PDA

View Full Version : Noveske N6 vs GAP vs JP LRP-07

DHC45
08-06-08, 23:48
I have been in the planning stages of a precision rifle acquisition for some time but recently started seriuously considering the AR-10 platforms. I'm still not 100% sold on going this route but with the upcoming election and the draconian possibilities that might follow, I'm looking more seriously at acquiring one just to have it. I don't think I'd ever be a serious competitor in precision bolt actions as I just don't have the patience (yet), so the AR-10 might be my final "precision rifle". At least for a couple years...

I know Noveske makes a great rifle as I have an N4. I've also heard great things about GA Precision but read very little on this forum about their AR-10. What I have read has been positive. I am very intrigued by the JP LRP-07 with the side charging handle. I've heard the 22" version is very accurate out to 600 yards. Additionally, I have a (former) SWAT buddy who carried a JP AR-15 variant for perimeter overwatch and loved it. They are used by several shooters in the Army Marksmanship Unit, and obviously CSM(ret) Kyle Lamb likes their products as well.

When it comes to price, the GAP is the best deal as far as I can tell except for the lack of a muzzle brake that I'd probably have installed (or thread the barrel for a suppressor). I also have a hard time justifying the extra $1K (MSRP) over the GAP for the N6, though I know it is worth the money. I just don't think I have the budget for it now. I have toyed with buying an upper and then try to find a decent lower to mate it to... If I decide to drop the greenbacks, price might dictate the GAP in the end but I keep going back to the JP site to look at that LRP-07...

What this all boils down to is I am interested in hearing feedback about each platform I listed from the experienced AR-10 shooters out there: pros & cons based on real experience and facts. Please include feedback on the magazines as part of the discussion since they are critical in platform performance. I'm not interested in rumornet hear-say, or the one sentence responses of "buy X" or "Y sucks", or the emotional responses that brand-loyalty brings.

Thanks in advance for your time.

DHC
<><

kopfjager
08-07-08, 06:44
I RECENTLY PURCHASED A NOVESKE N-6 21,"AND WHAT A ........

4) Contact The Manufacturer or Dealer First – Internet forums have a large global audience and unsubstantiated or ill-informed comments will affect the livelihoods of a lot of hard working people in the industry. If you have an issue with a manufacturer or dealer that you would like to resolve, we ask that your first contact them to resolve it.

--edited by gotm4

SethB
08-07-08, 06:49
Interesting first post.

JBRIII
08-07-08, 14:39
I have an AR-10 on order from GAP. I have been researching this for about 6 months and after a lot of deliberations that is what I chose. I shot their Rock and Crusader Bolt Guns and loved them. If you e-mail George he will take the time to answer all of your questions and give you some sound advice. That is one of the major reasons I went with them. He always anwered, even the most minute detailed question.

I went with a DPMS upper and lower beause of mag availability and reliability, a 22" Bartlein Barrel, and the DD Forend. I should have it in about 2 months or so. Going to mount a Mk4 M1 3.5 - 10 Ill. M.D. on it.

Good luck with your decision,

John

DHC45
08-07-08, 15:49
Thanks John, that's good info. I'll drop George an email. They were on my "top 3" for a precision bolt as well.
Dave

was21
08-07-08, 15:53
I have one of GAP George's AR10 builds with a 22" Schneider 4R barrel and the Badger Ordnance forend. Comparing it to my GAP m40 build it does take a little more 'driver' concentration to run as well as the bolt gun. Follow through is much more critical on the gas gun , but when you get it right it will run 1/2 minute.

If I were to do it over again [and may change it in the near future] I would definitely go with a lighter forend [DD or LaRue] as the Badger is too heavy for my liking.

I am also considering shortening up the barrel to maybe 19" for a little better balance. I think it will still be GTG to 1K with the 175 smk's , definitely GTG with the 155 scenars.

I run mostly some early 10 rd mags that have served well. I also have some first gen 20rd mags that are GTG. What I have done that seems to help mine is remove the bolt hold 'button' and spring out of my followers to reduce the drag inside the mag body. I have also converted standard m14 mags w/ good success before the Armalites were avail. in qty. The 2nd gen Armalite mags are GTG.

As another has stated, George at GAP will answer w/ good info , you won't be disappointed with GAP.

good luck with your quest....better hurry though!!

FWIW hope this helps

Wes in AZ

DHC45
08-08-08, 02:45
Thanks for the info Wes! Good info!

I have been going back and forth on barrel length myself. Was figuring the 18" would be the best of both worlds, giving me adequate accuracy but still be maneuverable. Good point on the DD, too. I thought the BO looked heavy but didn't know what it was made of.

I've been trying to decide if I'd want to get my mags modified or just buy some already modified. That may end up being the route I go just to ensure reliability...

Dave

was21
08-11-08, 14:08
I was going to do 19" based on the velocities that I am presently getting at
22". I was trying to leave a little fudge factor for staying supersonic at 1K. Some barrels/loads might make it w/18".

The B.O. handguard is aluminum but IIRC when I asked Marty Badger he said they go 1# 10 oz. , good kit but I'm going to go lighter for the balance.

You would probably be better off just using the Armalite Gen II's.
At the time that I was kitting up , any Armalite mags were hard to come by and they were still doing the conversions on M14 mags. Being the cheap bastard that I am it was worth it to me to convert some myself!! I also had a ton of the M14 mags.
IF you decide to do your own, go slow and pay attention to cleaning up the interiors/followers and the mag lips.

Much easier to get the Gen II's!!!!

Good luck

Wes

DHC45
08-12-08, 01:44
Thanks Wes! I imagine there wouldn't be much difference in maneuverability with 19" versus 18", but probably noticeable velocity and performance differences. Personally, I'm not sure how far I want to push shooting with an AR platform. In a year or two I would like to get into bolt guns and start playing around with long range marksmanship. That's to be seen, though...

Everything I read on the DD rails sounds great! I'll end up putting those on another rifle or two at this point, anyway.

Understand on the Gen II mags. I'm still torn as to whether I'd want an Armalite based rifle or a DPMS based rifle. A lot of pros and cons both ways from what I've read online... Still a long way off from making a decision on this... No matter which way I go, it's going to be some serious expenditure of cash to get a rifle up and running. :)

JBRIII
08-20-08, 12:51
I asked George about barrel length and what I wanted to do with the rifle. I am mainly going to use it for classes, matches, and a little deer hunting here and there. He says the 22" is his all around favorite and what he recommends. I just went with that. If I decide to suppress it in the future I can always have him cut it back and trhead it to a shorter length.

I went with DPMS upper/lower combo on his recommendation as well. Also mag availability/interchangeability as the military uses the same mags in their new Semi Auto SWS.

Lo4t
09-07-08, 21:10
When it comes to price, the GAP is the best deal as far as I can tell except for the lack of a muzzle brake that I'd probably have installed (or thread the barrel for a suppressor).
<><

GAP offers 2 different muzzle breaks, I think it is the Badger Ordnance thruster and the BO FTE. They have info about them on the BO site.

I am in the same boat as you as far as trying to decide. I am trying to decide strictly between the GAP and the JP because they both offer the rifle in .260. I have scoured the internet trying to find a review of the JP with no luck but I have read quite a bit of positive review about the GAP including some that seem most improbable:

http://leveron.com/pix/ar10-260/

I think both rifles will be superb, but I am going to probably use the price as a tie breaker, even after buying a 200 case the GAP gun will be about 500 cheaper (in .260). Happy hunting.

L04t

DHC45
09-07-08, 21:44
I asked George about barrel length and what I wanted to do with the rifle. I am mainly going to use it for classes, matches, and a little deer hunting here and there. He says the 22" is his all around favorite and what he recommends. I just went with that. If I decide to suppress it in the future I can always have him cut it back and trhead it to a shorter length.

I went with DPMS upper/lower combo on his recommendation as well. Also mag availability/interchangeability as the military uses the same mags in their new Semi Auto SWS.

I am by no means an expert in barrels. Heck, I'm not even a novice... but my personal thought is that if a barrel was built at a certain length, it should stay that length. If a shorter barrel is needed, get a shorter barrel. I've read a few write-ups by long range shooters that had barrels shot out sooner than expected after being cut down. May or may not be a coincidence, but...

I'm leaning toward 20" personally, but for long range, 22" is probably the best. I also agree with the DPMS logic for the same reasons (assuming I could come across some KAC mags in my "travels"...)

GAP offers 2 different muzzle breaks, I think it is the Badger Ordnance thruster and the BO FTE. They have info about them on the BO site.

I am in the same boat as you as far as trying to decide. I am trying to decide strictly between the GAP and the JP because they both offer the rifle in .260. I have scoured the internet trying to find a review of the JP with no luck but I have read quite a bit of positive review about the GAP including some that seem most improbable:

http://leveron.com/pix/ar10-260/

I think both rifles will be superb, but I am going to probably use the price as a tie breaker, even after buying a 200 case the GAP gun will be about 500 cheaper (in .260). Happy hunting.

L04t

My only concern with the JP is that it appears to be proprietary in design and parts... I'm saying that from sheer observation and not having asked JP... I also am not fond of the lack of a dust cover. That said, I do like the design of the rifle!

Still no decision made, though... I'm in the middle of a 5.56 build at this moment so the 7.62 build is on a back-burner...

Good luck with your builds!