PDA

View Full Version : Prismatic 1x scope & BUIS

Bullz
11-23-15, 15:57
I'm considering picking up a low cost 1x prismatic scope for a beater rifle. Range, truck, backup for classes, etc. Looking at the Vortex Spitfire 1x and I have a couple questions for those with experience:

1) With the etched reticle, how important are BUIS on a 1x scope?

- I'm thinking not terribly important since the reticle is still there even if the battery power goes down.

2) Re: Eye relief. Specs say 3.7" eye relief. How close will this function like an aimpoint? Specifically what I'm wondering is if my eye is farther back than that, will I have a similar effect to a magnified optic or will it perform more like a red dot since it's 1x?

Digital_Damage
11-23-15, 16:11
I'm considering picking up a low cost 1x prismatic scope for a beater rifle. Range, truck, backup for classes, etc. Looking at the Vortex Spitfire 1x and I have a couple questions for those with experience:

1) With the etched reticle, how important are BUIS on a 1x scope?

- I'm thinking not terribly important since the reticle is still there even if the battery power goes down.

2) Re: Eye relief. Specs say 3.7" eye relief. How close will this function like an aimpoint? Specifically what I'm wondering is if my eye is farther back than that, will I have a similar effect to a magnified optic or will it perform more like a red dot since it's 1x?

Pro:
If it is quality like Leupold it will have better image quality (no distortion, shift or magnification) than any red dot.
Much closer to a "true" 1x, it is impossible to have a true 1x with an optic that has an objective and eye lenses.
If the battery dies in daylight you will not have an issue.

Con:
You will not be able to use a magnifier behind the optic due to limited eye relief envelope.
eye relief envelope is limited, but I would not worry to much about it.
Parallax for +100y shots could become problematic, but a red dot will be worse.
Will be larger than most red dots