PDA

View Full Version : Sidesaddle vs. Shotgun Card

Black_Sheep
12-05-15, 14:44
I'm leaning towards using shotgun cards for carrying reloads on the gun. If you're using a sidesaddle or shotgun cards, please share your feelings about the pros & cons.

Thanks in advance, Mark

Allen
12-05-15, 17:02
Cards all the way. I had a Mesa on my M2 for a while and while it was fine, there was no good way of organizing reloads. Wound up with a two pocket claymore/messenger bag, 1 part full of buck, 1 of slug. Had to index every shell when reloading and had to feed both the gun and the carrier. Picked up about $50 of EssTac cards from SKD on sale and a PETZL Caritool Ice Carabiner from REI- if I'm in a hurry the empty card goes into the bag, if I have a second it goes on the caritool so I know I'm pulling a full card every time from the bag.
Al

*ETA*- Omen makes a good point below, use 3M loop & clean with a alcohol or a de-greaser before applying it.

Omen
12-05-15, 17:31
I think the cards are a game changer. As long as the hook side on the gun is of high quality; the benefits of being able to tailor cards to certain loads, quickly change out cards, and better organize shells can't be beat.

Uprange41
12-05-15, 17:51
If you're running a chest rig, cards are the way to go, no question.

If you just have it against the door, I'd go sidesaddle. The added functionality to change cards is lost when you aren't actually using it in conjunction with a source of other cards.

daddyusmaximus
12-05-15, 22:09
I must not spend enough time on the internet. This is the first I've heard of a shotgun card. Looks like a cool solution, but I like the side saddle. I'll never use a shotgun as anything but a hunting tool, unless it's all I had. I don't even like it as a HD tool. I want a magazine fed rifle for any serious work. About 5 or 6 in the gun and 5 or 6 more on it is the limit you need on a shotgun, or you need something different.

gibsonsg05
12-05-15, 22:21
I say saddle on the gun and cards on a chest rig (such as the SOE rig). I just don't trust that card staying put (long term).

Psybain
12-06-15, 04:02
Back when I had a shotgun I started with a side saddle then moved to cards and never went back. The ability to have a near-instant reload for your side saddle (or being able to swap out for a different loadout as mentioned above) is a game changer.

SgtKeeblerUSMC
12-06-15, 08:46
I haven't used the cards before, but I think it's dependant on what it's intended purpose is. If it's geared towards competitions I see cards being way better. If it's a home defense or work shotgun I would say go with side saddle. I'm a peace officer and work in Texas, I found leaving adhesive back things in a hot car don't last long. With the side saddle when I pull it from the mount I don't have to think or worry if it hits something and my extra rounds going missing.

I have the side armor/Asgard defense side saddle for my M4 and it's quick detach. They sell additional 4/6/8 round saddles, but it's more expensive than the cards.

bruin
12-06-15, 23:59
If you go with cards, the most critical thing is to use hook Velcro on your receiver that is acrylic based and high temp. I recommend the 3M VELCRO that holds from -25 to 225 deg F. Proper degreasing before application is also key.

Next you have to pick a card with elastic that doesn't loosen with shells stored in it. I looked for long term and any negative reviews of the different brands out there, and settled on Ares gear for now. I might try HGSI later to see if the polymer loops hold up better.

With a solid hook application and a reliable card, the cons of the card are mitigated. No real downsides compared to a sidesaddle. I don't see any advantages to the Arid Q-DC, though I applaud their ingenuity.

AutoFiend
12-09-15, 18:17
HGSI cards all the way

jdgiii
12-09-15, 20:32
I went with cards. I have an 870 that lives I my pickup as a defensive gun and with a barrel change also doubles as my primary hunting shotgun. The cards make the transition much easier than having to remove a hard side saddle.

ETA: I prefer the 5 round ESSTAC cards

JasonB1
12-10-15, 14:08
I have been using a S&J Hardware DSC for several months on an 870 and much prefer it to to the Tacstar side saddle I have. Much more consistent feel between slots and lower profile.

jbjh
12-10-15, 23:18
+1 on INDUSTRIAL 3M Velcro. Don't just grab some stuff at Lowes and think it's all good.

As an experiment, I used epoxy to attach the Velcro to an old TacStar side saddle plate, instead of directly to the receiver. No having to worry about temperature this or that.

The HSGI cards are about as good as you can get. Fit right nice in a M4 pouch as well.

Sent from 80ms in the future
Jimmy

bruin
12-11-15, 00:51
HSGI recently updated their cards to be elastic 5-shell, FWIW.

SDSwoll
12-23-15, 01:25
Run side saddle at work, HSGI polymer loop cards on my personal 870P. Much prefer cards and would swap the work 870 if I could. Also +1 on the 3m industrial Velcro, been running mine pretty steady for over a year and no issues.