PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else had their recent purchases held up?

rep0055
11-21-15, 20:40
Purchased a handgun a few days ago, and it arrived at the FFL locally yesterday. I went to pick it up, and the ATF delayed my background check. Has this happened to anyone else recently? I don't have any red flags on me that would give the ATF pause, and I'm wondering if the recent events overseas have made them a little jumpy.

K1tt3n5
11-21-15, 20:57
Nope, not since I acquired my chl. Purchased a received set on Friday.

Bret
11-21-15, 20:57
If you live in a free state and can get a carry permit, get one. It will eliminate the opportunity for them to screw things up.

uffdaphil
11-21-15, 22:09
They only time mine was delayed was when I did not include my SSN. And yes, I have a carry permit.

Bret
11-21-15, 22:40
I guess it varies by state. If you have a carry permit in Georgia, you don't have to go through a background check.

opmike
11-21-15, 22:54
I get delayed every single time now. No criminal record, have my CHL, and my only run-in with the police was a speeding ticket 5+ years ago.

Mine doesn't have anything to do with stuff abroad, however, it's been happening to me for a couple of years now.

Tigereye
11-22-15, 08:26
Picked up a lower on Friday and went through with no issues or additional time. Live in AL.

Helix12
11-22-15, 10:17
They only time mine was delayed was when I did not include my SSN. And yes, I have a carry permit.

I've bought several guns, mostly handguns, in the last couple of years. Approval takes less than 10 minutes and I never, ever include my social security number. I have had a carry permit for years but was unaware that a carry permit had anything to do with speedy approvals. I do live in a free state.

JS-Maine
11-22-15, 10:21
My friend owns a sporting goods outfitter and was just mentioning that folks are being held because FBI is getting backed up. Sales are absolutely roaring.

HKGuns
11-22-15, 10:57
Sales are indeed up by a large measure since the Paris attack. LGS near me told me they have been selling a lot more than normal for this time of year.

Straight Shooter
11-22-15, 11:19
Got delayed about a month ago, first time in my life. Came thru 3 days later. I was pissed. No reason given.

BatteryOperated
11-22-15, 13:10
In WI we have 3 day wait for pistols and none for rifles. When I picked up an AR in '13 the Federal on-line site was down and I had to wait a day. I was told by my FFL that it was due to the high volume since it was just before Christmas. I have made 4 purchases since then and they have all gone thru without a hitch. My most current was this past Friday. The high amount of pre Black Friday sales may be to blame, but I would guess it is the Federal computers.

MountainRaven
11-22-15, 13:58
Got delayed about a month ago, first time in my life. Came thru 3 days later. I was pissed. No reason given.

Nor can you ever expect to hear one. The FBI and ATF cannot share it with the FFL. And in the case of a mere delay, it can be anything from somebody with a similar name in the system to slow computers. The only way you'll ever find out is if you get denied and fill out one of the ATF's appeal forms.

samuse
11-22-15, 14:14
I get delayed every single time now. No criminal record, have my CHL, and my only run-in with the police was a speeding ticket 5+ years ago.

Mine doesn't have anything to do with stuff abroad, however, it's been happening to me for a couple of years now.

Could be someone else with your name in trouble.

I got hung up at customs trying to get back into the US every single time for over a year due to an issue like that. Makes for a long day but you get to see some pretty interesting fellers when you're detained by the CPB...:rolleyes:

Leonidas24
11-22-15, 14:29
Purchased a handgun a few days ago, and it arrived at the FFL locally yesterday. I went to pick it up, and the ATF delayed my background check. Has this happened to anyone else recently? I don't have any red flags on me that would give the ATF pause, and I'm wondering if the recent events overseas have made them a little jumpy.

I've worked for a local FFL for almost three years and have seen the most honest to God lawful people get delayed every time for no apparent reason. A delay can happen for any number of reasons, most notably active military members with secret or top secret clearances get held up the most. Then law enforcement. And of course if NICS is slammed with searches it's not uncommon to get a delay. I know last Monday/Tuesday after the attacks we had delays that lasted through the end of the day but received a response the next day.

demkofour
11-22-15, 14:36
Could be someone else with your name in trouble.

Back when I was a uniformed LEO I went to a LGS with my partner (also in full uniform.) He was delayed, but was able to complete the purchase days later...
When he was delayed, we ran his name in the state and national data base. Sure enough, there was a guy in another state, with the same name (but different DOB and Race), which came up cross-referenced, that apparently caused the flag to go up.

SteveL
11-22-15, 14:48
I don't know if you call it a delay, but I bought a pistol about two weeks ago and my background check took around an hour and a half to come back when it should have only been 5-10 minutes. It was approved with no problem, just slow due to heavy traffic on the system as I understand it.

RIDE
11-22-15, 15:43
I don't know if you call it a delay, but I bought a pistol about two weeks ago and my background check took around an hour and a half to come back when it should have only been 5-10 minutes. It was approved with no problem, just slow due to heavy traffic on the system as I understand it.

My FFL told me when he gets a "delay", he usually tells the customer that it's heavy traffic, and most of the the time the delay turns to approved within 30 minutes.

You never know I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveL
11-22-15, 17:35
My FFL told me when he gets a "delay", he usually tells the customer that it's heavy traffic, and most of the the time the delay turns to approved within 30 minutes.

You never know I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my situation it took forever for the status to change from received to processing. Once it went to processing it only took another 5-10 minutes.

Swstock
11-22-15, 17:50
If you live in a free state and can get a carry permit, get one. It will eliminate the opportunity for them to screw things up.

In what way? There is still a nics check.

DirectTo
11-22-15, 18:04
Depends on state. In Texas if you have a CHL they fill out the 4473 and send you on your way. The background check for the CHL acts in place of the call to the Feds during a purchase.

Greg Kulbick
11-22-15, 21:36
More often than not when myself or my customers have looked into why they might have been delayed, it's usually a similar name flagging for something. They're going to err on the side of caution every time and come back with a conditional non-approval or delay.

Also, resident aliens usually have to wait because while even if the background check comes back ok, they have to wait on ICE.

Hmac
11-22-15, 22:15

Varies by state.