PDA

View Full Version : Custom 1911

NinjaMedic
08-05-08, 12:56
OK first a little background, I am a glock/sig/xd owner and would like to move over to a 1911. I cant afford a full house custom job but I do want a custom. I am planing on a full size caspian frame/slide (race ready frame with the "tactical" mag well), kart barrel, novak sights, no ambi safety, etc. I want to go with caspians standard 20lpi checkering, a round top slide with no serations. Basically I want to get the best parts that I can with no frills, and parkerize the whole dang thing. Now I know better than to ask who the best smith is that will do this kind of work, and I would love to send it to Ted Yost or Jason Burton but I simply cant afford their level of perfection. What I need to know is some 1911 smiths who will work with me on what I want and make it a bullet proof, go bang every time, great trigger, 1911. So if any one has suggestions on who to go to for a bulletproof, no frills, 1911 please let me know. Thanks!

ETA - This pistol will also get a dawson rail, an extra fitted extractor(maybe 2?), and 10 tripp or wilson mags. Is there any other replacement parts that would require fitting that would be good to have on hand? I am hoping to keep this pistol under 2500, I dont know if thats realistic but I am a very firm believer in putting most of my money in ammunition and cleaning supplies so I can be absolutly certain that A - the gun functions flawlessly and B - I can hit the broadside of a barndoor ;).

Sam
08-05-08, 13:19
From your specifications, you're looking at about $2000 - $3000. You mentioned Ted Yost and Jason Burton, so you're familiar with their work. If you want a "no frill" gun, why don't you wait around for one of Ted's 1* package resale, they seem to pop up every once in a while. They're usually built on a Springfield Milspec, but that's a very nice base gun. Those 1* resale usually go for around $1500 or less, depend on how desparate the seller is.
Most competent pistolsmiths will usually accomodate your request for the work you want.

R Moran
08-05-08, 16:21
After taking a class or two from Vickers and Yam, one thing I've come away with is, "every part of a 1911 must be hand fit, down to the grip screws",LAV.
During the trouble shooting portion of the 1911 operators course, LAV shows you what he means, and why. Some of the little hand fitting he does, that causes his guns to cost much more.

LAV also suggests starting with a working complete gun, rather then building up. As you are starting with a known working gun, rather then random parts that may be out of spec, before you even put things together, and you may never find the root cause of problems that may arise.
I'm pretty sure that's not set in stone though.

When I lived south of Houston, I had Ed Vandenberg do a lot of work for, including 1911's, fixing other screw ups, and a complete build up of a Colt 1991a1. He doesn't do anything fancy, and his ideas don't always mesh with others, but the guns he'd done for me work well. And he'll give you his advice, but will generally do what you want. If its out of his ability, or he just doesn't think it will work, he'll usually tell you.
i seem to remember a lot of smiths in the Austin area, you can always do a search of the American Pistolsmiths guild, The best smith is only a UPS truck away.

Curious as to why you want to switch? and go straight to a full custom job. Perhaps easing into 1911's may be a better way to go. something like a Springfield Loaded or TRP, or for a little more a Wilson CQB. Something you can shoot for awhile, and really decide if you like the 1911, and can live with it.

Bob

BigSam
08-05-08, 16:48
If this is your first venture into the 1911 world, check out the PT1911 by Taurus. I went with it because of the price and features. The only feature I just had to change was the hammer with a Wilson Combat. The Taurus hammer has a lock on it which I don't want to f/u when I need it to go bang. After that, some trigger work, some slide cosmetics, ERGO grips a Wilson magwell and it runs like a top. It eats all that it's fed without a hiccup after over 2k rds.

Also I'd like to show my appreciation for the members and moderators here on focusing on function over fashion. I am a true guy on a budget. So I don't have the money to dazzle without the function. Thanks guys.

Sam.

theJanitor
08-05-08, 16:52
FYI, my little bro is building up a caspian frame/slide at the moment. he ordered it with the frontstrap checkered, but it turns out it was crooked. and it's not just skewed, the lines are actually a little arched, like the frame wasn't secure in the jig while the checkering was cut. maybe this is something that you want your smith to do instead of caspian

jsbcody
08-05-08, 16:57
Instead of going with a full custom pistol that is going to take a year or more how about a "semi-custom" pistol. The top makers are Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, and Rock River. I know that Nighthawk and Wilson will put almost everything you want on this pistol. Check out George at Gunslinger's, he has a lay away plan for most of the top makers and his prices are quite good. Also do some research on the Dawson Rail vs. the standard rail. I am looking at getting another 1911 in a few months and am also looking at a Nighthawk or Wilson to get the features I want on the pistol.

MarshallDodge
08-05-08, 17:39
Give Bob Serva a call at Fusion Firearms, he will build it how you want it and save you some change. www.fusionfirearms.com