PDA

View Full Version : Beasts of No Nation

Boba Fett v2
11-28-15, 01:50
If you haven't seen this movie, you should.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-28-15, 07:16
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beasts_of_no_nation/

90/94% on Rotten Tomatoes, that is usually a good sign. Idris Alba can make good movies.

In West Africa, the life of young Agu (Abraham Attah) is disrupted when his father is slaughtered in a civil war and he is inscripted as a child soldier into a mercenary unit led by the sadistic Commandant (Idris Elba).

Alex V
11-28-15, 07:21
Saw the preview on IMDB a few months back. Now it's on Netflix. Will check it out.

cinco
11-28-15, 08:43
Agree, it was a very good movie that draws you in. Tons of action, good acting and good story line. Surprised the movie went as fast as it did - I think it was 2+ hours long.

Rekkr870
12-04-15, 12:53
I just watched the film. Wow, what an excellent film. Idris Elba is an outstanding actor but I believe the boy who played "Agu" was the real gem in this one. Definitely a sobering film.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

sevenhelmet
12-04-15, 14:20
[url]
90/94% on Rotten Tomatoes, that is usually a good sign.

Have to be careful with ratings much over 90% though, sometimes that just indicates a cult following (which is fine if you are part of it.) I thought Snowpiercer was a shoo-in with 98% RT rating, but I absolutely hated it.

That said, I'll look into this one more, it sounds interesting.

Bulletdog
12-04-15, 14:29
Okay. I'll be the voice of dissent…

I watched it the day this thread first posted. I hated it. Story was pretty lame, and I had a tough time understanding everything the boy said.

I did not move me, except off of the couch when it was done. Sorry.

Boba Fett v2
12-05-15, 09:58
Okay. I'll be the voice of dissent…

I watched it the day this thread first posted. I hated it. Story was pretty lame, and I had a tough time understanding everything the boy said.

I did not move me, except off of the couch when it was done. Sorry.

Hmmm... maybe it's because the movie is set in West Africa, where English is typically not their first language, and in order to give it some sense of realism the actors maintained heavy accents? You know they have something called closed-captioning for the hearing impaired, or better yet, subtitles for the non-American English challenged.

MountainRaven
12-05-15, 12:58
I thought it was OK. Not especially good, but not bad.

I didn't have a problem understanding what anybody was saying, so long as they were saying it in English.

Story is pretty much MacBeth, modern West African MacBeth, but from a different perspective than usual. A realization that makes me want to watch a movie that actually is modern West African/Sierra Leone MacBeth. Or maybe south African/Mugabe MacBeth. Or east Africa/Somali pirate MacBeth.

Honu
12-05-15, 13:47
OK to me not great not bad just in the middle ?
its whats going on in real life with less violence to the kids so was more like watching a expanded news clip or nat geo special