PDA

View Full Version : Best SPR suppressor?

CRAMBONE
12-01-15, 12:29
Im in the process of putting together an AR SPR, it will have an 18" match profile barrel with a rifle length gas system and SLR or Syrac adjustable gas block.
(of course with the the wife and kids and Christmas and trips and dr visits and...... It will probably be finished by 2040 and be obsolete by then, but I'm trying).

The suppressor I use on this rifle will probably be dedicated to only this rifle. I was thinking of using the SilencerCo Omega when I get it and just use a 5.56 end cap, but don't think that will give me the suppression I want and that can will be used for other rifles. I'm obviously looking for repeatability but suppression and accuracy first. I hope all that makes sense and thank you for any helpmyou guys give me.

daddyusmaximus
12-01-15, 13:26
I'm saving for a Surefire 7.62 mini right now. The small size is wanted for my SBR, but I will be using it on other rifles as well. I feel the smaller, lighter can is also what I would want if it were to go out on the end of a longer barrel.

dbain99
12-01-15, 15:04
Accuracy first, look no further than ThunderBeast.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

CRAMBONE
12-01-15, 15:10
I kind of thought that also, but I'm going with a fairly thick barrel and am really looking for suppression. And I figure if the can is always there the extra weight shouldn't be that much of an issue.

The guys at silencer shop recommended the Griffin SPR for this setup. Anyone have experience with them?

Renegade
12-01-15, 16:24
AAC SPR/M4 is the gold standard, but no longer made. Unlikely you will find one.

I would look at the Griffin SPR

CRAMBONE
12-01-15, 16:59
Yeah I don't think I'm gonna buy anymore AAC stuff. I'm gonna look into that Griffin.

mig1nc
12-01-15, 17:52
MAC tested the Griffin SPR, fast forward to 12:15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51cSzfn-WCo#!

Also, have you looked into the Allen Engineering cans?

Fatorangecat
12-03-15, 14:50
I have been thinking about exact same thing. Does anyone here have any thoughts on the SAS M47. I have read good things about the TOMB mount but different forums seem to have their pet vendors so I don't knowing what I'm reading is all that objective.

Turnkey11
12-04-15, 06:37
Why not a Allen Engineering AEM5, virtually the same as the Ops Inc can for the MK12 SPR?

http://www.aesuppressors.com/suppressors/AEM5.html

Fatorangecat
12-04-15, 10:48
I may be wrong, I'm still researching the subject but the AEM5/Ops Inc cans are older technology. If I were building a clone I would go that route but there are more modern designs that offer better performance. Once again I'm basing this off reviews, decibel readings, accuracy testing I have read online and have no personal objective experience.

mig1nc
12-04-15, 11:23
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That being said, the two piece mount is claimed to improve barrel harmonics.

I have one and can say it shoots very well.

I would love to see the design updated, but it is pretty damn good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Fatorangecat
12-04-15, 11:33
Lol! Who needs newer and better technology like red dots or polymers when we could be rocking the M1Garand. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a race to the bottom. If given the choice between old tech and newer baffle designs that eliminate FRP, stronger lighter materials, or less back pressure in to the weapon you can keep "if it ain't broke" and I will take innovation.

CRAMBONE
12-04-15, 14:36
Why not a Allen Engineering AEM5, virtually the same as the Ops Inc can for the MK12 SPR?

Because I don't want the two mounting or special barrel contour. And it's older technology there are newer options out there.

skatz11
12-04-15, 15:46
I think there's a reason there aren't many dedicated SPR suppressors.

I always planned on getting an Ops 12th for my SPR. I never got around to it, and just started using my SF 556 Socom on it.

PineRiverOutfitters
12-04-15, 16:05

+1

I have two of AEM5's. One is on a MK12 MOD 0 build and another I move around but is currently on a Colt 6920. Very good performance and customer service as well. I personally like them better than my 556-SD or 762-SD. I like that the reflex type mount doesn't increase OAL as much and they sound better to me. The AAC 51T is fine but it just doesn't feel as secure as the Ops type mount, especially on an SPR. Just my $.02

Mike

mig1nc
12-04-15, 17:10
Lol! Who needs newer and better technology like red dots or polymers when we could be rocking the M1Garand. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is a race to the bottom. If given the choice between old tech and newer baffle designs that eliminate FRP, stronger lighter materials, or less back pressure in to the weapon you can keep "if it ain't broke" and I will take innovation.
Yeah, i typed that first part tung in cheek. Still, they remain very good in my opinion. I am still happy with mine.

bp7178
12-04-15, 20:09
I have a Griffin SPR on the way. My form 4 was sent in and check cashed around the end of June, so it should be any time now.

I was looking for a design with a lot of overlap as to not extend the rifle too much. That left the AE and the SPR.

Quiet Riot
12-04-15, 20:51
I do not have a precision 556, but I do have a Wilson Combat 308 Super Sniper. The Dead Air Sandman L knocked about .2MOA off already tight groups. Not sure if it would tighten subcaliber groups just as much, but I am blown away by its performance on 308s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDrJnhnADYc

Fatorangecat
12-05-15, 01:01
Yeah, i typed that first part tung in cheek. Still, they remain very good in my opinion. I am still happy with mine.

I thought you were being serious. The Ops/AE can is proven and mounting over the barrel makes a nice compact package. I dont think its a bad can, just not the latest tech.

Koshinn
12-05-15, 02:19
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Everything can be improved and if no one tries, we'd still be using bow and arrows.

mig1nc
12-05-15, 09:56
Everything can be improved and if no one tries, we'd still be using bow and arrows.
I don't disagree. It would be awesome to get an ops 16th model that was made of inconel and roboticaly radial welded like the Sig SRD cans. It would be light, crazy accurate, and very low blow back.

coolcraigster
12-19-15, 16:13
Im in the same boat. I just finished building a precision rifle also. 20" 223 wylde barrel. Rifle is extremely accurate. I can almost put 3 rounds in the same hole at 100 yards if i do my part. Now im wanting to put a suppressor on it and have no idea what to get. Im mainly concerned about accuracy and suppression. It will be dedicated to this rifle only. Want something lighter weight. Quick detatch is not something i really care about. People keep recommending the Silencerco Omega with 5.56 cap. Suppose to be a really good suppressor but i have no experience with any suppressors so i cant give any info on it. I have heard some of the quick detatch setups will come loose after so many rounds or so but again i have no experience with any of them.

clschicago
12-22-15, 19:42
im gonna recommend the aem5 / ops inc 12th in 5.56 flavor.

coolcraigster
03-12-16, 11:54
Thunderbeast if accuracy if of utmost importance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

themonk
03-12-16, 12:50
Accuracy first, look no further than ThunderBeast.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

2nd this. ThunderBeast

LovelandSBR
03-14-16, 20:59
Been very pleased with my AAC M4-2000. Puts up with a ton of abuse

THEOZZ
03-30-16, 14:30
+1

I have two of AEM5's. One is on a MK12 MOD 0 build and another I move around but is currently on a Colt 6920. Very good performance and customer service as well. I personally like them better than my 556-SD or 762-SD. I like that the reflex type mount doesn't increase OAL as much and they sound better to me. The AAC 51T is fine but it just doesn't feel as secure as the Ops type mount, especially on an SPR. Just my $.02

Mike

I'm waiting on the stamp to pick up mine for a SPR MK12 Mod 1

308sako
04-15-16, 00:00

SPR-M4, is just awesome, buy once cry once...

Pappabear
04-15-16, 01:41
I'm a fan of m4-2000 's. I've had some for years and just found some for 600. Great price for great can. People talk about newer and better. On a SBR, you just want to twist it on and it work. It do that.

Sid Post
10-05-16, 14:40

SPR-M4, is just awesome, buy once cry once...

Where would find on to purchase these days?

Sid Post
10-05-16, 14:41
Does anyone have any user feedback on the Griffin SPR? How are their mounts? How they sound and group on a good SPR style upper?

plinkerr
11-23-16, 13:54
If your barrel is profiled for it then the AEM5 has my vote. If it's not profiled for an AEM5 then I'd probably lean towards the Griffin SPR if you're going for max SPRness, and maybe something lighter weight if you're not.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty invested in the "modern" designs from Surefire, SilencerCo, AAC, and Sig. I enjoy shooting my AEM5 the most.

ETA: Plenty of friends with cans from TB, Dead Air, Griffin, Gemtech, etc. All good cans in their own right, but I still like my AEM5.

bp7178
11-23-16, 18:37
Does anyone have any user feedback on the Griffin SPR? How are their mounts? How they sound and group on a good SPR style upper?

Slight shift when the can is on, typical with adding weight to the end of the barrel. The only ammo I tested it with was the 5.56 Mk262 CBC clone stuff. Accuracy was typical of the ammo; hovering just under 1 MOA.

Unless you're trying for an SBR type thing, I'd look to something with more versatility. If I had to do it over again I would have bought the Recce, just for that reason. According to GA, the SPR will have a bit less back pressure and noise than the Recce, but at the price of that end mount vs over the barrel design. The latter of which limits mounting options.

Pappabear
11-24-16, 18:03
It's pretty hard to buy a horrible can. TBAC is know for accuracy. Safe bet. I have AAC 7.62SDN and shot half inch groups all day long, for years. I've had great luck with the new Sig cans. SO buy whatever tickles your fancy and shoot your gun to its potential.

Good luck.

PB

david05111
11-27-16, 22:04
I just stuck my SPR/M4 on my MK12 Mod 1 build until I can buy an Allen Engineering and get it on there. Gotta be clone correct...

That said, a few friends have the OPS INC/ AE and I'm pretty excited to be able to test both side by side in the future.

The real fun part with the SPR/M4 is to try and track down one of the rare muzzle brakes for them. I bought a bunch of them a few years back and a few have been sitting in my drawer for a while. Every once in a while I've sold one. AAC should have made a lot more of them