PDA

View Full Version : LaRue Tactical Stealth 5.56 Barrels opinions

mjpgolf1
11-22-15, 21:05
I'm putting together a custom build AR and I'm getting ready to order a barrel. I did some searching and couldn't find much in the way of recent reviews on this barrel and was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to how this would hold up on a general purpose AR that will see range time and play its role as a home defense weapon. I was originally looking at the PSA Premium 5.56 16" barrel to use because I had heard good things and the price is outstanding. At this time the parts I have so far for this build are:
Spikes Tactical BCG full auto
Spikes Tactical Lower
Spikes Tactical Upper
BCM buffer tube
Giessele G2S trigger
KNS anti roll pin setup
BCM KMR 15" rail
BCM low profile gas block

So I'm wondering how you guys think this barrel would match up with these parts. LaRue has a great sale on these right now so that is what caught my attention. If you don't think this would be a good fit then any other suggestions would be welcome. I currently have a Ruger AR556 that I bought as my first AR this past year to get familiar with the platform. The Ruger is now customized with Magpul furniture, Troy 15" alpha rail, Troy low pro gas block, spikes full auto BCG, Giessele G2S trigger, BCM gunfighter mod 4 charging handle, Vortex Strikefire II with Vortex 3x Magnifier, and a few other goodies. The Ruger shoots extremely well and got me hooked on the AR platform. Thanks in advance for any info.

ColtSeavers
11-22-15, 21:20
General purpose rifle?
http://www.ar15performance.com/inc/sdetail/11562/20639

$179 including shipping (as of this post).

Not saying there's anything wrong with the LaRue or PSA premium, just not what I would choose if given options.

GH41
11-23-15, 06:17
At the sale price of $199 I'd have to try the Larue barrel.

mjpgolf1
11-23-15, 07:49
At the sale price of $199 I'd have to try the Larue barrel.

That's what my thinking was. The only hold back is that I can't find any specs on the barrel. The website only has a general write up and not the materials used and specific info on the barrel itself.

I will say that the AR Performance barrel listed above is interesting as well.

samuse
11-23-15, 09:37
Stealth barrels are some of the best barrels you can get.

I personally owned a 20" Stealth barrel that was a ridiculous good shooter with most any ammo. I've shot a couple of 16"s that were the same.

ColtSeavers
11-23-15, 09:59
That's what my thinking was. The only hold back is that I can't find any specs on the barrel. The website only has a general write up and not the materials used and specific info on the barrel itself.

I will say that the AR Performance barrel listed above is interesting as well.

Quick half-arsed search turns up this about larue barrels:

barrels: Unless you request bead-blasted stainless, our barrels arrive ION Bonded in black. Ion Bond coating is roughly 5-millionths of an inch thick and roughly 90 Rockwell in hardness (harder than hard-chrome). It won't chip, peel, corrode, and is heat-resistant to over 1200 degrees Fahrenheit. LaRue Stealth Barrels are Wylde-chambered in 5.56mm, 1-in-8 twist polygonal rifling in medium-weight contour using LW-50 Stainless. In the late 1980's, it was realized that there were erosion and short barrel-life problems with 416 Stainless in the calibers operating at 65K psi. 410 Stainless also had issues. LW-50 became the answer. LW-50 lacks sulphur, which in high quantity, created short throat-life in other Stainless Steels. LW-50 can also be heat-treated to a point that makes it near-optimal in all forms of rifle barrels. LW-50 has been proven for over 15 years, in military and civilian uses ranging from sniper, tactical, target, and other high-performance applications where long life and accuracy are critical

Found here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?56718-LaRue-Tactical-Stealth-Sniper-System-16-quot-barrell-with-a-10-quot-handguard

Half-arsed google search turns up similar.

mjpgolf1
11-23-15, 11:44
Quick half-arsed search turns up this about larue barrels:

Found here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?56718-LaRue-Tactical-Stealth-Sniper-System-16-quot-barrell-with-a-10-quot-handguard

Half-arsed google search turns up similar.

Thank you for the info. The LaRue is definitely looking better and better.

ColtSeavers
11-23-15, 12:07
At $199 sale price, the Larue barrel is a great deal as well and is a greatly respected barrel. Go with whatever barrel you want, don't let the 'what-if' monster haunt you.

mjpgolf1
11-23-15, 12:43
LaRue Stealth 5.56 16" barrel is ordered. No turning back now. The LaRue name has a great reputation from what I've read so I'm sure I made a good choice. Thanks for all the help guys.

Rekkr870
11-23-15, 12:53
LaRue Stealth 5.56 16" barrel is ordered. No turning back now. The LaRue name has a great reputation from what I've read so I'm sure I made a good choice. Thanks for all the help guys.
Cool man. I ordered one of their barrels the other day to go on my new recce build. The thing screams quality. We'll see what kind of groups I can get soon enough. I also picked up one of those MBT triggers. I'm excited to compare it to my Geissele products. At $199 you cannot buy a better barrel. Hell, at $495 I'm still not sure if you can find better stuff.

Let's us know how you like your new barrel.

Coal Dragger
11-23-15, 13:26
So they're on sale for what they really should be marketed at already? I might have to pick one up as a spare.

mjpgolf1
11-23-15, 16:17
So they're on sale for what they really should be marketed at already?

Kind of a dig there no?

Good quality AR barrels are pricey. Trust me I've spent the better part of the summer looking into all kinds of different setups and to find high quality for even under $300 is tough.

ColtSeavers
11-23-15, 17:09
Kind of a dig there no?

Good quality AR barrels are pricey. Trust me I've spent the better part of the summer looking into all kinds of different setups and to find high quality for even under $300 is tough.

In no particular order off the top of my head;

Ballistic Advantage
Aero Precision
Green Mountain
White Oak Armament
Mega Arms
Black Hole Weaponry
AR15 Performance
Sionics Weapon Systems
Faxon Firearms
Rainier Arms

ETA: You'll be fine with your Larue barrel, be happy you got what you wanted at a great price.

Coal Dragger
11-23-15, 19:18
That list is a good start, you can also add Daniel Defense to the list of good barrels too.

I've also heard good things about Criterion Barrels shooting very very well.

Tzook
11-24-15, 03:32
No stealth experience, but I have a PredatAR that is ridiculously accurate. I'm not sure there's a better barrel out there than Larue.

tom12.7
11-24-15, 18:32
The precision capabilities of a barrel are mutually exclusive to the operation in a suitable range for a barrel. Not saying that the two cannot overlap, as they can, but there's many things to consider overall as the two can work well enough together, it can be considered a balance of sort.
Looking into some specifics, a $199 barrel may or may not suit the needs that are required. If it was for myself, as a consumer now, I would look into it to in more depth than a price point in general.

ColtSeavers
11-24-15, 19:01
OP, glad you got the barrel you had your heart set on at a great price.

tom12.7
11-24-15, 19:22
That can be a good question. "What barrel can suit that end user use most effectively for that dedicated role?". Or what barrels can do that and fit their role in use?
How can the operational span or use contribute to this, in a positive manner?
How can precision or possibilities of contribute to this , in a positive manner?
There are many more questions than this. The point being that the end use justifies the merit of the component.

mjpgolf1
11-24-15, 21:58
OP, glad you got the barrel you had your heart set on at a great price.

Thanks.

I didn't want to over think this whole purchase as this gun will more than likely only see a few thousand rounds at the range over the years and I am certainly not a navy seal that will be using this gun for combat. I simply wanted the best bang for my buck in a quality product that will outlast anything I will ever throw at it while still being accurate enough that it's fun to shoot. I believe I got that with the LaRue and I hope to report back with nothing but good news.