PDA

View Full Version : GlockKraft Tactical DAT Review

Yojimbo
11-20-15, 21:15
Lately there has been a lot of interest in the "Flat" style triggers for Glock pistols. There are quite a few companies making these triggers so there are almost too many to choose from. Shortly after they these triggers came out some were found to actually defeat the Glock's passive safeties and fail actual drop tests. The main culprit appeared to be too much pre-ravel being removed.

GlockKraft stood out to me because instead of making excuses and blaming everything but their product they actually opened a dialog with potential customers and showed how their product was properly designed and did not defeat any of the Glock safeties.
I was impressed with GlockKraft so I pre-ordered one of their new Tactical D.A.T. (Defensive Applications Trigger) drop in kits.

The DAT drop in kit came with the flat trigger shoe, trigger bar, trigger housing, trigger spring, 336 ejector and OEM 3.5 lb connector. The trigger bar and connector appeared to be polished nicely from the factory.
The installation was simple and straight forward and took less than 5 minutes to do.

The trigger felt very nice with a slightly shorter pre-travel and a crisper break than my polished OEM setup. The trigger reset was also nice and positive. The trigger shoe itself is flat and wider than the OEM trigger shoe. I did 20 drops onto a concrete floor covered with carpet padding and carpet. I did my best to make sure my Glock landed on the back of the slide or the back strap of the grip. I was not able to induce the trigger to drop or cause any dead trigger pulls. The Tactical DAT appears to be true to GlockKrafts promise of keeping all the Glock safeties functional.

I did about 300 rounds of dry fire to get a feel for the trigger after installing it and noticed that the trigger became a bit smoother the more I dry fired it. The next day I put 500 rounds at the range, the trigger definitely felt nice during the range session. I felt the flat surface allowed me to press the trigger straight back with more consistency than the smooth OEM trigger. I noticed my groups were slightly tighter than normal as I sped up my shooting.

A couple of minor product improvements I would like to see is to make the trigger safety thinner and longer. The wide trigger shoe also had a wider trigger safety and thus a wide trigger safety slot. When the trigger safety is depressed it could pushed down into the slot slightly past the flat surface of the trigger letting you feel the wide outline of the trigger safety slot. Also, when the trigger safety is fully depressed it also did not reach all the way to bottom of the slot to where the "hook" is located so you could feel the tips of the "hooks" on your trigger finger. I found that these two factors took away the solid one piece surface feeling of the flat trigger.

I believe a thinner and longer trigger safety will give the trigger a more solid one piece feel because the trigger safety slot and the two "hook" points will not be as noticeable. The extremely thin trigger safety and slot on the OEM trigger shoe is almost completely unnoticeable. The OEM trigger safety also can't be pressed below the slot surface so the trigger feels more solid and one piece.

My DAT trigger kit was setup with a Wolff 6lb trigger spring and the Wolff lightweight striker safety plunger spring. I tested the trigger pull weight and it came out to a 10 pull average of 4.1-4.2 lbs. With the OEM springs it was right at around 4.7-4.8 lbs.

The DAT pre-travel was also slightly shorter than OEM. The OEM trigger pre-travel measured at 6.4mm to the wall. The DAT pre-travel measured 3.8mm so there was about a 35% reduction in pre-travel. Please note that these measurements could be slightly different from pistol to pistol so YMMV.

I used an armorer's backplate to check the striker pedestal/cruciform tab engagement it looked to be about 70-75% engagement. More than enough to meet Glock’s safety specs.
The two issues I mentioned are not deal killers but I believe the changes I suggested would make the trigger feel much better. Overall I give the GlockKraft Tactical DAT 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Now on to the pictures.

The drop in kit unboxed.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_1321_Medium_.JPG

Armorer back plate view of the pedestal and cruciform tab engagement.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_1338_Medium_.JPG

OEM trigger pre-travel – 6.4mm to wall.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_1354_Medium_.JPG

DAT pre-travel – 3.8mm to wall.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_1355_Medium_.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_1334_Medium_.JPG

R0CKETMAN
11-21-15, 05:58
Why does it come with that ejector when the 30274 is preferred combo with apex and non lci in gen4s?

Yojimbo
11-21-15, 08:29
Why does it come with that ejector when the 30274 is preferred combo with apex and non lci in gen4s?

My only thought is because this was a Gen 3 drop in kit. I have four G19s, one Gen 2 and three Gen 3. My newest Glock 19 was made in 2008 so they are all pre-mim models. All of mine have 336 ejectors and I don't have any BTF issues so it didn't matter for me.

sasage
11-22-15, 16:20
All the bars will be NP3 Coates starting in Dec. I'll probably snag one then

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo
11-24-15, 08:12
All the bars will be NP3 Coates starting in Dec. I'll probably snag one then

Yeah, I heard about that from the manufacturer. I much prefer a mirror polished trigger bar with a good lube vs coated parts. I was told that uncoated versions would still be available upon request. If I get another one I will get an uncoated version.

sasage
11-24-15, 20:42
Yeah, I heard about that from the manufacturer. I much prefer a mirror polished trigger bar with a good lube vs coated parts. I was told that uncoated versions would still be available upon request. If I get another one I will get an uncoated version.
Why the preference for the non coated?

Yojimbo
11-25-15, 08:57
Why the preference for the non coated?

I have shot Glocks with NP3 coated trigger bar, connector and striker and I did not notice any difference between it and well polished versions. I actually think the polished trigger bar, connector, striker and FP safety felt better.

I just prefer to do my own polishing vs having a coating that basically simulates a good polish. I understand the NP3 also works well dry but that's a not really an issue for me with the Glocks ignition system.

sasage
11-27-15, 18:14
Ordered one of the gen 2 DAT during the sale. Looking forward to it

punkey71
11-27-15, 21:57
Ordered one of the gen 2 DAT during the sale. Looking forward to it

Do you know the difference between the DAT and the Tactical?

Both have G3 bars and the descriptions look similar.

I must be missing the difference between them. Any help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yojimbo
11-27-15, 22:03
Do you know the difference between the DAT and the Tactical?

Both have G3 bars and the descriptions look similar.

I must be missing the difference between them. Any help?

The standard DAT, Gen1 and 2, do not have the "Hooks" at the bottom of the trigger shoe like the Tactical model.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/IMG_1394_Medium_.JPG

Blahblah's picture below shows the DAT, note there are no curved "Hooks" on the bottom of the trigger shoe.

http://www.vomschmidthaus.com/img/g19_stuff/gk_dat.jpg

punkey71
11-27-15, 22:27
Gotcha, thanks.

I should have caught that.

I appreciate the help.

K1tt3n5
11-28-15, 00:13
Please delete.