PDA

View Full Version : SINGLE stage trigger for 'SPR'/precision build?

ColtSeavers
11-23-15, 18:30
I am in the process of building an 'SPR'/Precision AR. I am not a fan of two stage triggers. Nothing wrong with them, just not my 'thing'.

So, the questions; does anyone else use a single stage trigger for precision work? Does it work well for you? What trigger do you use/like?

I am looking at splurging on a Rise Armament 535 trigger due to the trigger shape, purported crisp and clean pull and break as well as being 'standard' drop in/cassette installation. Does anyone have any experience with this trigger?

Mars attacks...
11-23-15, 21:37
In my limited experience I prefer a single stage to two stage for all shooting, including precision shooting.

johnson
11-23-15, 22:46
I'm using an ALG ACT for my precision AR and like it. I've had Geissele triggers in the past and although nice, my group sizes stayed the same when shooting from a bench. Maybe a nice trigger will make a difference when on a timer in the field with elevated heart rate, etc. but right now I'm content with the $65 trigger.

This was at 160 yards on an 8" gong from last week. I'm heading out again tomorrow and will see about shooting further now that I borrowed a range finder.

http://i.imgur.com/NWM3zfL.jpg

Auto-X Fil
11-24-15, 06:16
The Timney and Rise triggers are good and crisp, but necessarily heavy. A two-stage trigger can be much lighter in a semi-auto, which is why essentially all precision-shooting competitors use them. 4-5lb is not awful, but it's not match-grade, either. If you are considering a 4-5lb trigger for your use anyway, like an SSA, then yeah, go ahead and try the Rise trigger! I've heard good things about install and pull, although not shot one myself. If you want a serious competition-type trigger, I think a Geissele Match trigger would make you happier, even if you're used to light bolt-gun triggers.

coolcraigster
11-26-15, 13:52
I have a cmmg, black rain, and geissele dmr. As far as best single stage, the black rain trigger is very nice. A little smoother and lighter than the cmmg.

ryantx23
11-26-15, 14:10
Try one of Sionics Weapon Systems new S.E.T. triggers. They are comparable to the ALG ACT and are very nice. They are having a black friday and cyber monday sale too if I am not mistaken.

bp7178
11-26-15, 14:32
I was always a fan of the Geissele Super 3-Gun for this role. Its a single stage with a very smooth press and a clean break. 4lbs nominal weight.

tb-av
11-26-15, 19:42
Have you looked at that Hyperfire 24C. It's really expensive but SS and weight adjustable. Never seen it mentioned here but all the reviews seem to really like it. I watched some videos and it seems to me, not that I know what I'm talking about, but it seesm to me like a well thought out deal.

https://www.hiperfire.com/product/hipertouch24c/

Malig8r
11-26-15, 19:47
I've been very happy with my MechArmor Defense single stage trigger. They have a 3# pull and feel really nice. I think they may be a rebranded Velocity trigger but don't quote me.

TAZ
11-26-15, 20:36
I have a McCormick match trigger in my SPR type rifle. Got a great deal on one so that was my only reason for the choice. It has been a great trigger. 3.5# on the dot, with a super crisp and predictable break.

ColtSeavers
11-27-15, 17:00
Thank you for the replies and suggestions. As for the 'improved mil spec' trigger recommendations, I already use ALG ACTs in all of my ARs, so I do not think I will be going that route. I will look into the other triggers though.