PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have A Surefire 100 Round Mag?

Abraham
11-20-15, 15:34
If so, would you please give us a review?

Why do I ask?

I'm considering buying one, but I wonder if it's a bitch to load or if my Maglula will work on it.

Before you laugh to loudly about my using a Maglula, try loading when your hands are arthritic, ya bastard...

ColtSeavers
11-20-15, 15:51
Have 6 60 rounders, 4 that get used and two that sit NIB. That help or anything specific you want to know?

Tequila45
11-20-15, 15:52
I have a 60rndr that use at the range. Loading that feels like it's never going to get full. I really don't fill it to capacity though. So yes I would use the lula

Leuthas
11-20-15, 18:59
I have two of the 100 round mags. It's hard to be exact, but they are noticeably harder to load than pmags and give mags.

johnson
11-20-15, 22:43
I bought a 60rd mag when they first came out and I've only loaded it and shot it once. I don't really see a point in it unless you just want to waste $30 in ammo per mag change.

I-M4-REAL
11-21-15, 06:55
OP.. Fwiw I have both flavors of each, one 60rd and one 100rd version and both do their intended job well, however I would recommend to you buying the 60rd mag first just to test it out and see if you like it and if you'll actually 'need' to move up the 100rdr.
I feel that the 100rd is just way too heavy loaded and can be awkward especially in the prone and also can be hard to carry depending on your load/bug-out gear (or chest rig) while the 60rd is the perfect size and no bigger that a standard 30rd Colt magazine except they're twice as wide.
I would rather have 2-60rdr's than just one 100rdr, but that's me. To be honest the 100rdr is more of a novelty item or conversation piece. ymmv.
Here you go OP,check out these prices which is the best I've seen in a while since July 4th when Sure-Fire was selling both mags at 50% off each one. Good Luck!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SureFire-60-Round-High-Capacity-Magazine-p/sf%20mag5-60.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SureFire-100-Round-High-Capacity-Magazine-p/sf%20mag5-100.htm

_Stormin_
11-21-15, 07:08
Best friend has a hundred rounder and he has brought to the range exactly ONE time. It's been used once and now sits because he doesn't need the weight vs capacity. He at least admits that he "bought it to have it," rather than a legitimate need. IMHO is also a PITA to load without a loader. Much of that is the time it takes if you're just shoving one round in the mag over and over again, but at the end the resistance does get up there...

I genuinely feel that even the sixty is a bit of overkill, but that's a personal opinion. Maybe at some point I will find myself in a situation where 40 (the largest magazine I'll buy) won't be enough... Heck, I've bought more 20 round magazines than 30 rounders in the past 6 months, so take that into consideration I guess.

wickedyz
11-21-15, 07:31
I bought two 60 round mags and neither one worked reliably enough to use. I would not recommend them to anyone. I would much rather buy a Magpul 40 for way less and have a decently reliable magazine.

Ryno12
11-21-15, 08:43
Arms Unlimited has Surefire 60 & 100 round for $80 & $90, respectively.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SureFire-High-Capacity-100-Round-Magazine-p/mag5-100.htm

I only own a SF 60 round mag & I never use it. Too big/bulky & I don't need that many rounds in a mag. They're novelty mags IMO.

Abraham
11-21-15, 08:45
Thanks all.

I won't be buying the 100 round mag after reading the input here.

Thanks again.

Leuthas
11-21-15, 12:42
I bought a 60rd mag when they first came out and I've only loaded it and shot it once. I don't really see a point in it unless you just want to waste $30 in ammo per mag change.

If you're wasting ammo, it doesn't matter if you're doing it 30 or 100 rounds at a time. You're just wasting ammo.

Abraham
11-21-15, 13:06
Leuthas,

If you shoot two full 30 round mags practicing at the range or one sixty round mag doing the same thing, how is that wasting ammo.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Auto-X Fil
11-21-15, 13:30
If you don't use your AR for 3-gun or other matches where reloads are a competitive disadvantage, or in a social situation where reloads are a serious inconvenience, I can't imagine dropping the coin on these.

So yeah, for casual range use... No point. Heck, I use mostly 20rd mags for plinking and even most of my "serious" drills that don't involve prone shooting or reloading practice.

daddyusmaximus
11-21-15, 13:50
I had a 100 round Beta C-mag in Iraq, but it was heavy as hell. I only used it from the truck. Heavy as it was, it functioned very well. Great mag for FA gun truck use when you've got too much rank to be up in the turret... (still did a few times) Makes you feel like you got a mini SAW. :cool: Didn't take haji long to figure out to engage from the driver's side so there was one less weapon shooting back at them. You can fire and drive at the same time, but not really do either one of them both well at the same time, so most times our drivers kept their focus on driving. I wouldn't mind trying the 60 round Surefire version one day. I would also love to be able to afford to keep one of those loaded up now as a civilian, but I sold it because I needed some cash. A 100 rounder would be great as a defensive item to hold a fixed position.

Leuthas
11-21-15, 15:00
Leuthas,

If you shoot two full 30 round mags practicing at the range or one sixty round mag doing the same thing, how is that wasting ammo.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

I think you read my post wrong. I was pointing out Johnson's comment regarding his implication that using a 100rnd magazine is somehow a waste.

Leuthas
11-21-15, 15:05
I had a 100 round Beta C-mag in Iraq, but it was heavy as hell. I only used it from the truck. Heavy as it was, it functioned very well. Great mag for FA gun truck use when you've got too much rank to be up in the turret... (still did a few times) Makes you feel like you got a mini SAW. :cool: Didn't take haji long to figure out to engage from the driver's side so there was one less weapon shooting back at them. You can fire and drive at the same time, but not really do either one of them both well at the same time, so most times our drivers kept their focus on driving. I wouldn't mind trying the 60 round Surefire version one day. I would also love to be able to afford to keep one of those loaded up now as a civilian, but I sold it because I needed some cash. A 100 rounder would be great as a defensive item to hold a fixed position.

The story goes that the 60rnd surefires are excellent for carrying in the patrol rifle, with all supplementary mags being traditional 30rnd. Excellent for being on the receiving end of an ambush or other situations where the most intense part of the fight is up front and quick.

Kain
11-21-15, 16:41
I have had two Surefire 60s. The first was not what I would consider to be reliable enough fully loaded for prime time. Forty rounds or less it seemed to work fine, but beyond that I would get hang ups, or malfs. It was enough for me to sell it when someone offered me more than I had in it. Bought a second one now though. Haven't even unwrapped it. Will buy another one or two as well, maybe some of the 100s. Looking at them more for trade fodder for next year or so than any hard use. Same with the betas I own. Actually have had fewer issues with a beta mag running m193 than I did with the first Surefire. That said, neither are mags I would grab for serious use, at least as of currently. If I need more than 20 or 30 rounds i will grab my 40s. Have not had issue with them, and as "ambush breaker" mags they would be the first choice to me, since I have run several flavors now for years and not had an issue in multiple rifles.

40s are also easier to get into mag pouches, something a Surefire 60 can be a pain about.

This is my experience, granted, I am sure there are those out there who have not had issues. But, for the price, I have other things that I could really spend money on.

waveslayer
11-21-15, 16:53
I had one, then sold it and bought a bunch of mags that totals over 200 rounds.. figured I could do some more mag changes. but if SHTF, then they are nice

JusticeM4
11-23-15, 04:29
I have one 60rd Surefire, they are cool to have for sure. I'd say its about 90% reliable in my experience. It requires some 'break-in' , as it took a few mag-fulls of use for it to become reliable. Its great for range use or as a backup.

Here's a better idea: Get two 30 or 40 round Pmags and a few Magpul magazine clamps. Clamp two 30rd (or 40rd) mags together, and you have a much more reliable and cheaper alternative. For variety, I run a 30rd windowed Pmag clamped to a 40rd Pmag for a total of 70rds. This setup also allows you to have different types of ammo in each mag. On my 30-40rd setup, the 30rd primary mag is loaded with jhp, while the 40rounder has green tips.

TheChunkNorris
11-23-15, 04:49
Agreed with everyone here. I have both 60rd mags and 100rd mags... I'd def recommend a 60rd vs a 100rd.

Leuthas
11-23-15, 07:17
The 100 round magazine is definitely the odd man out, unless you have some sort of esoteric use for it as support, it isn't really demonstrably practical. A novelty at best.