PDA

View Full Version : Which would you prefer and why, DSA vs. Noveske......

hyrepower
08-05-08, 03:06
This is the Noveske:
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=r-lrbv-556&cat=47&page=1&search=&since=&status=

This is the DSA:
http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DSZM4GTC

I am looking for a rifle that is of very high quality, very reliable, and accurate. I want something that will stand the test of time and take a beating. This rifle is going to be my everything rifle. Everything from close quarter home defense to shooting varmint.
I am going to equip it with either a Trijicon or Aimpoint sight, a vertical grip, and light/laser combo with a switch mounted to the grip. I want the gun that if you could only own one, which would it be.

I have read a lot about how Noveske is great, but I have been hard pressed to find out much about the DSA. I know that DSA is a great unit, there just isn't much info. I have been able to pull up on them.

Thanks for the help guys.

KevinB
08-05-08, 03:43
The DSA gun appears to be POF's gun.

They have been reported to be hit and miss -- I have no hands on with them.

The only piston guns I have fired are the LWRC and the HK416, also the only ones I would own...

Personally me -- I would pick the Novekse of the two.

Jay Cunningham
08-05-08, 04:02
I vote for the Noveske.

DHC45
08-05-08, 04:08
I have the N4 Basic and love it. Only have about 200 (flawless) rounds through it, though. The iron sights were dead on when I went to sight it in. Workmanship is excellent. I'm going to order one of the Recce uppers when I get back from my current business trip.

Customer service from Noveske is also outstanding. When I first tried to research the N4 and tried to use their website's "contact us" email form, it didn't work. I found John Noveske's email on another forum he frequents and emailed him directly. He replied to a half dozen of my email questions before I asked him to forward me to his customer service so I quit tying him up. He was a pleasure to deal with, as are his customer service folks. Outstanding service and an outstanding product so far. You can't go wrong with a Noveske. Well worth the price.

Magic Sauce
08-05-08, 05:39
Never even seen the DSA, but I sure enjoy my Noveske ;)

Robb Jensen
08-05-08, 05:40
Noveske all the way.

rob_s
08-05-08, 09:09
Noveske.

Now, since you asked why...

1) I'm still not sold on the need for a piston AR. So I'm automatically biased against anything with a piston. Even if I WAS sold, I'd look to the most robust versions and the most likely companies to win the piston wars. This means, IMHO, LWRC. I see no reason to buy the betamax of the piston AR wars.

2) What's up with that extra-high rail on the DSA? What kind of optic mounts do you have to use for that? How do you get a cowitness? All the mount makers are geared towards the standard top rail height of the M4. There's no good reason to deviate from it.

3) Barrel. What kind of steel is the DSA barrel made of? Even if it is milspec, it's a 1:9 which is not something I'm interested in. Why would someone want a "hard use" gun in a hobby twist rate? And then there's the Noveske N4 barrels which are probably the absolute top of the line in chrome-lined barrels right now.

hyrepower
08-05-08, 12:18
Thanks for the input guys. Noveske it is. Why deviate from something that is tried and true.

hyrepower
08-05-08, 13:51
Damn, I called up Noveske to place an order and they are on a 4 month back order for the N4 VIS rifles. I am mad. I wish I didn't have to wait so long. They aren't even taking orders right now because they are so backed up.

rob_s
08-05-08, 13:57
you're mad? why are you mad? at who?

markm
08-05-08, 13:59
Noveske.

Now, since you asked why...

1) I'm still not sold on the need for a piston AR. So I'm automatically biased against anything with a piston.

Lord! There is hope for you!!!! :D

hyrepower
08-05-08, 14:50
I am mad I didn't buy it a few months ago when they were still easily obtainable. Now I have to wait, hence I am mad because I am impatient and want what I want NOW! I guess I am spoiled, but I am going to check with them weekly till I can place my order. They aren't even taking orders right now because they are so backed up. So they said to check back weekly until they are accepting orders again. They are on a 3-4 month back order wait list right now.

markm
08-05-08, 14:54
I am impatient and want what I want NOW!

Easy, Veruca.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/F8d88689-7ec9-42d9-99bc-e4781e274616.medium.jpg

austinN4
08-05-08, 15:13
They are on a 3-4 month back order wait list right now.
Dang! That is good news, however, for Noveske. I am glad to see his quality being recognized in the market, and also glad I got my N4 Light Carbine 2 weeks ago. :D

Todd.K
08-05-08, 19:19
Just thought I'd clarify a few things.
We have some older VIS backorders that are being filled.
When all backorders are filled we will take new orders.

We hope to catch up later this month with the 10" and 12" VIS orders. I know Vltor is working hard to increase the supply.

We seem to have some issues with our website as the Light Recce Basic with VIS should be taking orders.
Please call to place your order as we have some of the 9" VIS in stock for the Recce Basic VIS.

I apologize for not keeping up with the VIS demand but we are working on it.

seb5
08-05-08, 20:05
I voted several months ago for the Noveske. I'm glad I did. The good news is when I ordered they told me 3-4 months, and then called me in 6 weeks and said my rifle was ready! Anything custom or semi custom is going to be a wait anymore, from 1911's. to Remington 700's, to AR's, to knives. If you want the good stuff you PAY and WAIT. Good luck.

mrosamilia
08-05-08, 20:25
I am very pleased with Noveske. I ordered an N4 low profile with VIS and was told about 10 weeks. That was on 06/25/2008, I called today to see if they had received my FFL and to see if every thing was in order and was floored to hear it will ship next week. Now I just have to scramble to move funds.:D

hyrepower
08-05-08, 21:01
Well I am going to buy 2 of them. I have never been anxious to place an order, lol. Normally I get anxious to receive what I ordered, not just to place the order, LOL. Oh well I guess good things come to those who wait right. I guess this will give me time to buy my Aimpoint, Tango Down grip, and Laser/Light combo (brand undecided).