LoveAR
11-26-15, 19:17
Trying to decide between the BCM Alpha or DD Lite III

LoveAR
11-26-15, 21:48
16" mid-length gassed barrel and FSB

dmd08
11-26-15, 22:46
They aren't that similar. Looks like you need to decide if you want lots of rail or direct attach capability. Me? I'd go for the Alpha.

joeyjoe
11-28-15, 00:40
DD Lite III is the best rail on the market, imho. Relatively compact profile (no more "I-beam" feel), well machined, extremely robust rail/bolt-up system, and weighs in at just over 13 ounces for a 12", free float quad rail.
In addition to owning a DD Lite III BCM upper, I also own a KMR BCM upper. The BCM w/ Lite III is my go to gun. Don't get me wrong, if I were in the market for more keymod, id definitely go KMR (or KMR-A). However, the only thing I like about keymod is the weight savings (and, admittedly, that's a fairly big plus). I'm just not a fan of the actual keymod system and the rails, while being strong for what they are, just aren't nearly as strong as something like the DD Lite III. The fact that the KMR-A is a few ounces heavier than the regular KMR, that makes the decision even easier. Both are good rails, but DD LITE III is my choice...almost every time.

dmd08 makes a good point. The rails are quite different from one another. Figure out which direction you want to go and pick one of the two. Lite III and the KMR are both best in class, imo.

vicious_cb
11-28-15, 02:22
As a long time user of DD rails, owning both the M4 and Lite rail, I would go for the KMR. There are some features of the Lite rail III Im not a big fan of particularly the fact that the rails dont extend all the way out to the front except on top. The 3 and 9 o'clock positions are taken up by extra QD sockets which I will never use adding extra weight up front and cost. Id rather have an extra 2-3 rail slots to mount my light further up on the rail. Do we really need 4 QD sockets DD? Their SLIM rail has only 2 and they're perfectly placed.

Not to mention the cost, their shortest length rail is over $300 whereas a KMR-A can be had for under $200.

Iraqgunz
11-28-15, 03:55
Since no one has asked. Exactly what are you hanging on there? I'll be quite honest. I have one AR with standard handguards and one with a drop in KAC RIS. I probably don't need rails per se, or at least complicated ones. My lights are almost all at 12 on the rail, I use a stubby grip of some sort and that's it.

The KMR is a good rail and unless you plan on bashing zombies in the face or dropping it from the Trump Tower you will be more than happy with the KMR.

Bullz
11-28-15, 16:58
Iraqgunz:

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I'm in a very similar position... I just picked up a Colt M4 OEM (6920 with no furniture and a shaved FSB). I'm looking for a rail and currently between the KMR and Centurion C4. Totally different systems. I'm looking at the C4 because I don't have to mess with the factory assembly. The KMR because I have other rifles with it and it's great.

I will mount the following to whichever rail... front sight, light at the 12 o'clock position in front of the sight, and a stubby vertical grip. KISS rifle for the most part

So similar question... Which do you think would serve better, Keymod or quadrail?

This is what I got:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6920-OEM2

Already had all the other pieces: stock, sights, grip, trigger guard, etc... just need a rail/handguard.

Iraqgunz
11-28-15, 23:41
If weight is a concern, then KeyMod. If you don't have the ability to remove the FSB, barrel nut, etc... then the C4 may be a better choice since it would literally drop on to the current upper with no major work involved.

Iraqgunz:

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I'm in a very similar position... I just picked up a Colt M4 OEM (6920 with no furniture and a shaved FSB). I'm looking for a rail and currently between the KMR and Centurion C4. Totally different systems. I'm looking at the C4 because I don't have to mess with the factory assembly. The KMR because I have other rifles with it and it's great.

I will mount the following to whichever rail... front sight, light at the 12 o'clock position in front of the sight, and a stubby vertical grip. KISS rifle for the most part

So similar question... Which do you think would serve better, Keymod or quadrail?

This is what I got:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LE6920-OEM2

Already had all the other pieces: stock, sights, grip, trigger guard, etc... just need a rail/handguard.

titsonritz
11-29-15, 16:04
If weight isn't a concern, then KeyMod.

I'm sure Iraqgunz meant, "If weight is a concern, then KeyMod"

The longest C4 rail is 12" with a total weight of 15.3oz, the KMR-A is a total of 9.9oz on a 13” rail and a total of 10.3oz on a 15” rail

LoveAR
11-29-15, 19:29
I am a civilian interested in light weight and the durability of the FSB. I would only add a light. Otherwise, I am home defense and a target shooter.

BH321
11-29-15, 19:56
I am a civilian interested in light weight and the durability of the FSB. I would only add a light. Otherwise, I am home defense and a target shooter.With that being the case , then I would recommend the BCM Alpha, simply due to the design and potential additional weight savings from the Keymod accessories' mounts.

Uprange41
11-29-15, 20:06
I am a civilian interested in light weight and the durability of the FSB. I would only add a light. Otherwise, I am home defense and a target shooter.
KMR it is.

teutonicpolymer
11-29-15, 20:25
The DD lite III is pretty expensive...

LoveAR
11-29-15, 22:01
KMR it is.

Thanks...I thought the same. ;)

Bullz
11-30-15, 06:18
I'm sure Iraqgunz meant, "If weight is a concern, then KeyMod"

The longest C4 rail is 12" with a total weight of 15.3oz, the KMR-A is a total of 9.9oz on a 13” rail and a total of 10.3oz on a 15” rail

Yeah, I kind of assumed that's what he meant. And maybe Iraqgunz can comment on the following (not sure if it's worth a new thread):

I was scanning around and found this rail made by Fortis called the REV II. 14" rail weighs 9.3 oz, has QD sockets built in, and similar modularity to the KMR, but clamps on and installs like the C4. So it seems to have the ease of install of the C4 with the weight/modularity benefits of the KMR. This would be perfect for me.

Does anyone have any experience with this rail? Is it up to snuff? I can't seem to find some credible freedback on it.

ncshooter18
11-30-15, 20:26
Just got my BCM upper with KMR-A 13 and it is very nice.

LoveAR
11-30-15, 21:27
So that this was not left hanging...I went with the BHF 16" KMR-A with a FSB. A nice surprise was that it was discounted 15% on Cyber Monday. I appreciate the feedback.

joeyjoe
12-01-15, 08:59
should be a great upper group. enjoy!
By the by, although I voted for the DD Lite III rail, im rather surprised that the voting was so close between the two rails. I figured the kmr would crush the lite III. Nice to see some love for a quality quad rail. But again, both rails are solid.