PDA

View Full Version : JUST a day dreaming question.. about stocks

jdchen0407
11-20-15, 13:04
I was just wondering that with the change to more light weight options now in rifles, is there really a place left for the iconic movie rifle butt to the face?

i understand that those weapons were much heavier and beefier so they were essentially bats when you needed to use them so. but hypothetically if you ran our of ammo in CQC would you still be able to rely on using your rifle to rifle butt someone now? considering most are made of light weight plastic.

and yes for all you guys.... you have exhausted all other options.... no knife/bayonet/sidearm/ yada yada

U&A
11-20-15, 13:14
if "you have exhausted all other options.... no knife/bayonet/sidearm/ yada yada"

and its live or die than what does it matter if the stock brakes? Im sure as hell not going to care if it brakes if its all I have left to defend my self.... as a matter of face im going to do my best at breaking the stock over their faces.

Uprange41
11-20-15, 13:18
Have you seen BCM's drop test?

crosseyedshooter
11-20-15, 13:20
Why not a poke to the face or sternum with the muzzle? Wouldn't a metal barrel make a better weapon than a plastic collapsible stock?

jdchen0407
11-20-15, 13:22
I understand that yes its your last resort but what i am saying is do u think that you would psychically be able to effectively knock the bejezzus out of someone with a light weight stock compared to say a wood battle rifle

U&A
11-20-15, 13:25
I understand that yes its your last resort but what i am saying is do u think that you would psychically be able to effectively knock the bejezzus out of someone with a light weight stock compared to say a wood battle rifle

I dont see why not but I think "CROSSEYEDSHOOTER" hit the nail on the head. that's why you practice jabbing people in the face with your muzzle when your really close.

steyrman13
11-20-15, 13:26
Have you seen BCM's drop test?

I have. I like the stock and have one, but in the test, it collapses when it was dropped....

jdchen0407
11-20-15, 13:26
I have to be honest... when you say poke someone or jab someone in the face with a rifle i cant help but laugh just imagine seeing that happen lol

U&A
11-20-15, 13:38
I have to be honest... when you say poke someone or jab someone in the face with a rifle i cant help but laugh just imagine seeing that happen lol

I thought it was funny too when I learned it in a class taught by 2 well decorated marine's. I would't argue with them. and then In another class that wast taught by a guy that Larry Vickers himself let teach his class when he was doing that for a while....not any more.

wahoo!! I just noticed I reached 200 post.

masenomics
11-20-15, 13:42
Well I say let your buddy bash your forehead in with his new fancy magpul SL or BCM butt stock and get back to us.

Uprange41
11-20-15, 13:45
I have. I like the stock and have one, but in the test, it collapses when it was dropped....

Which is why collapsing it all the way is SOP for slamming the stock on anything... faces, or otherwise. It's not like collapsing turns it into a pillow.

U&A
11-20-15, 13:50
Well I say let your buddy bash your forehead in with his new fancy magpul SL or BCM butt stock and get back to us.

LOL!!!!!! http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smiley_faces/lolabove-smiley-face.gif (http://emoticoner.com)

fallenromeo
11-20-15, 13:55
I don't want to get hit with any stock, not my CTR or anything else. I think it would still hurt enough to do damage in the situation you speak of.

Also, some stocks are more stout that others. Hell, I would take my UBR into a knife fight with a grizzly bear

MistWolf
11-20-15, 16:53
Why not a poke to the face or sternum with the muzzle? Wouldn't a metal barrel make a better weapon than a plastic collapsible stock?

This. There's a very good reason the bayonet goes on this end

ColtSeavers
11-20-15, 17:06
Not my image.

https://www.cmmginc.com/wp-content/uploads/pics/newpics/5/55DA5BA.jpg

ex95B10
11-20-15, 17:32
My Magpul UBR is pretty damn sturdy and it has the upgraded strike plate that can double as an eyebrow remover.

cbx
11-20-15, 18:25
If your to the point of having to use your rifle as a club, you're going to probably have a bad day, unless you're versed in hand combat.

If my rifle and pistol are out ammo, and no edged weapons are available, I'd fricking run, like forest gump.

556BlackRifle
11-21-15, 00:04
If your to the point of having to use your rifle as a club, you're going to probably have a bad day, unless you're versed in hand combat.

If my rifle and pistol are out ammo, and no edged weapons are available, I'd fricking run, like forest gump.

Spot on.

mark5pt56
11-21-15, 05:37

What if there's 40 pissed off pigmy's with machine guns fast roping in ?:eek:

MistWolf
11-21-15, 11:34
That's why you need to keep a cadre of midget ninjas on the payroll

Tzook
11-21-15, 14:00

It works though. I've seen it done, and it looks like it hurts. A lot.

Korgs130
11-21-15, 14:40

I Butt Smash might not be as effective with a collapsible stock, but I would think that a properly executed Butt Stroke to the head, groin or kidney would still get the job done. With all the increased popularity of the the AR platform as well as other modern sporting rifles over the past 11 years, I've always wondered why there has been almost zero emphasis on handheld weapons combatives.

henschman
11-21-15, 15:33
Plastic or no, it beats striking with bare hands. As others have said, a well-delivered muzzle strike is a pretty effective tooth remover as well.

BufordTJustice
11-21-15, 16:23
Plastic or no, it beats striking with bare hands. As others have said, a well-delivered muzzle strike is a pretty effective tooth remover as well.
A muzzle punch to the sternum is HIGHLY effective. Highly.

zackmars
11-21-15, 19:01
I Butt Smash might not be as effective with a collapsible stock, but I would think that a properly executed Butt Stroke to the head, groin or kidney would still get the job done. With all the increased popularity of the the AR platform as well as other modern sporting rifles over the past 11 years, I've always wondered why there has been almost zero emphasis on handheld weapons combatives.

I would argue the need for that died down once everyone moved away from 60-100 round combat loads, to 200+ rounds

Not to mention 30 round mags vs 5 round clips, or 8 round enblocs.

Kain
11-21-15, 19:23
A muzzle punch to the sternum is HIGHLY effective. Highly.

I have friends who agree, and who would have unfriendly, and in some case friends, Iraqis agree. It will do the job. Buttstroking with an M4 style rifle works too, though I have met at least one man who considered it to be bad form, mostly because he was wall and when he buttstroked with his issue M4 he bent the tube. TWICE! That said, if the chips are down I will hit, smack, stab, and beat your ass with everything and anything I can. The gun, knife, mag, bayo, club, stock, ect is not the weapon, I am. One would do well to remember this because I know the first rule of a fight, there are none, and a weapon is only limited by your imagination. Its effectiveness may not, but something is better than nothing if there is nothing else.

daddyusmaximus
11-21-15, 20:09
when he buttstroked with his issue M4 he bent the tube. TWICE!

^^^ This is why I would never want to but stroke a BG with a collapsible stock. ANY collapsible stock. Not worried about breaking the stock so much as bending the buffer tube. Jab with the muzzle.

lawusmc0844
11-21-15, 21:50
Call me weird all you want, I do practice combatives with my rifles once in a while. I utilize the same motions that MCMAP teaches, only I do it at full speed and incorporate other moves too. Considering the collapsible buttstock assembly, if it came down to it I would execute a muzzle thump before a buttstroke. And with the stock collapsed all the way a horizontal butt smash shouldn't do any damage to the tube.

cbx
11-21-15, 22:34
What if there's 40 pissed off pigmy's with machine guns fast roping in ?:eek:
Well that's a simple scenario. You either go Tango Mike Mike, or yo deads.

MistWolf
11-21-15, 23:35
Well that's a simple scenario. You either go Tango Mike Mike, or yo deads.

Like I said earlier- Keep a cadre of midget ninjas on your payroll. They can arrive on the scene riding on a throwing star. Minjas are badass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehQo7s_02sc

Korgs130
11-22-15, 22:27
Call me weird all you want, I do practice combatives with my rifles once in a while. I utilize the same motions that MCMAP teaches, only I do it at full speed and incorporate other moves too. Considering the collapsible buttstock assembly, if it came down to it I would execute a muzzle thump before a buttstroke. And with the stock collapsed all the way a horizontal butt smash shouldn't do any damage to the tube.

I'm with you all the way.