PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight metal irons?

Djstorm100
12-03-15, 15:23
I've built a KISS rifle that is light as I can get it with out giving up ruggedness. I use DD front sight on my ARs and like it alot. I prefer metal than the plastic magpul, thinking in a "what if" case of breaking the magpul off. I do however use them with success.

With that being said my question is, is there irons that are lighter and as tough as DD? I've dropped my rifle by accident on a rock and it landed on the front sight. Didn't bend it or brake it. At the most it just scratched it up and some permanent marker fixed it. I've never ran their rear sight so I do not know how I would like it.

On my other rifle I have DD front and LWT rear for the ability to tune in for given distance. Red dot is 50 yard zero while the irons are 300 yard zero.

SteveL
12-03-15, 16:17
Do you want fixed or folding?

For folding Magpul Pros and KAC are as light as you'll find. As far as the polymer Magpuls they fared better than a lot of metal sights in a drop test.

Djstorm100
12-03-15, 16:48
Do you want fixed or folding?

For folding Magpul Pros and KAC are as light as you'll find. As far as the polymer Magpuls they fared better than a lot of metal sights in a drop test.

Really? I search for drop test and etc but couldn't find anything concrete.

Fixed is fine. I run my aimpoints at lower 1/3 cowitness.

Iraqgunz
12-03-15, 17:00
Search back up iron sights. Multiple threads on the subject.

ColtSeavers
12-03-15, 17:03

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?108620-Back-Up-Iron-Sight-drop-test

Note that the mbus tested do not lock in the up position and that is call for many to believe it is why they faired better than the locking metal sights.

As far as light weight fixed irons go, I don't believe you can go wrong with Daniel Defense.

GH41
12-03-15, 17:29
The DD fixed are lighter than the folding MP Pros by almost 1/2 oz.

zackmars
12-03-15, 18:06
fixed, DD A1.5, weigh in at about 1.7 oz