PDA

View Full Version : 20" vs 18.5" for Tactical 870?

M4Fundi
11-17-15, 05:55
Any strong opinions on 20 vs 18.5?

I have had several people tell me that the reduced 1.5" of a 18.5 makes a big difference to how the shotgun handles indoors.... but you lose 1 round...

18.5" and 7 rds (2rd Extension Tube)
or
20" and 8 rds (3rd Extension Tube)

Which would you choose and why?

I've noticed almost all the Tactical Shotgun Companies only seem to make mag tubes in 1 or 2 shot extension tubes and not 3 shot extension.

Shao
11-17-15, 06:08
I would say 18" if you can find one. One of my older Expresses has an 18" barrel, Nordic Comp + 2 with XL cap, Vang Comp follower and Wolff XP 6-7 round mag spring. The mag extension sits about 1/4" back from the barrel and I'm able to load seven 2.75" shells in the tube (yes, 7+1). It's a tight fit but they do fit... If it had a 20" barrel, I couldn't hold another shell in the tube without the extension extending beyond the barrel. So... If you don't mind the reduced handling characteristics or having your mag extension sticking out past your barrel, then a 20" could work, but I would go with a similar setup as mine (obviously, that's why I set it up that way). I will add that it took a lot of experimentation and money to figure out how to get seven in the tube with an 18" barrel without any "underhang".

GH41
11-17-15, 09:35
"Which would you choose and why"

If my sole purpose was home defense or CQB I would run a 14" barrel but if I already had a 20 I wouldn't buy an 18 for an inch and a half. I personally run a 21" on my all purpose rig. I wouldn't give up the ventilated rib for 2 1/2" of length but the shotgun isn't my go to home defense weapon.

Tzook
11-17-15, 14:56
"Which would you choose and why"

If my sole purpose was home defense or CQB I would run a 14" barrel but if I already had a 20 I wouldn't buy an 18 for an inch and a half. I personally run a 21" on my all purpose rig. I wouldn't give up the ventilated rib for 2 1/2" of length but the shotgun isn't my go to home defense weapon.

Yup. No reason to sell and buy another to gain an inch and a half, but if you're looking to purchase and don't own either I would personally go 18.5 or if you can find one, 18. Or you can always make your own.....

M4Fundi
11-17-15, 15:09
I have a 870P with a 20" and Remmy 7 shot tube... it feels a bit long, but I hate giving up a round... I'm going to have sights replaced and put better sights on it and figured I'd decide if I wanna chop it to 18ish and get another mag tube or leave it as is...

Does the extra 1.5 inches help with distance accuracy with slugs? This thing is dead nuts accurate with Remington Sluggers!

austinN4
11-17-15, 15:42
Best of both worlds - get one of the 18.5" Mossberg 590A1s:
#51411 - 18.5" - 5+1 - Traditional stock
#51417 - 18.5" - 5+1 - Magpul stock set

Then put a S&J Hardware 2 round extension on it (fits flush with barrel, but will not work with 500s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUTZv_0v0WM

Now you have a 18.5" gun with a 7+1 tube!

26 Inf
11-17-15, 17:39
I have a 870P with a 20" and Remmy 7 shot tube... it feels a bit long, but I hate giving up a round... I'm going to have sights replaced and put better sights on it and figured I'd decide if I wanna chop it to 18ish and get another mag tube or leave it as is...

Does the extra 1.5 inches help with distance accuracy with slugs? This thing is dead nuts accurate with Remington Sluggers!

If shooting slugs is important to you I'd leave it at 20 inches -the barrel may not shoot slugs as accurately after the chop job.

What kind of sights are you putting on it?

M4Fundi
11-17-15, 18:16
I'm going with the Nighthawk Custom's FO front and LPA-like rear. Just figured since they are going to send barrel to Hans Vang for a Vang Comp job that they would make sure it shot well after the barrel got shortened... but I hear you that thought has crossed my mind.

U&A
11-20-15, 14:19
I prefer the 20". if I could do it again I would get the 20" a 2nd time. if I had a smaller/less spacious house I would probably get the 18" or smaller.

jbjh
11-20-15, 20:20
I'm going with the Nighthawk Custom's FO front and LPA-like rear. Just figured since they are going to send barrel to Hans Vang for a Vang Comp job that they would make sure it shot well after the barrel got shortened... but I hear you that thought has crossed my mind.

If Hans is doing the work, it'll shoot well when he gets done with it, 18.5" or 20".

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

Screwball
11-20-15, 21:08
I opt for the extra round... my bed gun is a great 20" 870 Police that I had Robar redo in NP3 Plus. Trijicon night sights and M3 weapon light covered what I wanted.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc61/Screwball216/IMG_0556.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc61/Screwball216/IMG_0557.jpg

I do have an 18.5" Mossberg 500, but that is a JIC shotgun with a pistol grip. But that is more for fun than anything else.

williejc
11-20-15, 22:24
I can offer a layman's opinion. In 1981 I worked for a large prison system and had opportunity to shoot lots of ammo through many different 870 riot guns. Some were 18 inches; some were 20 inches. For me and many others, the extra 2 inches had some advantages. We perceived the longer barrel to be quieter, and we all shot better with it using slugs and buck shot. These perceptions were highly subjective made by a small sample. My current two riot shotguns, an 870 and a 590A1, have 18 inch barrels. I would not trade either today for 20 inch versions because these two shotguns have been tested and vetted. Probably there is not much difference. Most guys can't tell you their barrel length, and some of these don't remember the brand.

M4Fundi
11-20-15, 22:31
I do notice a significant handling difference between a 16" and 14.5" M4 when room clearing, so I know the 870s I am talking about are much longer, but thought maybe the reason almost all the specialized shotgun parts gurus only make one piece heavy duty mag extensions for the 18ish" barrel lengths that there was some very quantifiable reason to have the 18 over the 20 that paralleled my M4 experiences.

I really appreciate the opinions!

Uprange41
11-20-15, 22:32
The only time you'll notice any real difference during a living room training session... When you're out doing drills, you're going to be feeding it all the time, regardless of that one extra round, and you're not going to be thinking "damn I wish I had a 20 inch, I can't hit these targets!" And for indoor work, you'll hate both just the same. So... run the 20" you already have.

If I were buying a 4+1, I'd take a 20". It does point quite nicely. If I were buying a shotgun with a flush extension, I'd take an 18", as it just feels like less weight on the end. But I wouldn't bother changing one to another.

M4Fundi
11-20-15, 22:51
[QUOTE=Inebriated;2215684]... And for indoor work, you'll hate both just the same. So... run the 20" you already have.
/QUOTE]

LOL... probably the most apodictic statement so far!

I do plan on using it as a saddle gun in bear country, so I might think about that... most of the guys carry 45-70 lever actions, but I can't use a lever action nearly as fast as I can a pump. I do like my 20" gun tho...

SDSwoll
12-23-15, 01:40

We qualify with slugs running out of 14.5" 870s at 50yds without issue. I personally have taken them out to 80yds or so in both the 14.5" and my 18" without noticing a difference in accuracy, so I wouldn't think the extra 1.5" would make a noticeable difference.

Shao
12-23-15, 07:34
Best of both worlds - get one of the 18.5" Mossberg 590A1s:
#51411 - 18.5" - 5+1 - Traditional stock
#51417 - 18.5" - 5+1 - Magpul stock set

Then put a S&J Hardware 2 round extension on it (fits flush with barrel, but will not work with 500s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUTZv_0v0WM

Now you have a 18.5" gun with a 7+1 tube!

Got you beat. My 18" 870 is a 7+1 and the extension sits behind the barrel... and yes, it is an 18" barrel.

austinN4
12-23-15, 15:33
Got you beat. My 18" 870 is a 7+1 and the extension sits behind the barrel... and yes, it is an 18" barrel.

If you are talking about the current Express Synthetic 7 Round
( http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-synthetic-7-round.aspx ), it is 6 in the mag plus 1 in the chamber, and it has a 18.5" barrel.

If you are not taking about that SG, maybe you could fill us in on the SG you are talking about and how it is configured, as in model and parts.

Shao
12-23-15, 22:42
If you are talking about the current Express Synthetic 7 Round
( http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-870-express-synthetic-7-round.aspx ), it is 6 in the mag plus 1 in the chamber, and it has a 18.5" barrel.

If you are not taking about that SG, maybe you could fill us in on the SG you are talking about and how it is configured, as in model and parts.

I already did, it was like the second post of the thread:

I would say 18" if you can find one. One of my older Expresses has an 18" barrel, Nordic Comp + 2 with XL cap, Vang Comp follower and Wolff XP 6-7 round mag spring. The mag extension sits about 1/4" back from the barrel and I'm able to load seven 2.75" shells in the tube (yes, 7+1). It's a tight fit but they do fit... If it had a 20" barrel, I couldn't hold another shell in the tube without the extension extending beyond the barrel. So... If you don't mind the reduced handling characteristics or having your mag extension sticking out past your barrel, then a 20" could work, but I would go with a similar setup as mine (obviously, that's why I set it up that way). I will add that it took a lot of experimentation and money to figure out how to get seven in the tube with an 18" barrel without any "underhang".

The Express in question was made when they were sold with machined bolts and metal trigger guards.

EDITED TO ADD: It came with an 18.5" barrel with a bead, I bought an 18" barrel from Remington with rifle sights and I did compare them. It is definitely an 18" barrel.

EDITED TO ADD: A picture I found of the 870 in question. Yes, I run an eight round side saddle. Yes, my shotgun is heavy.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/shaofutzer/IMG_5429_zps8ac06f73.jpg (http://s49.photobucket.com/user/shaofutzer/media/IMG_5429_zps8ac06f73.jpg.html)

GarrettJ
01-30-16, 09:42
We qualify with slugs running out of 14.5" 870s at 50yds without issue. I personally have taken them out to 80yds or so in both the 14.5" and my 18" without noticing a difference in accuracy, so I wouldn't think the extra 1.5" would make a noticeable difference.

Same here. I recently took a class, using a 14" 870. It's a factory barrel with a fixed modified choke, and a bead front sight. Slugs grouped as well from my gun as from the longer barreled guns.

Also, buck patterned as well. The type of buckshot (flite control vs. traditional wad) had more to do with group sizes than barrel length.

williejc
01-30-16, 20:20
Thinking back on the thread, I'm reminded that having a barrel with either improved cylinder or modified choke(in place of the almost universal cylinder barrel with zero choke)very well may be the most essential option for a defense shotgun. 80 or more years of tradition always dictated that the riot shotgun barrel be straight cylinder without any choke.

Nytcrawler93
02-02-16, 08:30
I personally prefer the 18.5 IC with a +2 factory Remington extension. It handles well, patterns well, has plenty of capacity. I had a 20" with a plus 3, it was fine too and I would not pay to swap between the two but if all were equal, I take the 18.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk