PDA

View Full Version : New Colt 6920 with wiggle problem

TriumphRat675
08-04-08, 23:02
Great forum - i've learned a lot lurking over the fast few weeks. Based on info from several different sources I decided to purchase a Colt 6920 and picked one up over the weekend. While checking it out in the gun store i didn't notice any problems but after I got it home and took it apart for cleaning I found some fit issues:

1) the rear lower receiver pin hole is apparently egg shaped, top to bottom. When I press down on the upper I can see the rear pin moving up and down.

2) the rear upper receiver pin hole is visibly egg shaped, front to rear.

3) the upper and lower do not fit together well. when the rifle is held sideways to the light I can see a thin line of light in between the upper and lower. This is especially apparent near the rear of the receiver above the rear takedown pin where the receivers begin curving upwards toward the charging handle. a piece of paper will easily fit between the upper and lower receivers where the bolt carrier meets the buffer.

The upshot of this is there is noticeable slop between the rifle receivers, both up and down and from side to side. it is especially apparent when using a forward grip attached to a DD Omega rail, and this is my excuse for not picking up on it in the store.

Based on searches on this forum, the wiggle issue seems to be normal on weapons that have been well loved (read: used). being able to see daylight between the receivers doesn't necessarily bother me - after all, my Glock works just fine and I can stick my hand between the slide and receiver. But, I do find these issues pretty annoying after spending $1299 on a new rifle (and it is new. it came in a sealed box with all accessories from a reputable dealer in Dallas). Maybe I just want to complain, but I suppose i have a few questions:

1. how normal is this on a new rifle, especially a Colt?

2. can I expect any function or reliability issues? I wouldn't really think so, but if I can easily slip a piece of paper between the upper and lower I assume grit and crud can get in there.

3. should i throw a screaming hissy fit and demand that someone (maybe the AR15 fairy?) take it back or fix it? On one hand I do intend this gun to see some relatively heavy use, but on the other I would like to be the one to wear it out.

Before telling me to suck it up, please know that I'm snake-bit when it comes to firearms and am getting increasingly fed up. i've sent at least three back to the factory for repairs, one of those needs to go back, and damned if there's yet another one on my counter with a UPS label on it, ready to get shipped off. So i might just throw a hissy fit anyway. I appreciate any responses.

Evan_O
08-05-08, 00:21
aful-
I'm by no means an expert but I'll give you my 0.02 and then someone more knowledge will be along shortly...

As far as the egg shaped pin hole, well I've never seen this before but then again I've never looked that closely at any of my Colts. If it works and you're going to use it, I'm not to sure I'd be that worried about it (Colt does have a very good warranty).

The slop between the upper and lower on my 6920's is there. You can see a little light come through on each one of them. Again, I shoot them and have never had a problem with funtion and they are way more accurate than I am. These rifles also ride around in a rack in my patrol car so they get beat on a little.

My opinion, go shoot it and see how it does. If you run into problems then I would bitch...

Hope this tides you over until someone with more knowledge comes along.

rob_s
08-05-08, 09:10
Shoot it. A lot.

Come back and let us know how it goes.

Failure2Stop
08-05-08, 10:56
Some play between the upper and lower is not only common, it's pretty much the rule. Excessive play is not really a good thing, but your description of a "thin line of light" is well within what I would consider to be acceptable.

If it really bothers you you can stick one of those AccuWedge things in it. It isn't going to do anything differently mechanically or operationally, but there aren't any problems there anyway.

As far as grit and crud entering the system- there are much bigger holes in the gun than the little gap between the upper and lower. Pretty much a non-issue. It takes a whole lot of crap in the FCG to induce a stoppage.

markm
08-05-08, 11:06
As far as grit and crud entering the system- there are much bigger holes in the gun than the little gap between the upper and lower. Pretty much a non-issue. It takes a whole lot of crap in the FCG to induce a stoppage.

That was going to be my point exactly.

People too often have an unrealistic expectation of how the AR upper an lowers should FUSE together when the takedown pin is pushed home.

TheActivePatriot
08-05-08, 12:52
+1 to it's normal

If it really bothers you though, degrease the lower, put a VERY thin coat of grease on the upper where it contacts the lower to serve as a release agent, apply a thin line of black silicone to the top part of the lower where it contacts the upper, reassemble the two halves, and let it dry. When dry, trim off the excess silicone and you now have a gasket to keep any dirt from entering the FCG between the receivers.

markm
08-05-08, 13:05
When dry, trim off the excess silicone and you now have a gasket to keep any dirt from entering the FCG between the receivers.

OK! If we're going ARFCOM, I'll give my ARFCOM response..

Fill the upper and lower with JB weld, and close them together! You won't have any receiver play issues ever again!

sff70
08-05-08, 13:13
NORMAL

TheActivePatriot
08-05-08, 13:52
I just said it would keep dirt out of the receivers if that really bothered him. I never said it was a good idea. ;)

RogerinTPA
08-05-08, 17:35
I must have the "odd " one. Mine is very tight, no slop, no daylight.

TriumphRat675
08-05-08, 17:56
Fill the upper and lower with JB weld, and close them together! You won't have any receiver play issues ever again!

Ha!

Suppose it's a big +1 to unrealistic expectations. I was just concerned about possible problems I might have with it on my big kodiak bear hunt this fall. I do understand that a 10.5 inch suppressed .22lr upper is better for bears, though.

Hissy fit over. Thanks!

Blackwater
08-05-08, 18:54
If it shoots good and true, why worry. If I have any functionality issues with a firearm, it usually oes on the block for sale.

I've only sent three weapons back to the factory. A Kimber Pro/Covert, Kahr P9 and a POF 415. The POF is the only one I've not sold because of the issue. So far. ;)

strongisland
08-08-08, 13:32
I have the same gap and movement on my 6920 and it shoots like a champ. The rounds go where I aim them every time. Not one hiccup in 3500 rounds. I cant express enough how glad I am for choosing this carbine over others.

gyp_c2
08-08-08, 18:39
...damn that's a good price...
you wouldn't have any trouble selling it for that price...
Seriously, if stuff like that bothers you and there's no failure to perform, just sell it and buy something else...I'd shoot 1000 first though...If you can still sell it after a solid 1000 rds, yer' a better man than me...
I'm weak for Colts that work...
http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

boltcatch
08-14-08, 00:26
Any AR that doesn't have at least a little play there immediately makes me suspicious. I see a lot of guys at the range swearing and trying to pound fitted uppers/lowers back together.

Beat Trash
08-15-08, 15:57
A little "wiggle" is normal, alot is not.

Our Department issues Bushmasters. These guns haven't really been shot that much, compared to what the average AR shooter on this site would have shot through their guns.

These Bushmasters have a lot of wiggle. Yet I can still hit plates with these guns from the standing position out to 175 yds (the farthest we can shoot at our range).

My personally owned AR's are Colt's.

To the OP, shoot you gun some before you get too excited about it. You will most likely come from the range feeling that the "problems" you mentioned in you opening post are in fact a non-issue.