PDA

View Full Version : Help with a decision

reed88
11-16-15, 21:17
Hello all I am new member, long time looker. So this will be my first post and I really could use the help with a decision I am trying to make. I like to plan months ahead of time for my gun purchases both to save the money up (semi-poor college kid) and to be sure of what I want. So here is my dilemma I have a carry gun (CZ p07) and its a dream both to shoot and carry. I also have the accompanying big brother (p09) and I plan on getting mags, ammo, and some gun-smithing done to both, cajun gun works, but I have been looking and some developments have come to light that have made me desire to have a beretta 92 series of guns and after extensive research, and I mean extensive, and hours of watching youtube reviews, and an inability to find this topic on any of the forums I joined M4carbine.net to ask this question exclusively.

I would like suggestions about a handgun to choose. I have it down to the Wilson Beretta and the new M9A3 both have all the requirements I was looking for good coatings, changeable sights, de-cocker option, d springs, and three mags a piece so on and so forth.

So I would like opinions, input, thought, whatever on these two variations from those that have held both (I cannot find a vertec so I wouldn't know it that would be a plus or not in regards to the A3).

Thanks, reed88

Firefly
11-16-15, 21:36
The default answer is Glock 17/19, mags, ammo and legit training.

Beretta isn't a bad gun but you'll find as you mature as a shooter that people gravitate towards striker firer DAO pistols for a reason.

Beretta is interesting but a product of its time. The slide mount safety being an ergo issue. But if you just really want a Beretta pretty much any will do. I'd get a G variant de-cock only if I were restricting myself to Beretta

cop1211
11-16-15, 21:44
I'd go HK VP9.

crusader377
11-16-15, 22:30
I voted for the Wilson Combat 92. I had a chance to handle one and it is an outstanding buy at $1200. It is truly a custom handgun and you would probably have to spend close to $2000 to get something comparable in the M1911 world. The M9A3 is a nice gun but at $900+ it is approaching the price of the Beretta 92G-SD and the Wilson Combat which both I think are more desirable.

Firefly's point is a very good one, although I would argue that although the Beretta and Glock are both very good service pistols they are in fact very different guns. Although Glocks were never my thing I do appreciate them for what they are and I own both the Beretta 92 and the M&P 9 which is S&Ws competitor to the Glock. Between the two, the Beretta is the nicer gun in overall build quality, fit and finish, etc.. It is a gun that you really take pride an owning and is a pistol that one would take pride in passing down to your kids. The S&W M&P or Glock on the other hand is a more efficient gun but has a more tool like quality. Its a gun that you really don't care if it gets scratched or scuffed up. I would almost equate them to watches with the Glock being a good quartz watch and the Beretta is an automatic. A quartz watch can tell time more efficiently than any automatic but even a good quartz which is not going to have the same emotion appeal as an automatic watch.

reed88
11-16-15, 23:39
I didn't think it would take long after posting for the recommendation of glock to come up :). But no thanks the ammunition and training sure taking care of the later this summer when schools out. However I'm not a typical college student and have had a glock 22,23,27 got rid of .40 then got myself a 30,36 .45 got a little pricey with the last few panick's our country has seen so went with gen 3&4 19 as well as gen 3&4 26. Gave up the glocks all together not bad guns at all never had a problem but they just didn't float my boat, to each their own. Went on to a sig mk 226 mk 25 threaded barrel not a bad gun just not fun for the lady of the house.

Went back to striker-fired one more time with the p320, it was good, it really was but it didn't have the near perfect, for me, ergos of my p07 which I find to be the perfect gun

Cop1211

Thanks for the suggestion I've held it and it was comfy but I just can't get around how people think it's the greatest carry ever then complain a glock 17 is to much gun when they are practically same size and the HK is two rounds. Why its compared to "compact" guns I'll never know.

reed88
11-16-15, 23:43
Did you get a chance to rack the slide? I know that coming from an introduction to firearms from revolvers years ago the first handgun I ever bought myself was a glock 23 about 8 years ago I thought it was all good until I got the taste for comfort and the glide vs crunch of an all metal well made gun with a mk 25. Also if you were able how's the trigger?

KCBRUIN
11-17-15, 04:09
p07 which I find to be the perfect gun

Have you looked at the Sphinx SDP? A more accurate more comfortable to hold P07. I can't see why if the P07 is your perfect gun you'd be going Beretta. The Sphinx should cover the expensive custom urges.

ralph
11-17-15, 09:00
Of the two Beretta's It would be a difficult choice, If you planning on getting a suppressor then go with the M9A3, if not go with the Wilson. I have a Beretta Inox Vertec, I love the grip compared to a 92, IMO it's much better. So far, I've changed the trigger (for a all steel Beretta trigger) swapped hammers and installed a EliteII hammer (also from Beretta USA) and installed a Wilson 16# hammer spring. At some point I plan on sending the slide in to Wilson for a conversion to a "G" I don't consider these a by product of their time, and wouldn't have a problem carrying one. Like anything else practice is the key, one thing I do like it that the Beretta shoots almost as flat as a Glock, And with the parts I installed the DA/SA trigger pulls are quite manageable. That, and CDNN is selling Mec-Gar 18rnd Beretta mags for $16.99 (I have 5, and they WORK) How can you go wrong?

I guess another way to figure out what you want is by looking at what either of them offer.
Beretta M9A3;
Threaded barrel
Ability to change to a "G" by the end user (how easy or difficult this actually is I don't know)
Ability to change grip from Vertec style to 92 style, by simply changing grip inserts
Removable sights
Beveled mag well
Light rail

Wilson 92G Brig Tac
Virtually a custom built gun, tighter tolerances on barrel, slide, frame, fit
Already converted to G
Beveled mag well
Has Brig slide, heavier ,made to withstand a steady diet of +p rounds, Although I've haven't heard of anyone having problems with +p and regular 92 slide (ETA: the downside to this as I understand is, that standard 92 holsters won't fit as the Brig slide is wider)
Has Wilson sights also removable
Not sure on this, but, I believe they come with trigger work already done, with Wilson SRT installed.(ETA; checked Wilson's site no, they don't come with trigger work, although it's available as a option)
Checkering (not just horizonal grooves) on front strap.
Light rail
Hmmm, Flip a coin, you're a winner either way...

reed88
11-17-15, 09:48
Thanks I've looked at the Sphinx line and the seem nice but I just don't find them as good looking as the beretta. I am going a lot by looks here and to me it just dosent have that Italian beauty to it.

Plus growing up you always see that gun everywhere and I was just looking to get the best example of it.

ramairthree
11-17-15, 10:14
I am not sure by what is meant in the recommendation that people gravitate to striker fired as they mature as a shooter.

Depending on age,
What I typically see is:
Start out on single action, go to da/sa, go to striker fired, return to sa or da/sa

Start out out on da/sa, go to striker fired, return to da/sa or go to sa

Start out on striker fired, go to da/sa or sa

Background will play a roll.

Handguns are very personal choices.

A stock Glock pistol is not exactly the newest design on the block either, keep that in mind when calling other designs old.

Firefly
11-17-15, 11:01
I dunno. I started out with a DAO heavy trigger as my first duty. An old Smith .45. I had a DA/SA Sig as a hold out.

Now, I use Glock. It does the same thing every time. With that first DA pull, you better really have a good consistent follow through.

Not discounting your experiences, but I've, personally, not known many people who voluntarily elected to go back to a DA/SA. Most got some kind of a Glock/XD/M&P or a 1911. The Sigs got kinda relegated to "I have this old gun".

People should be familiar with DA/SA, but I would sooner have a striker pistol. The triggers are usually 'mushy' but consistent.

I will say that the SA on a Sig cannot be beat but not worth all the extra effort of DA, Decock blah.

I wish I'd kept that VP9 and will likely get another one.

But I agree, well versed people do tend to like a SAO handgun.
A Glock is a work gun, a 1911 is a lifestyle gun.

crusader377
11-17-15, 12:36
I am not sure by what is meant in the recommendation that people gravitate to striker fired as they mature as a shooter.

Depending on age,
What I typically see is:
Start out on single action, go to da/sa, go to striker fired, return to sa or da/sa

Start out out on da/sa, go to striker fired, return to da/sa or go to sa

Start out on striker fired, go to da/sa or sa

Background will play a roll.

Handguns are very personal choices.

A stock Glock pistol is not exactly the newest design on the block either, keep that in mind when calling other designs old.

Agree with you completely. For myself, I started nearly 20 years ago with a Beretta 92FS then I gravitated to M1911(SA) and CZ-75 (DA/SA but with manual of arms more similar to a single action). After that went towards the striker fired with the M&P series (Full size and Shield). Although striker fire guns are great logical choices and offer a great value, I find them boring and tool like. Recently I have gone full circle and really enjoying the Beretta and the CZ again and strongly considering picking up either another Beretta or CZ PCR/P01 (DA/SA).

ralph
11-17-15, 14:56
I'd also add that time spent learning a DA/SA pistol will make you a better shooter, especially if you decide to go back to a striker-fired gun. Reason being, DA/SA guns teach trigger control. When you get to the point you can pick up a DA/SA gun and make your first shot in DA, cold and hit what you're aiming at, then you've accomplished something. I'm working towards that goal. There's no real downside to learning how to run a DA/SA gun.

reed88
11-17-15, 15:06
I understand completely the learning fun in learning the gun. That's one of the main reasons I transitioned,boredom, I spend a lot of time working the transition shot aka the second trigger press in rapid fire at some local matches. That's the other reason I was looking at these two because I feel as though I want a sexy gun now that can still run.

Yes striker fired guns are easier to Lear but I would say da/sa guns are more fun/challenging to learn.

Sam
11-17-15, 15:49
To the original poster:

I don't know what your shooting skill is like but shoot and carry what you shoot best at this time. You said you're a semi poor college student. Each of your "want" guns the Brig Tac and M9A3 are between $900 and $1200. I don't know about you, when I was a college student, between part time work, grants and loans, those were the only income I had. Barely enough for rent, gas, food, books and most of all tuition. Get those upper end Beretta later when you're no longer a "semi poor" college student. BTW, I had a Brig Tac and a safe full of custom 1911s, my favorite carry gun is a CZ P07. Good luck and stay safe.

ralph
11-17-15, 20:34
In the vein of the above post..OP, you could consider a plain-Jane 92fs...Grant at G&R has them for $500 NIB, Not the Brig Tac, or the M9A3, you want, but it could scratch that Beretta itch for a lot less $$$ Down the road drop in a Beretta steel trigger, EliteII hammer, and a WC 16# hammer spring, and you'd have a nice little shooter...

reed88
11-17-15, 21:46
I appreciate the concern about the semi poor but I meant it as not really a poor college student. I was a coal miner for many years and have the appropriate disposable income for these two options. I get one special gun a year at tax time as a late Christmas present for my wife and myself, one that we both agree on, last year it was a tavor in my od, these year we are torn between these two. Hence why I'm here for the internets breadth of the wisdom.

MountainRaven
11-17-15, 22:34
I'd go with the M9A3. Should fit in holsters designed for the M9A1. And there are a lot more holsters out there for M9A1s than for 92G-SDs. And finding holsters for the 92G-SD will drive you insane. That's part of why I ended up selling mine.

I'd also add that time spent learning a DA/SA pistol will make you a better shooter, especially if you decide to go back to a striker-fired gun. Reason being, DA/SA guns teach trigger control. When you get to the point you can pick up a DA/SA gun and make your first shot in DA, cold and hit what you're aiming at, then you've accomplished something. I'm working towards that goal. There's no real downside to learning how to run a DA/SA gun.

This mirror's my experience: Shooting a DA/SA has significantly improved my trigger control on everything else. And I shoot the DA/SAs pretty well, too.

teutonicpolymer
11-18-15, 06:36
I am not a Beretta fan and I still think the frame safety/decocker is weird

Since this is for you and your wife and you are set on these two then I'd get the m9a3 if it is being suppressed, or the Wilson if you want a prettier gun

If you want something similar then get a fullsize sphinx when they hit shelves

If you want something different look at the striker guns like the VP9 and 320

Have you looked at the Sphinx SDP? A more accurate more comfortable to hold P07. I can't see why if the P07 is your perfect gun you'd be going Beretta. The Sphinx should cover the expensive custom urges.

Not sure if the sphinx is actually more accurate since the p09 has been demonstrated to be capable of pretty crazy accuracy

HKGuns
11-18-15, 08:06
Wilson Combat version, they are nice pistols and the trigger work is done well.

ralph
11-18-15, 08:23
I appreciate the concern about the semi poor but I meant it as not really a poor college student. I was a coal miner for many years and have the appropriate disposable income for these two options. I get one special gun a year at tax time as a late Christmas present for my wife and myself, one that we both agree on, last year it was a tavor in my od, these year we are torn between these two. Hence why I'm here for the internets breadth of the wisdom.

Well, In that case, back to what I said before.. flip a coin, you're a winner either way..