PDA

View Full Version : REC7 or Larue

dogdog
11-18-15, 09:38
I have the SCAR 16s and 17s. I am looking for a AR. No one seems to have issues with Larue. Any one running the REC 7 gen II. Or any others that stand out. I know they are not apples to apples. There is so much product out there in the AR market.

Digital_Damage
11-18-15, 09:48
I have the SCAR 16s and 17s. I am looking for a AR. No one seems to have issues with Larue. Any one running the REC 7 gen II. Or any others that stand out. I know they are not apples to apples. There is so much product out there in the AR market.

neither
SR-15 mod2 MLOK or KEYMOD

dogdog
11-18-15, 10:12
Please explain why

SteveL
11-18-15, 10:17
What's drawing you to these two options while excluding others like BCM, DD, or Sionics?

VIP3R 237
11-18-15, 10:29
I personally am not a big fan of either rifle when there are IMO better options in that price range. If you're spending $2k or more the SR15 mod2 is the way to go, or build up something yourself.

Is there a specific criteria that led you to those two choices?

TMS951
11-18-15, 10:38
Between the two, I'd pick the larue. There are many of them, one would fit my desires.

The rec7 is a blast from the past, I hadn't heard about it in so long I forgot about it. I have a piston rifle (LWRCi) and won't make that mistake again. Totally unnecessary and I prefer my DI guns. It looks nicely updated when I went to the barret site, still not my thing.

But I'd take an Mlok SR15 over anything else on the market right now. Because of the Bolt and ambi lower mostly but they also have a host of other features I want. Basically everything it has.

11-18-15, 11:00
Though I have no first hand experience with the PredatOBR, I like what it has to offer. They sell barrel/handguard kits so you can swap out to different lengths at your leisure. I think that is a nice feature to have (personal opinion).
LaRue is doing barrels in-house now so they aren't as backlogged as in the past. I think wait time for a complete build is measured in weeks/months and not years like in the past.

dogdog
11-18-15, 11:30
I went through USMC boot in the 85 with m16a1. Then had m16 a2s in the FMF. I have had DD, Colts and some off brands. Just looking for a nice premium AR. Looked at JP for a while Larue and a few others. My son is in the USMC now and they are running knights Armament.

TMS951
11-18-15, 12:19
I went through USMC boot in the 85 with m16a1. Then had m16 a2s in the FMF. I have had DD, Colts and some off brands. Just looking for a nice premium AR. Looked at JP for a while Larue and a few others. My son is in the USMC now and they are running knights Armament.

I think you're looking for the SR15. Do some searching and reading. I think you'll like what you find.

http://www.smallarmsales.com/knights-armament-sr-15-iws-e3-mod2-16-carbine-m-lok-handguard/

Renegade04
11-19-15, 08:00
Well, I am going to throw my iron into this fire. There are many fine ARs out there as many have pointed out. I am not a fanboy of any particular model. I know what is good and what is not. That said, there is no denying that the KAC SR-15 is an excellent weapon. I own one of their older SR-25s (w/ a factory Mk11 Mod 0 conversion). I also know that LaRue Tactical ARs are excellent ARs as well. Mark LaRue is heavily invested into his company, his products, and his customers. I have done business with them for 11 years now. Mark LaRue stands behind his products 100%. He will bend over backwards to make sure things are right. Their ARs are made in house right in Leander, TX. Their CS is top-notch and they are very active on another prominent forum. I would give them very serious consideration. Their ARs are well worth every penny you spend.

Tophthetank
11-19-15, 08:15
With your price point, Sr15 mod 2 14.5" (complete rifle) throw on a mams (unpinned!!).... What I would get, or still may get if I already didn't have the mod1 version of this ;)

BCM is the only other manufacturer I own and would look at in the DI AR platform.

Tophthetank
11-19-15, 08:15
With your price point, Sr15 mod 2 14.5" (complete rifle) throw on a mams (unpinned!!).... What I would get, or still may get if I already didn't have the mod1 version of this ;)

BCM is the only other manufacturer I own and would look at in the DI AR platform.

dogdog
11-19-15, 09:16
Good info thanks. There is so much product out there these days. I don't think I ever herd any thing bad about Larue. What is your opinion on the different models in 556 I am hooked on the SCAR 17 for 308.

556BlackRifle
11-19-15, 09:38
dog, my son is also a Marine. Not only did he have a KAC in basic but it was equipped with an ACOG. I was jealous. :)

I agree with the others, SR-15 all the way.

Tophthetank
11-19-15, 09:51
I have never held or shot a larue, but from what I've researched you cannot go wrong. I look at them as a precision AR, so if that's your goal then I would consider them in either 556 or 762. BUT Personally I love and would choose a KAC LPR or APC as I believe it's a better all around rifle considering WEIGHT, gas system, rail, accessories, muzzle device, suppressors etc...

If precision is not so much a concern, I would not even consider larue. Look at BCM or DD, two very reputable companies at competing price points that offer work horse guns. I love my BCM, it's my go to. If you want to get something a little more flashy, look at KAC. Everything about the gun is a work of art... gas system, rail, aesthetics, e3bolt, accessories. IMO they are worth the Premium price.

Since you already have the scar 16/17, you've got your Pistons covered... No need to look into any piston ARs. Stick with DI for that ;)

dogdog
11-19-15, 10:53
Weight is critical for any one who carried one of these in the field. Just 1 lb. I just need to decide Larue or KAC, How accurate is the KAC. Then again 14.5 pined or 16 in.

dogdog
11-19-15, 11:47
What if you through noveske in the mix.

C-grunt
11-19-15, 13:29
I would personally buy a KAC over a Larue or Noveske at that price.

Don't get me wrong. Larue and Noveske make great rifles. I had a Noveske before. It was a great rifle, but it wasn't "better" than my Colt or my BCM. It was nicer (fit, finish, etc..) but it didn't do anything better.

The KAC SR15 has actual improvements over a standard AR15 in my opinion.

TMS951
11-19-15, 14:08
What if you through noveske in the mix.

Doesn't mix. The price and features of the Noveske do not align with the price and features of the KAC or Larue.

Ultimately the Noveske guns are very simple and bring close to nothing new to the table. The stainless barrels are nice, the CHF ones are not unique. Noveske is a name with some non-forged receivers that look different. The Highest end Noveske can not justify a price over 2000$, but it is 3000$. Looking at their website acroos the board thier rifles are 600$ over the price of the competition.

Here is there M4A1 equivalent, for 2365$!. http://www.noveske.com/collections/rifles/products/gen-i-light-carbine-14-5-5-56-w-daniel-defense-ris2-handguard Same price point as the other rifles being talked about here. Its nothing other than a plain jane mil spec gun with a forged barrel and a RISII. I took a 800$ Colt 6720, and put a 400$ DD RIS II and 99$ B5 sopmod on it for a 1300$ gun that is shockingly similar. An ACT trigger, and Forged barrel do not justify 1065$ increase in price.

Conclusion- Noveske is a 600$ name for a underwhelming gun compared to todays current offerings. Sadly the Noveske of today is also not the Noveske of yesterday. However former Noveske employee's have started cool companies or gone on to work for cool companies. Those companies, like V7 weapons, are worth watching.

dogdog
11-19-15, 14:33
Ok KAC 14.5 or 16 in.

C-grunt
11-19-15, 15:42
Unless you are going to stamp it Id do 16 inch.

Tophthetank
11-19-15, 20:16
Doesn't mix. The price and features of the Noveske do not align with the price and features of the KAC or Larue.

Ultimately the Noveske guns are very simple and bring close to nothing new to the table. The stainless barrels are nice, the CHF ones are not unique. Noveske is a name with some non-forged receivers that look different. The Highest end Noveske can not justify a price over 2000$, but it is 3000$. Looking at their website acroos the board thier rifles are 600$ over the price of the competition.

Here is there M4A1 equivalent, for 2365$!. http://www.noveske.com/collections/rifles/products/gen-i-light-carbine-14-5-5-56-w-daniel-defense-ris2-handguard Same price point as the other rifles being talked about here. Its nothing other than a plain jane mil spec gun with a forged barrel and a RISII. I took a 800$ Colt 6720, and put a 400$ DD RIS II and 99$ B5 sopmod on it for a 1300$ gun that is shockingly similar. An ACT trigger, and Forged barrel do not justify 1065$ increase in price.

Conclusion- Noveske is a 600$ name for a underwhelming gun compared to todays current offerings. Sadly the Noveske of today is also not the Noveske of yesterday. However former Noveske employee's have started cool companies or gone on to work for cool companies. Those companies, like V7 weapons, are worth watching.

This is exactly why I do not suggest noveske anymore. Not to bash them but they do not bring anything unique to the table besides aesthetics and a name for a premium price... Same reason I sold my warsport lvoa, although I did love the barrel and gas system but could not justify its price.

For now I only own BCM and KAC and am more than satisfied.

Tophthetank
11-19-15, 20:19
Ok KAC 14.5 or 16 in.

14.5" complete rifle, no pin! If you get the 16" you'll look back and wish you'd just done the 14.5

LTMattyL
11-19-15, 21:22
IMO a 14.5" unpinned complete rifle is not worth the NFA hassle. If you are going to jump through the NFA hoops, get the 11.5" KAC. Otherwise get the 16".