PDA

View Full Version : Linking to article etiquette question

Nathan_Bell
08-06-08, 12:15
I belong to several forums, and all have from slightly to hugely different ROE. My question is what is M4C's approach to linking to off site information, articles, videos, commentary?

Some prefer a link and then for you, the poster, to summarize what the link goes to. Others will allow you to link and then cut a paste the intro or closing of the article linked to. A couple will not let you link at all.

I know M4C does not follow the last approach, but what is the preferred method?

C4IGrant
08-06-08, 12:29
I belong to several forums, and all have from slightly to hugely different ROE. My question is what is M4C's approach to linking to off site information, articles, videos, commentary?

Some prefer a link and then for you, the poster, to summarize what the link goes to. Others will allow you to link and then cut a paste the intro or closing of the article linked to. A couple will not let you link at all.

I know M4C does not follow the last approach, but what is the preferred method?

Good question. I know that I personally prefer the OP to cut and paste the article here instead of having people clink on links to whereever.

C4

CDDM416
08-06-08, 14:19
Good question. I know that I personally prefer the OP to cut and paste the article here instead of having people clink on links to whereever.

C4

I agree, If have to bounce around to other sites Ill just hit the back button and move on.

Joe Mamma
08-06-08, 18:45
I cut and paste the text, and also provide a link. I provide the link so people can verify the news source.

Joe Mamma

Jay Cunningham
08-06-08, 20:43
I cut and paste the text, and also provide a link. I provide the link so people can verify the news source.

Joe Mamma

That's what I do...

Gutshot John
08-07-08, 13:07

Joe Mamma

I prefer this as well, it's more "academic" especially with the person emphasizing relevant points in a citation that he/she find interesting.

I don't like it when people just give you a link to back up an argument without giving any context/indications of relevance.

The citation/link is equally important as it gives you a means with which to vet the information though the "link:" command. and review footnotes/bibliography (if available).