PDA

View Full Version : G19 vs M&P 9mm

A_shizzle
08-05-08, 14:13
Ok ive about decided to go for the Glock 19 but i have heard quite a few good things about the M&P series. This pistols primary use will be concealled carry. So G19 or M&P compact 9mm? Thanks for the input.

Zulu
08-05-08, 14:39
Here is a pic of my wife's M&P 9c She's got this thing dialed in:) I'm going to get a 40, just because I can, I's the same size so why not.:)

http://www.team99.org/images/guns/cathy/cats.JPG

Larger Pic (http://www.team99.org/images/guns/cathy/cat.JPG)

johnson
08-05-08, 14:54
https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=560980

or search for "m&p9 glock"

Jerm
08-05-08, 15:52
i find the full size M&P9 to be comparable to the Glock 19.no more difficult(maybe slightly less) to carry IWB anyway.

i no longer have my G19,so i havent compared them side by side...but the M&P seems slimmer and thus slightly more comfortable.

its definately easier for me than carrying the Glock 17 was.

C4IGrant
08-05-08, 16:02
First let me say that I think the G19 is the finest Glock made and one of the very best fighting handguns made.

With that said, I chose the M&P over the Glock.

C4

ToddG
08-05-08, 16:03
"Been covered" is not a helpful or acceptable answer to a question here, please.
"Thanks captain useful" is equally unwarranted. Thank you.

As for the original question:

Choosing between the two should be more about features and function than size. The difference in size from a full size M&P to a G19, then from a G19 to a M&Pc is pretty minor. If you can carry the G19 comfortably concealed, either of the other two will probably work.

Shoot both the Glock and the Smith side by side. They have different grip angles, different trigger mechanisms (feel of the trigger), and much different ergonomics.

Most people who have shot both extensively will tell you the M&P has less muzzle flip. However, the practical benefit of that is probably pretty minor. It's like saying my 3,704-pound car is going to handle a little slower than your 3,532-pound car. :rolleyes:

If you like to tinker, the Glock is easier to detail strip and put back together without any serious training. An inebriated monkey can be trained to detail strip a Glock in about ten minutes (it takes ten minutes to teach him ... it would only take about two minutes for the monkey to take the gun apart).

The ergonomics on the M&P are light years ahead of the Glock, but that only matters if the Glock's ergos don't work happily for you.

Between the two, I much prefer the M&P, myself.

Jerm
08-05-08, 16:12
yeah...i kinda zeroed in on size because of the choices given(G19 or M&P compact).i just seen the full size M&P as being slightly more comparable to the G19.

in general...

after a decade~ of shooting/carrying Glocks,i now prefer the M&P.

prefer the ergo's and i just shoot it better for whatever reason(even with far more experience with the Glocks).

A_shizzle
08-05-08, 16:19
Thanks to everyone who helped answer my question. Im goin to the gun show this weekend and will compare the two before making any decision. Thanks again.

DarrinD
08-05-08, 16:53
Shoot both the Glock and the Smith side by side.

I think this is the best advice for the age old firearms queston should I buy X or Y?

Beat Trash
08-05-08, 17:45
I have carried a Glock 19 off duty for about 6-7 years. Love the gun.

I was issued a M&P 9mm a little over two years ago. The M&P is a bit bigger than the Glock 19, but not enough to make that much of a difference with a good holster.

While I shoot my Glock 19 well, I can shoot my M&P better. I find the M&P a bit more accurate and my shot to shot recovery time is a bit faster with the M&P than with the Glock 19.

Our department has around 1,200 of the M&P's in the field. NO real issues so far. Starting to see some guns with round counts past 10K. We received the first three 9mm's to leave the factory as T&E guns. After the testing was completed, two of these T&E 9mm's were purchased by one of our armors to be used in his CCW classes that he teaches on the side. These guns have over 45K rounds through them. No issues so far.

I am a huge Glock fan, especially as it concerns the Glock 19. I now carry a M&P when on my own time.

The best advice though is to shoot both side by side. What might feel best for one person might not be so good for another.

Either gun will serve you well...

Blackwater
08-05-08, 19:10
I sold my MP9c in favor of the G26. I also own the G19/G21 so it made sense. However, my late serial MP9c (serial prefix MPW) ran flawless and had a very good trigger also. Parts availability made my decision for me really.

That being said, if you need a Comp-TAC IWB- FBI Cant Pro Undercover holster, let me know. I have one for sale.

mattjmcd
08-05-08, 19:43
I have both and prefer the M&P by a fair margin. It is more accurate (for me) and the ergos are better. It seems to answer some of the "questions" planted in my head by the Glock- why the marginal sights/ odd grip angle/ funky mag release etc.

John_Wayne777
08-05-08, 20:04
Thanks to everyone who helped answer my question. Im goin to the gun show this weekend and will compare the two before making any decision. Thanks again.

My 2 cents:

The G19 is a bit easier to conceal than the full-sized M&P, but I find the M&P to be much easier to shoot well.

The 9C is a bit easier to conceal than the G19 and I find even the 9C to be easier to shoot well than the G19.

I'm very pleased with my M&P 9C. I much prefer it to the Glock 19 or the Glock 26.

COJAM
08-05-08, 20:19
I have both,and I personally prefer the G19, I would like to say I vehemently hated Glocks for a long time without even shooting one, then one day I shot an officers G19 at the range and was instantly more accurate with it than my M&P. It does get more painful to shoot when the round count goes up, but the G19 is my carry and GTG.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll208/cojam_photos/guns007.jpg

Paul45
08-06-08, 20:15
"Been covered" is not a helpful or acceptable answer to a question here, please.
"Thanks captain useful" is equally unwarranted. Thank you.

As for the original question:

Choosing between the two should be more about features and function than size. The difference in size from a full size M&P to a G19, then from a G19 to a M&Pc is pretty minor. If you can carry the G19 comfortably concealed, either of the other two will probably work.

Shoot both the Glock and the Smith side by side. They have different grip angles, different trigger mechanisms (feel of the trigger), and much different ergonomics.

Most people who have shot both extensively will tell you the M&P has less muzzle flip. However, the practical benefit of that is probably pretty minor. It's like saying my 3,704-pound car is going to handle a little slower than your 3,532-pound car. :rolleyes:

If you like to tinker, the Glock is easier to detail strip and put back together without any serious training. An inebriated monkey can be trained to detail strip a Glock in about ten minutes (it takes ten minutes to teach him ... it would only take about two minutes for the monkey to take the gun apart).

The ergonomics on the M&P are light years ahead of the Glock, but that only matters if the Glock's ergos don't work happily for you.

Between the two, I much prefer the M&P, myself.

I tried to teach my LIBERAL MBA son-in-law how to field strip a Glock to clean it for me after he shot it. I gave up after 1/2 hour. Send me the address of the monkey please.

DM-SC
08-07-08, 15:00
I like BOTH my M&P9 and my G19. I shoot both pretty well (for me, at least! ;) ).

I carry my G19 simply because it's been 100% reliable over the 10 years or so I've owned it. It has earned my extra trust and is rewarded by getting to go with me while the others stay in the safe. :cool:

9 Micky Mouse
08-07-08, 16:16
I must admitt the only poly gun I would buy would be the M&P in 9mm. The only thing like another guy said is it takes long to strip, the fact that if you drop the mag it will not fire is a matter of what you like.
I like my glock and I can get parts anywhere and maybe quicker than an M&P

Palmguy
08-07-08, 17:02
I must admitt the only poly gun I would buy would be the M&P in 9mm. The only thing like another guy said is it takes long to strip, the fact that if you drop the mag it will not fire is a matter of what you like.
I like my glock and I can get parts anywhere and maybe quicker than an M&P

If you are talking about field stripping...maybe it's 3 seconds slower than a Glock because you have to flip the lever but BFD.

The mag safety is optional. My M&Ps don't have it. Even if you have the mag safety it can be disabled easily.

HK45
08-09-08, 01:23
I would have to go with the Glock 19 for time in the field, ease of complete disassembly and replacement of parts, and greater reliability. The M&P for ergo's only. I really like the M&P's but if I wanted a close to a sure thing as possible I would go for a Glock before any M&P.

08-11-08, 01:10
I would have to go with the Glock 19 for time in the field, ease of complete disassembly and replacement of parts, and greater reliability. The M&P for ergo's only. ....... if I wanted a close to a sure thing as possible I would go for a Glock before any M&P.
What he said.

HK45
08-11-08, 09:20
I am not knocking the M&P 9 btw. I just bought my second one yesterday. I should also say that the Glock 19 fits my hand better than the M&P 9c. If it was between a Glock 17 and full size M&P 9 the choice would be much harder despite the Glocks long reputation and ease of repair.

UPSguy
08-11-08, 13:25
Actually the glock isn't any faster to strip as you can just pull the trigger like the glock on the S&W to take it apart. You only have to trip the lever if you feel squimish about pulling a trigger to take the gun apart.

I like the grip angle of the M&P better than the Glocks, but of the Glocks I like the 19 the best. The biggest difference for me is the glock tends to beat up the knuckle of my social finger (even when I narrow the trigger guard) and the M&P doesn't.

ToddG
08-11-08, 17:35
Actually the glock isn't any faster to strip as you can just pull the trigger like the glock on the S&W to take it apart. You only have to trip the lever if you feel squimish about pulling a trigger to take the gun apart.

I might be mistaken, but I assumed it was detail stripping that was being compared, not field stripping. Nothing comes close to Glock in terms of being easy for armorers.

Now, how much that matters when discussing guns that rarely break and don't need to be more than field stripped for cleaning and preventative maintenance is another question ...

UPSguy
08-11-08, 19:35
Sorry Todd, I should have used the quote function. I was trying to reply to the guy who said it took 3 seconds longer to strip the M&P because you had to trip the little lever.

ToddG
08-11-08, 19:37
No sweat, I just didn't follow the discussion when it jumped pages. My bad!

M4arc
08-11-08, 20:00
I absolutely love my M&P9 and I shoot it most of the time BUT I still carry my G19 as my prmiary CCW. I can carry my M&P9 but it's extremely hard to beat the G19 for a carry gun.

I haven't shot a M&P9c yet but they are a tab bit wider, I'm giving up 3 rounds and the holster selection is limited when you compare it to the Glock.

Soon I'll post pictures of my latest G19 CCW ;)

Palmguy
08-11-08, 21:17

I like the grip angle of the M&P better than the Glocks, but of the Glocks I like the 19 the best. The biggest difference for me is the glock tends to beat up the knuckle of my social finger (even when I narrow the trigger guard) and the M&P doesn't.

Yeah I know...I personally just pull the trigger. It just cracks me up when people throw out there that the Glock is faster to field strip than the M&P.

I do now realize that the implication was on detail stripping now, so I'll go back to shutting up :)

DM-SC
08-12-08, 19:08
Yeah I know...I personally just pull the trigger. It just cracks me up when people throw out there that the Glock is faster to field strip than the M&P.

I do now realize that the implication was on detail stripping now, so I'll go back to shutting up :)

Well, it does depend...

I have a M&P9 with the mag disconnect. It does take a couple of extra seconds longer to get the slide off. That's assuming I don't fumble around! ;)

RogerinTPA
08-12-08, 19:46
The M&P9c is the shizzel and my CCW daily carry. I'm so impressed with the M&P series, I just traded my 1st gen G23 (which was my other concealed carry gun) for the M&P40 full size this weekend, to go along with my full sized M&P45. The grip design/ergonomics and shootability is what sold me on them. Besides the CZ line, this is the most comfortable handgun I've ever fired. :cool:

recon
08-17-08, 22:57
First let me say that I think the G19 is the finest Glock made and one of the very best fighting handguns made.

With that said, I chose the M&P over the Glock.
C4

I'll agree with that statement about the GL-19! So what makes the M&P better?

DarrinD
08-17-08, 23:20
Everything.
Nothing.
If you assume that both are acceptably reliable, you truly have to try both side by side yourself and if you're objective you will be able to answer the question yourself, because you will not get the answer by reading forum posts, most of which are biased toward one or the other . . . . I wonder if my post is?

Narph
08-17-08, 23:41
Dig em both, but I liked the trigger on the glock better.

The M&P had a better grip, but the trigger wasn't anything special - it was a range gun though, so take that with a grain of salt.

I know you only asked about those two, but have you checked out the Steyr MA1 9mm? CDNN has had em on sale for awhile ($340 or so), and they are similar to both... Striker fired, stainless melonite/tennifer finish, but the trigger is a little bit lighter with a shorter reset than the glock.

Is this your first big handgun buy? Can't go wrong with the glock:

Reliable
Cheap parts (Mags, internals, .22lr conversions, sights, etc...)
Resale
Pretty good trigger

Pretty much the only beef I have with the glock is sometimes I feel like I've got a handful of legos... "Line up the front lego with the back legos...", you know, the blocky grip thing.

I loved how the m&p felt, just not the trigger... Other than the trigger and the lack of cheap parts relative newness to the market, it was great and I wouldn't mind one.

Having said that, my next 9mm will probably be a Steyr MA1 9mm... That's a fun little gun, even if there aren't parts around for it, and no one ever talks about em... That or a Norninco 1911 if I run across one for cheap...

Heh... Just buy em all, sort it out later... :D

C4IGrant
08-18-08, 07:59

Guide Rod, frame construction, ergonomics, don't have to pull the trigger to break down the pistol, etc.

C4

Alpha Sierra
08-18-08, 18:08

1) Field stripping an M&P takes 30 seconds if you are slow. Just about anything that fits through the ejection port can flip down the sear release. I usually use my car key. O/W just pull the trigger like a Glock.

2) My M&P9c fires just fine without a magazine in it. It even says so on the side of the slide.

Beat Trash
08-18-08, 19:04
I own several Glock 9mm's. The Glock 19 is by far my favorite Glock pistol. I carried this gun off duty for about the last 6 years.

I was issued a full sized M&P 9mm about 2.5 years ago. Our department in SW Ohio has about 1,200 of them in the field. The M&P's a great gun. The more I shoot them, the more I like them.

I have started carrying either a M&P9c or my issued M&P full size while off duty. This is only because I have found that although I can shoot my Glock 19 well, I can shoot the M&P a little better. I find that the M&P is a tiny bit more accurate, and my split times are faster with the M&P.

It's hard for me to put my Glock 19 up, as it's been a faithful friend over the years.

To the OP trying to compare the Glock 19 with the M&P, I would strongly suggest you shoot both guns, side by side. Get whichever one YOU shoot best. Both are great guns.

Am I the only one amazed at the amount of replies in this thread reference the additional few seconds required to field strip the M&P vs. the Glock 19?

If flicking that tiny lever with an ink pin, car key, ect. adds so time to the field stripping process that it would dissuade one from buying the M&P pistol, then I'm at a loss for words...

Alpha Sierra
08-18-08, 21:55
If flicking that tiny lever with an ink pin, car key, ect. adds so time to the field stripping process that it would dissuade one from buying the M&P pistol, then I'm at a loss for words...

And to think that using the sear release is optional!