PDA

View Full Version : Help me spec out my next build.

Amay1986
11-17-15, 18:49
Need some opinions on the specs of a planned upcoming rifle build.
Caliber- Probably a 6.5mm, my gunsmith is partial to .260 Rem. but I'm considering 6.5 creedmoor as well
Action- Stiller Tac30 (I think that's their short action) or Trued Rem. 700 S/A
Barrel- Bartlien, Krieger I don't really have preference on barrel at the moment. I'm not up to snuff on all the barrel contours. Definitely Remington varmint or heavier (probably heavier)
Stock- Manners T4 or McMillan A4 or something like one of the two.
It will have a DBM bottom metal probably ptg because its worked great for me in the past
Scope bases and rings I have no clue, hoping I could get some help on that
For the scope I'm thinking a Steiner but that is definitely flexible, like most things I'm planning on haha. Plus I'm pleased with my Steiner predator scope for my coyote gun.
I'm sure I missed something but I'm sure it will be brought up.

Thanks in advance from a new guy to this whole precision rifle thing.

Mjolnir
11-17-15, 19:24
Why not an Accuracy International AT?

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

taliv
11-17-15, 19:31
if you want something cool and new, GAP's new tempest action is in stock at otmtactical.com. it's 3 lug, 60* throw, integral lug, fits in r700 stocks. if they were available in left hand, i'd already have one on the way.

make sure you can find a suitable quantity of brass before you pick your cartridge. also make sure the reamer your gunsmith has works for OAL with the magazines you plan to use. 260rem is great, but brass can be hard to find sometimes. also neck thickness varies greatly between brands of brass, so the brass you find will determine what size neck you need to cut in the chamber, which means you need to make sure you gunsmith has an appropriate reamer for your brand of brass. creedmoor is also great, but as far as i know, only available in hornady brass, which is fine but many people like other types.

don't waste money trying to fix a r700 unless you already have one that isn't being used.

what do you plan to do with the gun?

Amay1986
11-17-15, 19:38
if you want something cool and new, GAP's new tempest action is in stock at otmtactical.com. it's 3 lug, 60* throw, integral lug, fits in r700 stocks. if they were available in left hand, i'd already have one on the way.

make sure you can find a suitable quantity of brass before you pick your cartridge. also make sure the reamer your gunsmith has works for OAL with the magazines you plan to use. 260rem is great, but brass can be hard to find sometimes. also neck thickness varies greatly between brands of brass, so the brass you find will determine what size neck you need to cut in the chamber, which means you need to make sure you gunsmith has an appropriate reamer for your brand of brass. creedmoor is also great, but as far as i know, only available in hornady brass, which is fine but many people like other types.

don't waste money trying to fix a r700 unless you already have one that isn't being used.

what do you plan to do with the gun?

Mainly seeing how far I can take it out to in a few of my friend's corn fields. (I probably have about a mile or more I can shoot) I doubt I will ever shoot a match with it but you never know once I get more comfortable with the long range thing. I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy so I'd rather just go ahead and get the best or almost the best in the beginning.

Amay1986
11-17-15, 19:41
Why not an Accuracy International AT?

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Truly I'm not a big fan of their looks. Plus I want to watch my gunsmith build it.

taliv
11-17-15, 21:05
"best" depends entirely on what you're doing. your choices will determine how far you can take it out. if vital zone-sized targets at a mile is your goal, 260rem and 6.5cm are the wrong answers.

are you looking for a long range plinker or something that is 'tactical' for lack of a better word? i.e. something you'll shoot off a bench or prone, heavier is better, length and balance don't matter, glass, trigger, etc can all be optimized for that, vs something where you might need to acquire targets quickly, shoot from uncomfortable positions, get a lot of mud and dust in, and carry all day.

what targets will you shoot? what size and distance? how often will they be moving? steel only? game? zombies?
will you shoot prone? will you bring a portable bench? with front/rear rest or bags? or from field positions?

Amay1986
11-17-15, 21:21
Chances are 1,000 yards or so will probably be my maximum distance. While I want a heavy barrel I would still like to be able to possibly compete in a tactical rifle match so definitely not a benchrest gun haha. More often than not I do most of my shooting from prone with a bipod and sometimes a bag in the rear. While I want a gun that is accurate I'd like it to be semi maneuverable for positional/"practical" shooting. Attached is a pic of my current long range gun. A 700 with action work in a manners stock. While it is a good rifle for what I do, I'd like something a little nicer. And by the way thanks for the help so far taliv. 36012

taliv
11-18-15, 14:14
also on the caliber bit, i assumed you reload. if you don't, definitely go 6.5cm.

stocks
manners and mcmillan both make lots of different options in the models you listed. between the two, i like manners' construction better, but i've wound up with mcmillans and KMW sentinels for various reasons.
as far as specs, there's a dang long list just for the stock, for example, the aluminum bedding block (great choice) which manners calls a 'mini chassis', whether you want light or heavy fill, or even lead added to the butt. also, the adjustable cheek piece (get the terry cross hardware), and whether you want it to fold, and where you want flush cups, etc. (i prefer 1 right and 1 left on the forearm, 1 on the side and one on the bottom on the butt). since i use a lot of night vision, i also add the EFR or MUNSter

one of the things that made a huge difference in comfort when shooting is the cheek piece that is adjustable laterally, which helps you keep your head straighter instead of leaning over to get your eye in front of the scope. i could be wrong but i don't think mcmillan offers that.

Amay1986
11-18-15, 19:01
Yes I do reload. I've kinda decided on manners. Seems like it's a little more bang for your buck. Plus I'm very pleased with my t4 I have on my .308. But this time I will definitely go adjustable for sure.

waveslayer
11-19-15, 21:14
go 6.5 Creedmoor, ammo is easier to find and it's easy to reload and find components for it.

Amay1986
11-20-15, 06:05
go 6.5 Creedmoor, ammo is easier to find and it's easy to reload and find components for it.

6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Rem have close to the same ballistics correct? Isn't the creedmoor just traveling a little faster?

waveslayer
11-20-15, 08:08
6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Rem have close to the same ballistics correct? Isn't the creedmoor just traveling a little faster?
I am not 100% sure, don't have a .260. I think the .260 is a tad faster. the 6.5 Creedmoor has a big push from Hornady so finding ammo for it is a lot easier.

Amay1986
11-20-15, 08:30
I am not 100% sure, don't have a .260. I think the .260 is a tad faster. the 6.5 Creedmoor has a big push from Hornady so finding ammo for it is a lot easier.
The ease of finding ammo will be a plus for me. I reload but sometimes don't have time to. And from what I've seen 6.5 Creedmoor is a little cheaper than 260 at my local shop.

waveslayer
11-20-15, 09:33
The ease of finding ammo will be a plus for me. I reload but sometimes don't have time to. And from what I've seen 6.5 Creedmoor is a little cheaper than 260 at my local shop.
I have some 140 Amax on hand, loaded ammo. it shoots a sub .5" MOA all day long. my reloads shoot the same. so that's nice to know, plus same zero.

if I want to save money then I roll my own