PDA

View Full Version : How do you store magazines long term?

jdp710
08-05-08, 02:19
Hello,

I currently store all my magazines in sealed cardboard boxes with some dessicant in them but now I'm starting to wonder if the springs will rust 10 - 30 years from now.

So my question is should I be worried about rust forming on magazine springs or is it a non issue. I'd prefer not to store them in ammo cans if possible but if rust is an issue than I will.

FWIW, my magazines consist of USGI, PMAG, AK steel and bulgarian waffle and glock magazines. I don't live by the ocean either.

Thanks for any responses.

Iraqgunz
08-05-08, 08:58
You are worrying about nothing. Having said that cardboard will retain moisture before a regular steel ammo can will even with dessicant as dessicant doesn't last forever (to the best of my knoweldge). I personally keep mine in a large 40MM ammo can. Unless they are being exposed to extreme temperature variations you should be fine and I don't think rust will be an issue.

RallySoob
08-06-08, 10:36
Stored P-Mags in FireProof Safe. P-mags never creep, never deform, a must have for long term storage... not too mention they come with dust covers which add further protection

Paul45
08-06-08, 11:05
At my age, I will most likely not be alive in 20 ro 30 years -- So I keep most of mine loaded near the firearms they support! I have mags over 40 years old that work fine. Just keep them dry, lightly oiled and clean.

dogloose
08-06-08, 11:17
The effectiveness of desiccant depends on whether the environment is relatively "sealed"... otherwise the desiccant will soak up whatever moisture is able to easily enter... That means your desiccant may quickly lose its effectiveness... or need frequent monitoring/changes. Ammo cans satisfy the sealed environment criteria... so do properly configured gun safes... If the cans or safe are themselves inside a climate controlled environment (home, office, etc. as opposed to unheated/cooled garage, attic, shed) all the better.