PDA

View Full Version : Armor Purchase Question

Willieboy
11-16-15, 16:25
I am ready to buy some armor. I have looked at AR500 Level IV as well as Velocity Systems and Bullet Proof Me offerings. Is it all the same in terms of quality and should I focus only on price, or are there differences in quality?

Thanks in advance.

Inkslinger
11-16-15, 17:19
Check out these lvl 3+. There's a video on here somewhere of them stopping m193 at 3000fps.

http://www.thetargetman.com/product/spartan-armaply-atc-level-iii-extreme-lightweight-steel-core-body-armor/

Here's the thread
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=175535

ex95B10
11-16-15, 17:59
Here's another option from Amour Wear (https://armour-wear.com/shop/all/hard-plates/hard-plate-10-x-12-alum-level-4-stand-alone/) that's not too bad on the wallet and they only have a 3 week lead time.

ggammell
11-16-15, 20:06
I don't think you can put Velocity Systems in the same category as the other AR500 vendors.

I have shot through AR500 with hot 5.56. That's enough for me to say hell no. If I'm going to wear plates, I'm going with ceramic.

There are a lot of threads about armor on here you should read through. They will answer your questions, increase you knowledge and ask more questions.

Willieboy
11-16-15, 20:29
I don't think you can put Velocity Systems in the same category as the other AR500 vendors.

I have shot through AR500 with hot 5.56. That's enough for me to say hell no. If I'm going to wear plates, I'm going with ceramic.

There are a lot of threads about armor on here you should read through. They will answer your questions, increase you knowledge and ask more questions.

By this, do you mean Velocity Systems is a good brand, or a lesser brand?

Thanks.

ggammell
11-16-15, 20:35
By this, do you mean Velocity Systems is a good brand, or a lesser brand?

Thanks.

Better.

ggammell
11-16-15, 20:37
Now those sites might sell top notch steel but I beleive that ceramic is better. That's me. So before comparing companies, compare the types of product they sell.

malstew123
11-16-15, 20:48
Do some research on what's out there, the levels of protection, and look at some of the companies' reputations. There is some good stuff on the forum already (see the sticky about correct wear/positioning of the plates) Then determine the most likely threat and what you're prepared to spend. Is it M193? M855? 30-06? 7.62 x 39 API? ect...
I would get ceramic plates. There are some great options out there, I got a set of triple curve Velocity ICW Lvl III/IV plates and soft armor backers that are great, and preferred, comfort wise, over SAPI's (Another viable option as long as they are from a credible retailer and not stolen and sold via ebay...never a good idea) I don't know what experience you have wearing this stuff, its not comfortable, so I would by the lightest triple curve plate you can afford that meets your desired protection level.

Willieboy
11-17-15, 10:37
Do some research on what's out there, the levels of protection, and look at some of the companies' reputations. There is some good stuff on the forum already (see the sticky about correct wear/positioning of the plates) Then determine the most likely threat and what you're prepared to spend. Is it M193? M855? 30-06? 7.62 x 39 API? ect...
I would get ceramic plates. There are some great options out there, I got a set of triple curve Velocity ICW Lvl III/IV plates and soft armor backers that are great, and preferred, comfort wise, over SAPI's (Another viable option as long as they are from a credible retailer and not stolen and sold via ebay...never a good idea) I don't know what experience you have wearing this stuff, its not comfortable, so I would by the lightest triple curve plate you can afford that meets your desired protection level.

Thanks guys.

Wake27
11-17-15, 13:01
I think Velocity is kind of the gold standard to measure others against. I have a set from SKD being delivered today hopefully. $285 each plus 15% off is pretty solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKGuns
11-17-15, 13:32
I went with 10x12, SAPI cut, ceramic, level IV from bulletproofme.

I've not yet been shot and hope not to, so I can't comment on performance. Plenty of YouTube tests indicate they out perform their specs.

I pretty much got them just in case.

lymanbishop
11-19-15, 14:58
I am a mechanical engineer that has been in the armor industry for over 10 years and I can tell you without a doubt that if you want good armor you need a ceramic / (high quality Dyneema or Honeywell) polymer composite. Its the best combination of weight and protection. A Level IV composite plate will run from 5-8 lbs, depending on size, and will cost a good bit more than steel, but is worth every penny. Hesco makes the best plates Ive seen yet using lightweight polymer in combination with high grade ceramic. They pad the plates on the inside for comfort / back face deformation control, and the price is fair. There are lots of distributors out there that sell them including myself. Feel free to message me with specific questions about anything armor related. I am happy to provide advice without trying to sell you on my stuff.

ex95B10
11-19-15, 18:07
Feel free to message me with specific questions about anything armor related. I am happy to provide advice without trying to sell you on my stuff.
I can't find anything online about Hesco other than possibly being a military provider of barriers.
Do you have any websites with additional info?

lymanbishop
11-20-15, 12:53
I can't find anything online about Hesco other than possibly being a military provider of barriers.
Do you have any websites with additional info?

www.hescoarmor.com They only sell to their distributors but there is good info on the site. You can buy them from me at www.hoplitearmor.com 855-ARMOR-01