PDA

View Full Version : 1911/Glock quandary

GastonG-NoVa
11-19-15, 08:16
I have a couple nice 1911s. Unfortunately they are BBQ guns that I can't see myself tearing up.

So, I pick up a used Springfield 1911 loaded. It has Novak style sights and a ambi safety, and it is a NM serial #. I was on the lookout for a higher end Springfield, but found this one for a song. I was thinking "get the TRP and do nothing to it". Since I got this all I have been thinking about is sending it out and having it worked on. CRAP, that was not the frickin plan!!! I have only put about 200 rounds through it, using 47D mags with great results.

I start looking around at gunsmiths and "packages" they offer. It seems I am gonna have another BBQ gun! I may just go for one of the reliability packages and call it good, or I may just go buy another G19 or three. 😖

Thoughts on a gunsmith to do just a reliability job?......be nice to refinish it, as well....damn

Gary1911A1
11-19-15, 09:36
As you may know the Springfield Custom Shop offers a TRP upgrade. Since you mention you wanted a TRP that might be your best bet and your warranty would still be good.

Gary1911A1
11-19-15, 09:42
Here's a link to Springfield Custom Shop Services:http://www.springfield-armory.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/1911CustomWorksheet_1.pdf

ggammell
11-19-15, 13:07
Have you noticed it NEEDS a reliability job?

crusader377
11-19-15, 13:55
I have a couple nice 1911s. Unfortunately they are BBQ guns that I can't see myself tearing up.

So, I pick up a used Springfield 1911 loaded. It has Novak style sights and a ambi safety, and it is a NM serial #. I was on the lookout for a higher end Springfield, but found this one for a song. I was thinking "get the TRP and do nothing to it". Since I got this all I have been thinking about is sending it out and having it worked on. CRAP, that was not the frickin plan!!! I have only put about 200 rounds through it, using 47D mags with great results.

I start looking around at gunsmiths and "packages" they offer. It seems I am gonna have another BBQ gun! I may just go for one of the reliability packages and call it good, or I may just go buy another G19 or three. ��

Thoughts on a gunsmith to do just a reliability job?......be nice to refinish it, as well....damn

I have a stock Springfield Loaded that has been very reliable. I would put another 200-300 rounds thru it and if it doesn't jam, I think you can safely say it is a reliable pistol and run with it.

Hwikek
11-19-15, 15:02
I hear Mars does a good job of gun smithing on 1911s. There is a thread in the 1911 forum about their work. Have you also considered trying a VP9 or PPQ? Those will probably shoot "more" like a 1911 than a Glock and there is even a PPQ in .45 ACP with a 1911 style mag release. I'm not sure if it's available right now but it is an option.

GastonG-NoVa
11-19-15, 15:25
No PPQ for me. Thx though. I would like to get rid of any MIM parts.

Hwikek
11-19-15, 15:47
Why don't you want the PPQ? The Mars Springfield reliability package is $295 and apparently includes flaring the ejection port.

sevin8nin
11-19-15, 17:24
I'm in a boat right next to yours. I've got 1 1911 now, and it's a Springfield Custom shop gun that is exactly how I want it, plus 100% reliable and I don't mind beating it up.
I've got a Glock 17 with a nice grip job on it from Cold Bore Customs but I keep looking at smiths for slide milling and keep coming up with this list of work I want done. Then I think I'd like to try an RMR and pretty soon it's like another $1000. Then I think; well just buy another Glock, and just do sights and stippling then modify the shit out of this 17.
Then I thought; shit, just buy a VP9 and be done with it.

I say if you're happy with the gun, send it to SACS for the features you wish it had (within reason) and reliability check, then shoot the pics out of it.

maca1
11-19-15, 18:06
Highly recommend Karl Sokol for 1911 work.

After years of searching and trying everything under the sun, including a short romance with a VP9, my go-to is still a glock 17, but now with an RMR, carried in an IWB Raven phantom.

opngrnd
11-19-15, 19:29
Sounds like you already have what you need, e.g. some nice 1911s and at least one G19. I'd do more of what you want.

GastonG-NoVa
11-19-15, 20:41
I have a ton. Life is good.

I am gonna look around and spend no more than $700-800 on gun smithing. Damn that is two blue label Glocks!!! Did I just talk myself out of it!

<-----------unsure.

I will have to impulse gunsmith! Haha

Tequila45
11-20-15, 05:21

What do you mean by tear up? Not exactly sure what you would be using this piece for but why not "tear it up", decide if it's reliable then later on down the road send it out to get cleaned up. That's if it even needs it. You already stated you have other nice 1911's, make the springfield your beater if it's reliable.

R0CKETMAN
11-20-15, 06:24
A. sell it and buy a mil spec or gi sans fcs. Off to sacs for fcg, checker, sights, beaver, ts, sights, refinish

B. Sell it and buy trp

C. Drive it as is. Sounds like you have no "reliability" issues.

D. Sell it, barbecues, and get one 1911 exactly as you would envision.

teutonicpolymer
11-22-15, 13:29
I see literally no reason to carry a 1911 with all the other options available now, but that is just my opinion, and everyone has some of those.

Edit: I take back what I said, I'd carry something like a DW CCO or ECO if I had one and it proved reliable. I still probably wouldn't carry a full size.