PDA

View Full Version : Want to Replace My Eotech, It's Not Bright Enough

Hwikek
11-19-15, 17:44
I'm having problems with my Eotech. The sight is functioning at what I think is 100% but it is complete washed out on all but a black bullseye on midday. The white paper around the bullseye completely washes out the reticle. I have tried putting in fresh batteries but that did not solve the problem. Is there a red dot out there that is bright enough for me to see it during the day under these circumstances? If not I will just use my iron sights during the day.

My current Eotech is a 552 that I got used from a member here. The sight has energizer lithium batteries in it. I don't know when it's from or anything else about it. I haven't ever had a problem with it before but that was also during cloudier days.

Leaveammoforme
11-19-15, 17:50
Step 1: Send in the 552.

Step 2: Purchase Aimpoint PRO

Step 3: When 552 comes back, keep it as a backup.

Hwikek
11-19-15, 17:54
Why would I send the sight in? I don't think it is even still under warranty since they don't make the 552 anymore. I don't want to have both sights as I'd rather just get the money back instead of having a 552 and an aimpoint. Is the aco just as bright? I've seen that sight on sale for $300 in town.

Leaveammoforme
11-19-15, 18:33
Just how much do you plan selling a 552 thats not working correctly for?

At least give them a call. They are known for fixing out of warranty issues for free.

As for the $300 ACO, I'd be cautious unless it is from a vetted source. Have never looked through an ACO so I couldn't give you a brightness comparison. I imagine it's plenty bright.

A PRO is only a few bucks more to get a proven RDS.

Hwikek
11-19-15, 18:54
It is working I never said it doesn't work. What I said was that it is not bright enough to be seen on white paper at midday around 12-1 during late August on a sunny day.

I found it at a Sportsman's Warehouse a few weeks ago. I don't know if the sale is still on going.

Aren't the PRO and ACO basically the same except for battery life, night bison compatibility, and water resistance?

Ryno12
11-19-15, 19:00
Step 1: Send in the 552.

Step 2: Purchase Aimpoint PRO

Step 3: When 552 comes back, keep it as a backup.

I agree.

If it's not bright enough, there's something wrong with it. Call Eotech & send it in.

Hwikek
11-19-15, 19:48
Okay, I just thought it was normal but maybe it is just the optic. It has been pretty good about battery life though as I've had it about a year now and it has never needed to have them changed but I was wondering if that was the cause of my issue so I switched them out for some fresh ones.

Tomac
11-20-15, 07:20
Unfortunately, Eotechs are known for delaminating HUD's and loss of nitrogen purge, either could cause the symptoms you've reported. If the reticle is dim across the entire window then my guess is loss of nitrogen purge, if dim in selected areas only then delaminating HUD.
Tomac

SteveL
11-20-15, 10:05
There's definitely a problem with the Eotech. Even on the brightest day you shouldn't need it turned up as bright as it will go. At least contact them and see what they say.

waveslayer
11-20-15, 11:03
I had a similar issue. it ended up being the little connector to the battery and adjustment button. check the battery connectors first

sua175
11-20-15, 11:10
Gas just needs to be recharged, it will cost like 30 bucks. Remember eotech uses lasers which require gas, aim points have diodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
11-20-15, 11:49
EOTech usually doesn't charge for repairs.

Hwikek
11-20-15, 12:53
When I get back home in December I will see if it can't just be serviced by Eotech. I didn't have high expectations going in with the sight but so far it has been okay with no issues with the zero despite not being loctited down yet.

sbrown3
12-30-15, 01:33
I had the same problem, my Eotech seemed fine but was really dim. I called Eotech and they said they would fix it for free even though it was out of warranty, I just had to pay to ship it. About 2 weeks later I got it back and it was fully refurbished and was very bright. Great customer service!

Ryno12
12-30-15, 06:32
I'm curious what the turnaround time will be now with this whole mess going on, along with any other impacts it may have on repair work.

Auto426
12-30-15, 11:01
I'm having a similar problem with my Eotech XPS2 that I purchased a couple of years ago. I love the overall design and reticle that the sight offers, but even with the minimal use I've given the sight it's developed a delaminating issue that causes the reticle to dim and blur in the middle of the sight window.

I'm considering returning it for the refund as the rifle that it's mounted to is a spar and sees little use. But I like the sight enough that I may just send it in for a warranty work.

Hwikek
01-01-16, 03:11
I've been unable to send it back as of late as I'm torn between getting it fixed and just getting a refund and using the money for something else. The sight has grown on me as it is much faster than irons even if it is a little less accurate. Part of what is holding me back on the refund is that Eotech has apparently failed to receive a number of the devices that others sent in due to the package volume. I'd hate to be in the hole $350 on this ordeal since my funds are quite limited.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wake27
01-01-16, 04:15
I've been unable to send it back as of late as I'm torn between getting it fixed and just getting a refund and using the money for something else. The sight has grown on me as it is much faster than irons even if it is a little less accurate. Part of what is holding me back on the refund is that Eotech has apparently failed to receive a number of the devices that others sent in due to the package volume. I'd hate to be in the hole $350 on this ordeal since my funds are quite limited.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Either way, it'll have to go back to them. I'm not sure that they lost any though, they're probably just incredibly back logged and therefore processing is slow. Is this your primary HD gun?

Hwikek
01-01-16, 05:11
Either way, it'll have to go back to them. I'm not sure that they lost any though, they're probably just incredibly back logged and therefore processing is slow. Is this your primary HD gun?

From what I understand the issue is that the post office has so many shipments being sent to Eotech that the post office has started to lose the packages. Or at least that was the claim on SSD. It's made me somewhat concerned about sending the sight in for a refund.

My AR is one of 3 guns I own and would probably be my first or second choice for home defense. I also have a Glock 19 and an 870. But the 870 is so large that I would have a hard time using it indoors. But considering my house is only about 30 feet in length I don't have much in the way of manuvering to get from room to room. I'd still take it over the Glock just for the better terminal performance. My guess is that any of them could "get the job done" but I hope that I can get by without finding out.

Wake27
01-01-16, 05:16
From what I understand the issue is that the post office has so many shipments being sent to Eotech that the post office has started to lose the packages. Or at least that was the claim on SSD. It's made me somewhat concerned about sending the sight in for a refund.

My AR is one of 3 guns I own and would probably be my first or second choice for home defense. I also have a Glock 19 and an 870. But the 870 is so large that I would have a hard time using it indoors. But considering my house is only about 30 feet in length I don't have much in the way of manuvering to get from room to room. I'd still take it over the Glock just for the better terminal performance. My guess is that any of them could "get the job done" but I hope that I can get by without finding out.

In that case I would recommend an Aimpoint. I love EOTechs, but my dedicated HD gun wears an Aimpoint micro and if I only had one AR, that's what it would have.

Hwikek
01-01-16, 05:31
In that case I would recommend an Aimpoint. I love EOTechs, but my dedicated HD gun wears an Aimpoint micro and if I only had one AR, that's what it would have.

I was thinking of getting a M4 or M4S since it's about the same weight as my Eotech, takes AAs, and has the longest battery life. Then again I'd be buying a weapon light way before I get a new red dot. I'm undecided on what to do for that issue as well.

Wake27
01-01-16, 13:02
I was thinking of getting a M4 or M4S since it's about the same weight as my Eotech, takes AAs, and has the longest battery life. Then again I'd be buying a weapon light way before I get a new red dot. I'm undecided on what to do for that issue as well.

The model is definitely up to you. The only money I'll spend on Aimpoint is for a micro, but I know some like the larger FOV. As for WML, I'm also a SureFire fanboy so that's all I buy now. They are expensive though so finding a used X300 for $150ish is a good option or the Inforce WML would probably be my next choice. Very much personal preference though.

Hwikek
01-02-16, 01:08
The model is definitely up to you. The only money I'll spend on Aimpoint is for a micro, but I know some like the larger FOV. As for WML, I'm also a SureFire fanboy so that's all I buy now. They are expensive though so finding a used X300 for $150ish is a good option or the Inforce WML would probably be my next choice. Very much personal preference though.

Thanks for your help. I just need the light to stand up well to recoil since it'll probably be shot in fairly good conditions unless it is raining at the range.