PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on Stag versus RRA Left Handed AR15s

QB Too
11-28-15, 19:27
I am going to purchased an AR15 and finally decided to go the DI route and I want a lefty. Since I'm going DI, I have 2 current choices, Stag or Rock River Arms.

I am going with the lefty upper because I want the left ejection port. It has nothing to do with the "controls" on the gun as I've shot right handed handguns and rifles all my life and could certainly add ambi parts (or none as the case may be). I now have major issues/sensitivities with my eyes and just no longer feel comfortable with a right ejection port and want to be a little more protective of my eyesight. Odds are I'd never have a problem with a right side ejection but knowing my luck.....well, I'm going with a left ejection port. If I was going to stay with a right ejection port I'd probably just buy a SCAR 16S and be done with it.

With that said, I've searched and searched and can't really find much feedback on the RRA LAR-15LH Lef-T model (I'd be getting the Elite Operator that has the mid-length gas system which I prefer or maybe the Coyote carbine model). My concern is that RRA LAR-15LH Lef-T models have parts that are NOT compatible with other manufacturers and their website states that the lef-t uppers can only go with lef-t lowers and visa versa. So basically I'd be stuck with a RRA AR15 with no ability to get a different manufacturer's upper/lower or parts. Plus I wanted to perhaps get a 300 BLK upper and suppress it at some future date and I don't see that as an option with the RRA Lef-T model.

Any feedback on the RRA LAR-15LH Lef-T and comments on the "proprietary" aspect of it? I don't know if Stag or RRA is better quality (I'd be getting the Stag PLUS package) but my gut tells me to buy Stag since it doesn't have a bunch of proprietary parts and I could mix and match if I wanted to and Stag sells a 300 BLK left hand upper also.

This is just a range gun and I'll also be shooting it at a friend's ranch.....but still, I'd like to buy the best gun I can, given that I want the left side ejection port (I know, some say the is NO good quality left handed AR15). If the RRA is superior to Stag (with plus package) for some reason then so be it, I'll take another look at it but I'm just not too sure I like being "restricted" to only RRA parts, etc.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

vandal5
11-28-15, 20:28
Hey QB,
Won't be able to comment on the quality of either really. My dad has a lefty Stag that I have used a few times. As far as I can tell there is nothing different with the lower compared to a right handed AR. He has an ambidextrous safety selector that came on his (bought used).

As for the upper, the ejection port is on the left side as can be seen pretty easily. From what I can see the bolt and carrier are set up backwards from a right handed setup, I don't think the barrel is any different so if you wanted to swap it out with one chambered in 300 blackout that should be possible.

The one thing I will warn you about is the charging handle. With the forward assist moved to the left side it is now on the same side as the latch for the charging handle. I caught my finger in between them pretty good the first time I used it. I would think an ambidextrous CH operated from the other side would cure the problem.

Good luck.

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

bfk4lyfe
11-28-15, 20:50
Buy a real upper and just get an ambi charging handle from bcm. Im a lefty and I 've never been hit in the face with brass or anything like that..

Lefty223
11-28-15, 21:04
FWIW I too shoot both lefty and righty ARs and never had had an issue - I'm left-handed.

I do love my Stag 6L w/ heavy 24" SS barrel! Using the std 69-grn SMK high power loading of Varget and she's printed 1/2" groups at 200-yds consistently, definitely 1/2 MOA (if not better) as is the guarantee for that rifle. A heavy one she is though ....

titsonritz
11-28-15, 22:15
I am another left-handed shooter recommending a standard AR with ambidextrous controls. I have Colt and BCM rifles setup the basically the same, both have AXTS Raptor Charging handles, the Colt has a Norgon Ambi-catch and AXTS Talon selector, the BCM has a Troy Ambi-mag release and BADASS selector. I prefer having the ejection port on the right for easy visual of the BCG/ejection port.

RazorBurn
11-28-15, 23:03
I am another left-handed shooter recommending a standard AR with ambidextrous controls. I have Colt and BCM rifles setup the basically the same, both have AXTS Raptor Charging handles, the Colt has a Norgon Ambi-catch and AXTS Talon selector, the BCM has a Troy Ambi-mag release and BADASS selector. I prefer having the ejection port on the right for easy visual of the BCG/ejection port.

Another lefty here agreeing with what others have stated. A couple of ambi controls that you don't exactly have to have, but make operation a little easier. Ambi charging handle and ambi safety are easy cheap upgrade to make it easier to operate for a lefty. Heck, most right handed AR shooters I know have an ambi safety.

Korgs130
11-28-15, 23:24
I prefer having the ejection port on the right for easy visual of the BCG/ejection port.

x 2. OP I'm a lefty as well and have my AR's set up similarly to Tits (Raptor Ambi Charging handle, Troy Ambi-mag release, BADASS selector). I've never and any issues. Being able to easily see the BCG and ejection port is a nice bonus.

I was in the same boat as you when I was getting started and seriously considered a Left-handed AR. Based on advice here, I went with a standard RH set with the above add ons. I'm glad I did. No regrets what so ever.

Iraqgunz
11-29-15, 00:45
People may want to re-read his post again.

It has nothing to do with the "controls" on the gun as I've shot right handed handguns and rifles all my life and could certainly add ambi parts (or none as the case may be). I now have major issues/sensitivities with my eyes and just no longer feel comfortable with a right ejection port and want to be a little more protective of my eyesight.

It sounds like he is more concerned with his eyesight than controls, etc..

To the OP. I wouldn't recommend either brands. But, lesser of the evils is the Stag Arms.

zackmars
11-29-15, 00:54
People may want to re-read his post again.

It has nothing to do with the "controls" on the gun as I've shot right handed handguns and rifles all my life and could certainly add ambi parts (or none as the case may be). I now have major issues/sensitivities with my eyes and just no longer feel comfortable with a right ejection port and want to be a little more protective of my eyesight.

It sounds like he is more concerned with his eyesight than controls, etc..

To the OP. I wouldn't recommend either brands. But, lesser of the evils is the Stag Arms.

If he is concerned with his eyesight, he should wear eye pro.

Ar15's aren't bullpups, they are extremely lefty friendly, even in stock form.

I'm right handed, but my dads a lefty, and he shoots a standard ar, and has never had a piece of brass in his face in the 20 years he's been shooting his

Iraqgunz
11-29-15, 01:24
You should probably direct it to him. I don't have the issue and am against left handed AR's.

If he is concerned with his eyesight, he should wear eye pro.

Ar15's aren't bullpups, they are extremely lefty friendly, even in stock form.

I'm right handed, but my dads a lefty, and he shoots a standard ar, and has never had a piece of brass in his face in the 20 years he's been shooting his

wilson1911
11-29-15, 03:20
I say get what gun you want, none of the left handed AR's are of that good of quality. But you are the one who will shoot it, not me. Your concerns are unfounded. Just understand that any gun can give you brass to the face. Please get some good eye protection....some cool guy glasses.

QB Too
11-29-15, 07:06
OK, looks like either brand is lower quality and no one posted anything about the RRA Lef-T. I am going to ditch the RRA Lef-T option since it's proprietary for the most part. Like I said, this is just a range gun and I'll probably shoot it a few times a year (my opthamologist doesn't really like me to shoot ARs all that much). So I guess I'll go Stag since I also want a 300 BLK to suppress.

By the way, I always wear good eye protection.

Thanks for all the comments.

MegademiC
11-29-15, 07:59
I'd get the stag.