PDA

View Full Version : Scope for Larue build - SWFA 1x6 vs. Burris 1.5 x 8, or any other recommendations

cosmo223
11-23-15, 15:18
Hi, thought I'd get some advice for an AR I'm putting together. Will be a Larue 14.5 Stealth upper (with pinned muzzle brake) on a lower I'm going to build myself. I have a couple of other AR's and will use this for shooting from 50-300 yards (either off the bench or prone, sitting and offhand). Would like a variable power scope somewhere between 1x6 and 2x10. I'd like to keep the cost under $1,000, but would be willing to spend a little more if I got a big step up in performance. I have a SWFA 1x4 on another gun, and it's a nice scope for the money, but I'd love to step up to at least 6x and HD glass. I'm interested in any recommendations people might have and would be particularly interested in anyone with firsthand experience with either the SWFA 1x6 or the Burris 1.5x8. Thanks.

FlyingHunter
11-23-15, 19:11
Leupold VX 1-6 w red dot. Lightweight, very good glass, reliable (withstands SCAR 17 diet). I actually bought a second one for my SBR.

JackFanToM
11-25-15, 08:47
Vortex razor HD - a bit heavy but excellent glass

cosmo223
11-25-15, 09:01
Thanks JackFanTom, I actually have a Vortex Razor HD on another gun and have definitely been considering it as well. My only hesitation is that the Vortex is pretty heavy and a little more money than I wanted to spend. SWFA has their Black Friday sale coming up, so if I go in this direction I'm hoping I'd be able to pick up a Supersniper for about $400 less than a Vortex. Both have HD glass, so I don't think I'd be giving up a lot going this route. But I have no firsthand experience with either this particular Supersniper or the Burris, which is why I'm hoping for some feedback on these scopes.

SomeOtherGuy
11-25-15, 11:43
I've owned the SS 1-6x (and 1-4x) and the Razor 1-6x, and the Burris 1-5x (but not the 1.5-8x). The Razor is well ahead of the others, IMHO. Good glass, great field of view, very solid build quality. Yes, weight is a drawback. The SS 1-6x has decent glass but it didn't seem quite as good, and more importantly (1) field of view is rather small throughout the zoom range, and (2) the donut reticle blocks the outer FOV from 4x-5.9x so the scope is mostly useful below 4x or right at 6x, not in between.

The Burris 1-5x is a very good scope, and I would take it over the SS 1-6x, but not over the Razor (which costs considerably more). I can only extrapolate that the 1.5-8x would be similar in glass quality. That scope requires 34mm rings, btw. Those aren't hard to find any more, but not quite as common as 30mm.

For shooting out to 300 yards you could get by with just 4x magnification, and you might want to look at the Steiner Military 1-4x that is just $699 for a very good scope:

http://www.eurooptic.com/steiner1x-4x-24mm-3tr-rifle-scope.aspx

cosmo223
12-03-15, 11:00
Thanks for all the recommendations. Agree that the Razor is a terrific scope with great glass. Just more money than I want to spend and a little on the heavy side. Steiner sounds interesting, but I don't have any experience with the brand, and having used a 1x4 SWFA on another rifle, I kind of want the additional 2x magnification. Eventually went with the SWFA. I think the 1x is little more useful that 1.5x at the low end and I was able to pick up a SWFA scope for 25% off on Black Friday sale. Am already familiar with the reticle from my older SWFA 1x4 and actually like it. I envision using this scope either at 1x or at 6x, so not really worried about how the reticle works at other distances. Although occasionally I second guess myself and think I should have gone with the Burris.