PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on Daniel Defense 16" M4 profile barrel

Bret
11-26-15, 09:08
I'm getting together parts for a 16" build and am now focused on the barrel. I want a good quality barrel at a good price. I found this 16" M4 profile Daniel Defense barrel for $150.
https://www.westernsport.com/product/daniel-defense-16-m4-cold-hammer-forged-barrel-carbine-length-stripped/#tab-description
Daniel Defense seems to have a good reputation from what I've read. The price almost seems too good to be true. Am I missing something here? Are there better barrels in this price range?

BillyJack556
11-26-15, 09:26
That is a quality barrel but do you really need that much unnecessary weight up front?
Look at the Faxon line of Melonite finished barrels offered in several profile choices in that price range.
There is a Faxon thread on here you can check out. I have 3 of their barrels and they are top quality.

wigbones
11-26-15, 09:56
I've got a 16" CHF Daniel Defense barrel that has been great for me. A bit over gassed but it now has an adjustable gas block. That's a great price.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-26-15, 10:39
I'm getting together parts for a 16" build and am now focused on the barrel. I want a good quality barrel at a good price. I found this 16" M4 profile Daniel Defense barrel for $150.
https://www.westernsport.com/product/daniel-defense-16-m4-cold-hammer-forged-barrel-carbine-length-stripped/#tab-description
Daniel Defense seems to have a good reputation from what I've read. The price almost seems too good to be true. Am I missing something here? Are there better barrels in this price range?

That's a really good price on the DD barrel. DD makes outstanding products, and their CS is some of the best in the industry. If I were in the market for a barrel, I wouldn't hesitate. You'd be really lucky to find a cold hammer forged milspec barrel in that price range, unless it was PSA using a FN barrel.

Bret
11-26-15, 12:16
That is a quality barrel but do you really need that much unnecessary weight up front?
No. I do wish that it had a pencil profile instead of the M4 profile, but at that price I decided to go ahead and get one.

Thanks everyone for your help.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-26-15, 20:36
No. I do wish that it had a pencil profile instead of the M4 profile, but at that price I decided to go ahead and get one.

Thanks everyone for your help.

That little bit of weight saving isn't worth passing up the deal.

Bret
11-30-15, 18:50
It arrived today and looks good. Pretty fast service.
http://s10.postimg.org/kq8tfvk5l/DSCN0290.jpg

JimT
11-30-15, 19:28
Nice. I was debating as to whether or not to purchase that barrel.

Did Daniel Defense dimple it for a gas block?

Hwikek
11-30-15, 19:30
I've had vertical POI shift with the DD pencil barrel but it is only noticeable at 100 yards where the stringing is enough to move a group around 3 inches along the positive vertical axis. Once the barrel cools down the rifle shoots at the original zero. When shooting at 25 yards or less I didn't notice any difference off hand. I can't say if this is representative of the pencil barrels or if the M4 barrels suffer the same issue if that issue exists.

Bret
11-30-15, 20:14
Did Daniel Defense dimple it for a gas block?
No, it's smooth all the way around the barrel other than the gas port hole.

JimT
11-30-15, 21:28
^^^^^

Thanks for the response. Bore look nice, and clean?

Bret
11-30-15, 21:34
It looks perfect to me. The chrome lining at the muzzle is perfectly symmetrical.

JimT
11-30-15, 21:40
Looks like you won! Now build her up!

STF
12-07-15, 10:03
What a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk