9 -

Height - 137mm
Width - 33mm
Length - 186mm

G19 -

Height - 127mm
Width - 30mm
Length - 185mm

The P07 is a great choice and you can always take the the cocking aids off and add flat ones... for $20.00.

ramairthree
11-18-15, 10:33
I say G19 or Beretta Compact.
Both with proven decades of reliability and accuracy,
Plenty of mags,
Not that expensive.

Forgot to add,
My opinion, YMMV,
Is if you appendix carry use a gun with a manual safety.
beretta compact FS

Knorth
11-18-15, 11:31
Glock 19. Got mine last year and it's a great weapon. It shoots great and conceals pretty well. I carry it in a Milt Sparks summer special and a Kydex Crown OWB.

yugo308guy
11-18-15, 18:50
I'll be a bit different here and recommend you try and find a Steyr M9A1 to try. Slightly larger than a G19 but smaller than a G17. 15 or 17 Rd capacity mags available. Very minimal muzzle rise when shooting allows for quicker follow up shots. Most people feel the ergonomics are great, and they generally have an excellent trigger out of the box. They have the unusual trapezoidal sights, which I like a lot due to my old eyes, but you can replace them with traditional 3 dot or night sights easy enough. I'm 5'7" and 235lbs, not fat but bulky, and it conceals extremely easily for me.

Hot Sauce
11-18-15, 19:24
Honestly, any of the mid-sized CZs sound like great choices. For striker fired, the G19/PPQ are good.

If we figure in logistics, clear winners are the PCR/P01. You already have mags and platform experience. Sticking to a similar platform is likely to help you as much if not more than whatever slight performance gains you might get from a completely different latest/greatest pistol.

yoni
11-19-15, 05:41
I voted for Glock 19.

But I never carry a Glock 19 except maybe as a second pistol if I feel the threat level warrants it.

I carry either a Glock 34 or a 17 with a threaded barrel in it, both of these are equipped with RMR. When nostalgia over comes me, the I carry a Hi Power.

I like full sized pistols and have never been made. I find no comfort difference between a Glock full sized and a Glock 19.

BuzzinSATX
11-19-15, 06:03
Has anyone tried this & is it reliable?
http://x-grips.com/products/sw.html

I usually carry a G26 and often use a G19 magazine with an X-Grips spacer. Works great for me and no "pinch" associated with some mag extensions.

I do not recommend it for a spare magazine, though, simply because in the event you would have to reload, I think it could cause an issue seating the mag in the event it slips towards the top of the mag. Not saying this has happened to me, just that it is a possibility.

crusader377
11-23-15, 16:35
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Ending up ordering a Beretta 92 Compact with night sights. I already own a full size and shoot it well. It came down to the CZ P01, Beretta, or the M&P. Although I do appreciate the Glock, I simply don't shoot them at well and really didn't want to mess with learning a new platform. I had a very good year at work as well and wanted to reward myself with something a little more special as well. My wife is giving me the gun for Christmas and I will definitely be reviewing it and posting it on the forum sometime after Christmas.

RIDE
11-23-15, 16:36
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Ending up ordering a Beretta 92 Compact with night sights. I already own a full size and shoot it well. It came down to the CZ P01, Beretta, or the M&P. Although I do appreciate the Glock, I simply don't shoot them at well and really didn't want to mess with learning a new platform. I had a very good year at work as well and wanted to reward myself with something a little more special as well. My wife is giving me the gun for Christmas and I will definitely be reviewing it and posting it on the forum sometime after Christmas.

Nice! Congrats and enjoy.

But I've gotta ask.... Were you the lone Beretta 92 Compact vote?

crusader377
11-23-15, 16:44
No, Someone else was.

JCast265
11-27-15, 21:56
I'd go with the M&P 9mm or pick up a 9c and use full size mags as reloads. You're familiar with the platform already.

mackeymx
11-28-15, 08:13
There are a whole lot of other options out there I'm surprised no one named such as any of the XD or XDm models, Or even Rugers SR series. Enjoy the new piece .

Pilot1
11-28-15, 18:11
I have been carrying a CZ-75D PCR since I bought it new in 2000. I has never hiccupped, and is as accurate as my full size 75B (for me). I like that it holds 15 rounds, and I can get my entire hand on the grip, and I have pretty large hands. Nothing wrong with the G19, but I vastly prefer the PCR even though it is DA/SA.

Just noticed you chose the 92 Compact. I also have the 92 Compact INOX with the rail, and think it is a fine gun. I just think I shoot my PCR better, and it is a little more compact.

crusader377
11-28-15, 23:22
I have been carrying a CZ-75D PCR since I bought it new in 2000. I has never hiccupped, and is as accurate as my full size 75B (for me). I like that it holds 15 rounds, and I can get my entire hand on the grip, and I have pretty large hands. Nothing wrong with the G19, but I vastly prefer the PCR even though it is DA/SA.

Just noticed you chose the 92 Compact. I also have the 92 Compact INOX with the rail, and think it is a fine gun. I just think I shoot my PCR better, and it is a little more compact.

Pilot, My decision came down to between the 92 Compact and the PCR. I think both are great guns and I like both platforms since I own both a 92FS and a CZ-75. Both fit me very well and really what sealed the deal for be was that I felt the 92 Compact was a nicer gun finish wise and that I found a Law Enforcement model with trijicon night sights already installed for a good price. I think I would have been equally well served with the PCR/P01 as well.

TheChunkNorris
11-29-15, 00:51
Pilot, My decision came down to between the 92 Compact and the PCR. I think both are great guns and I like both platforms since I own both a 92FS and a CZ-75. Both fit me very well and really what sealed the deal for be was that I felt the 92 Compact was a nicer gun finish wise and that I found a Law Enforcement model with trijicon night sights already installed for a good price. I think I would have been equally well served with the PCR/P01 as well.

Well it wasn't a HiPoint! It's a sweet choice man and congrats.

TheChunkNorris
11-29-15, 00:51

Well it wasn't a HiPoint! It's a sweet choice man and congrats.